Ok well i have this chord and it contains the notes

A C# E F# G#

so i thought it was a Amaj7Add13
but the E is on the 5th string and the A was on the 4th string so wouldn't that make the root note E or does it not matter where the root note is as long as it contains the right notes?

The chord would look like this

E--9-- C#
B--9-- G#
G--11-- F#
D--7-- A
A--7-- E
E--X--

But then i was thinking what if i removed the 5th (E) what would i get?

E--9-- C#
B--9-- G#
G--11-- F#
D--7-- A
A--X--
E--X--

Little help please ^^
Don't Be Afraid and just look across Blue Fields.
You'll eventually see the Fisherman's Horizon.
Last edited by Novalydian at Nov 25, 2009,
It doesn't really matter where the root note is...technically...but then it's all about the sound in the end.

You can call either chord Amaj13, probably simplist way (unless you want to call the first one "EMajAdd9Add11Add13", because there's no 7th if you call E the root ).

What matters most is how it functions within the progression.
if you look at it as an Amaj13 (yes its fine to call it this...all you really need is the root, the 3rd, 7th and the colour tone ie the 13th), the root will be A. doesnt matter if its not in the bass or not ALTHOUGH i tend to always put the root in the bass for chords like these otherwise they can sound a bit odd

its okay to keep the 5th in if you want since its a 5 note chord so you can still hammer n claw it with your 5 fingers, but generally if you wanted the 9th (or if you were crazy and wanted the 11th) you would GENERALLY leave out the 5th coz its a dud note
AMaj13 implies the 7, 9, and 11 in it.

It's probs just me, but if I saw that chord I'd be like wah? And end up playing all the notes, leaving out the fifth and maybe 11th.

I think AMaj7add13 is more accurate, and less daunting for someone when they come across it on a piece of music with no chord shapes.
Quote by mdwallin

It's probs just me, but if I saw that chord I'd be like wah? And end up playing all the notes, leaving out the fifth and maybe 11th.

I think AMaj7add13 is more accurate, and less daunting for someone when they come across it on a piece of music with no chord shapes.

i dont know about you but have you tried playing a 13th chord with the 11th? it sounds awful dissonant. its an avoid note for a major chord (unless u omit the 3rd, which is generally a stupid idea)

it can be played with the 9th or not. both will work fine.
Quote by mdwallin

A M13 chord only HAS to have the R, M3, M7, 13 intervals. Have you tried playing a chord with a R, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13 voicing on a six-string guitar? That's why in guitar theory we toss out the non-essential tones that will not affect the quality and type of the chord.
I think we're all getting way too deep into this.

I still say that either chord is Amaj13- theory isn't always about overanalysing things, sometimes its what makes the most sense, and whats simplest.