I got a starter kit last year..... Laguna guitar with a line 6 spider III 15 watt amp. I told myself to start slow and see how it goes, then if I am playing a I am ready to move out and start upgrading my guitar and my rig.

I am playing a lot of U2 and Grateful Dead, all rhythm no lead. I know that is a weird mix, but blues and rock are what I mainly focus on. I am leaning towards a fender strat simply with a humbucker pickup for the bottom pickup. Unfortunately I want the american one and that is around $1500 .

What are some guitars that are under around $800 that I should look at for the style I am looking to play. I know there are a lot our there so I am going to the board for advice.

Also, what is a good amp I should look at for this as well?
u could get this, its american made but i heard someone say it 85% american made

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Highway-One-HSS-Stratocaster?sku=512870

for amp check out blackstar ht-5
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
I think you'd be better off with something like this:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Lonestar-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=515526

It's a Mexican Strat, but it has better pickups then the Highway One, and MiM Strats have a pretty decent reputation for quality too.

Edit: Also, what's your budget for an amp?
R.I.P. Lester William Polsfuss June 9, 1915–August 13, 2009
Quote by Moggan13
I'm dissapointed by the lack of penis.

If anyone sigs that, i'll fucking kill them.
Quote by Kensai
I'm a good person and I never meet any pretty girls who loves jesus
Budget?

Bottom pickup is called bridge pickup
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
LOL!! Thanks, I am a total newb! I don't want to go over $800. I hear PRS guitars are awesome, as well as schecter c-1's.

Quote by Axeaman
Budget?

Bottom pickup is called bridge pickup
Quote by iamthunderman
LOL!! Thanks, I am a total newb! I don't want to go over $800. I hear PRS guitars are awesome, as well as schecter c-1's.

so $800 for both guitar and amp or for guitar only?

The Schecter C-1 Classic is also a good choice. If u want PRS, theres the SE Custom or the SE singlecut.
You're going to want to replace that amp as well,since the quality of your new guitar wont really shine through a small solid state modeling amp.

That being said,an HSS strat and small tube amp like a blackstar ht-5 or a Fender Super Champ XD sounds like it would fit your budget and playing style really well.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

get a tiny terror and a mexican strat, with nice pickups they are as good as mia tbfh
AXL Guitars

axlguitars.com
[img]http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/10/24/633604588429325324-annoyance.jpg[/img]

Billy Mays is definitely gonna give me nightmares now.

Quote by xxGUITARZER0xx
honestly no

but i just did the pallet town theme song cause someone wanted that

Quote by speakers
all of the above
Quote by anderseb
AXL Guitars

axlguitars.com

I just looked them up,and good god do they look f*cking horrible.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Go try a bunch out at your local store. Once you get an idea of what you like the feel of, come back and get some recommendations based on that.
yeah try a load out, but id go for a PRS, I'm saving up for one now xD
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa