Hey guys,
I use a Fender Stratocaster and I've been dying for a floating bridge system. Is there a floating bridge that I can install with out performing major surgery on my guitar? I currently use the stock bridge (which bores me because it moves in only one direction... down). I don't feel like buying another guitar just for a floating bridge system.
Behind Last Place - Rhythm Guitarist
Yngwie Malmsteen Custom Fender - "Yusuke"
Hyunwoo Custom Fender - "SHP"
Takamine PT-406 - "Takamoto"

Current Project : Hyunwoo Custom Fender - "YSP"
On my strat I actually have the stock bridge floating a little by itself, just adjust the spring claw in the back so that the bridge floats about a 1/4 inch off the body. It will help your guitar stay in tune better because of the tension, and it'll give you a little room to pull up on the bridge. Nothing drastic like a Floyd, but it's easier than routing it out.
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
You'll need to do at least some routing to fit a floating bridge.
Although by adjusting the springs in the back you can set a standard Strat trem to 'float' anyway - there's no reason for the bridge to be flat against the body. Just make sure your tuners and nut are perfect first, and your strings properly stretched, or you'll be constantly out of tune.

There's also a major downside of floating trems - one that drives me mental on my S-series. Bending one string will pull the other strings out of pitch, so bluesy double-stop licks with bends, or playing bends with chords/bass notes Hendrix-style, will sound a bit out of tune.

If you think you can't do enough with a standard strat trem, you haven't been listening to enough Jeff Beck!
Guitar World magazine actually had a review on a product that was a direct replacement for a strat trem and it was floating.. You can try thier website and check and see then name of it. I can't remember for the life of me.
The vintage trem that is probably on there now can be set to float. Mine is. Stays in tune perfectly. You won't the get range of a floyd rose type but it's good enough for me.

Loosen some of the screws (starting with the outer 2 on a MIM strat) and adjust claw screws/springs accordingly.

There is a Set Up thread in EG that explains it a little better.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
The vintage trem that is probably on there now can be set to float. Mine is. Stays in tune perfectly. You won't the get range of a floyd rose type but it's good enough for me.

Loosen some of the screws (starting with the outer 2 on a MIM strat) and adjust claw screws/springs accordingly.

There is a Set Up thread in EG that explains it a little better.

this. there is a thread somewhere with a full write up, or u can just google it. i did it on mine for a while and it was great. lacking in range but no FR headaches. and if u decide to downtune, itll sink to its original spot and stay there like normal, unlike FR's that have to constantly adjusted for different tunings.

if u float it high and get maybe less tense springs for the claw, it can be very similar to a FR.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Like can I get one that is the same effect of a Floyd Rose? Or is that out of the question and requires a lot of work and rerouting?

Quote by sheaaa
Guitar World magazine actually had a review on a product that was a direct replacement for a strat trem and it was floating.. You can try thier website and check and see then name of it. I can't remember for the life of me.

Super Vee?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22

YES!!! This is the answer!!! I am so going to buy this!!! Thanks so much!

Quote by BLPAlpha
YES!!! This is the answer!!! I am so going to buy this!!! Thanks so much!

no problem.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22

Thats actually pertty badass, +1 man for finding that.

But it wont give you the travel of a floyd. A flyod is a floating bridge, it dosent rest on anything, its kept in place by string tension and spring tension. So essencily you would have to cut a whole through the guitar to allow the back end of the floyd to go back instead of resting on the body. Its major surgery any way you go.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Thats actually pertty badass, +1 man for finding that.

But it wont give you the travel of a floyd. A flyod is a floating bridge, it dosent rest on anything, its kept in place by string tension and spring tension. So essencily you would have to cut a whole through the guitar to allow the back end of the floyd to go back instead of resting on the body. Its major surgery any way you go.

not necessarilly. you can lean the bridge ahead a little to you can raise the pitch. Jeff beck does it t hat way and he gets a decent amount of travel. not like Dimebag or Satch or Steve Vai, but enough for versatility's sake.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
not necessarilly. you can lean the bridge ahead a little to you can raise the pitch. Jeff beck does it t hat way and he gets a decent amount of travel. not like Dimebag or Satch or Steve Vai, but enough for versatility's sake.

I know, I have my bridge set about 1/4 in from the body, it gets decent travel, but things like dime squeelys are pertty hard to pull off effectivly. But what I'm saying is that is basicly impossible to put a floyd style floating bridge in a strat without major surgery on the guitar.