Hi all,

After loads of threads, and consideration. I am ready to part ways with my 5150 combo for something more suited to my needs.

Let me see if you can help:

Budget will be around $800 or so if I can sell the 5150 for a nice price. (obviously I am throwing in extra money I won't sell it for 800)

I want to be able to sound nice at bedroom levels mainly, but with the ability to grow in.

I think I want a British voiced amp -- I want to nail Van Halen and AC/DC to Weezer and have the ability to get some Grungy/Punky tones.

I want it to have 2 channels with a footswitch and an FX loop!

Thanks much!
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
Quote by kyle62
Jcm800?

+1.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
It being 50w will this do bedroom levels better? My 5150 did bedroom levels because of the heavy pregain distortion -- I doubt this is the exact same case with the jcm...

and I cant find any around here on CL
Quote by sixstringedmatt
It being 50w will this do bedroom levels better? My 5150 did bedroom levels because of the heavy pregain distortion -- I doubt this is the exact same case with the jcm...

and I cant find any around here on CL

Listen, tube amps don't do bedroom levels all that well, alright? If you're not gigging/recording and don't have anywhere you can occasonally turn it up, anything bigger than an HT-5 is a waste of money.
You're right that the more youer amp relies on preamp gain, the less you'll need to turn it up to get a usable tone - but it's still pointless.

Using a tube amp at home is like using a Bugatti Veyron on a go-kart track.

Given the choice between a JCM800 I could never turn up past '2', or a PC with studio monitors/headphones, a USB interface and a copy of Revalver III, I'd take the PC in a heartbeat.
Last edited by kyle62 at Nov 25, 2009,
If a JCM 800 is pushing in money wise you might try for a Laney. I like it just as much as any Marshall I've played. Essential the tone is very Marshallesque but with a little more balls, maybe not much more gain but defiantly something. I'm using a Laney GH50L and it is one channel with a foot switchable gain boost which helps a lot. It would probably be able to do the tones you want. I can play Van Halen with the boost off and then adjust my guitar's volume to do anything else like ACDC or whatever.

I got mine for $400 used with no problems whatsoever and I've seen them go for around $600-$700.

Edit: I didn't realize you're looking for bedroom volume too. I'd have to say +1 on the HT-5 then or maybe just get a cheap Microcube and use the rest of the money for hookers and blow. In all seriousness though if you're going to try to use anything for bedroom practice I'd go for the Blackstar or Microcube for a better tone there.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
Last edited by FFFDFEFRFKFFF at Nov 25, 2009,
I suppose the issue is being in bedroom levels most of the time, am I forcing myself to solid state?
You can always get the 800 and put an autenator in the effects loop.. This will let you crank the amp and tubes to it's full potential so you get that awsome sound, but it will keep the amp at bedroom level loudness.
That would make him burn through tubes a lot faster, I mean if that's something that sounds good to him then whatever but it seems like a waste to me. I'd personally get the JCM800 and some POS practice amp but I don't play bedroom volume that often.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
Well, I could get an attenuator now and it may help my 5150, but I think the atty is out of the question at this point.
Quote by sheaaa
You can always get the 800 and put an autenator in the effects loop.. This will let you crank the amp and tubes to it's full potential so you get that awsome sound, but it will keep the amp at bedroom level loudness.

You've never used an attenuator, have you?

Rather than 'limit yourself to solid states', you could try looking at modelling solutions (such as the PC software like Revavler and Guitar Rig I mentioned, as well as the Line6 Flextone/Vetta etc).

You should also look at low wattage valve amps like the Blackstar HT-5, Fargen Mini Plex (though you're not going to get one of them for $800, believe me!), Laney Lionheart L5T-112, etc.
Actually yes.. I know you can't just turn everything to 10 and turn the thing on and get what you want like that. I doesn't cut so much off. But he can turn his amp to a normal lowish setting that gets a good sound then use it. But he isn't so it doesn't matter.
i get good sound out of a couple tube amps in my bed room all the time. sure you dont get roaring power amp distortion, but thats what OD pedals are for.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by sheaaa
Actually yes.. I know you can't just turn everything to 10 and turn the thing on and get what you want like that. I doesn't cut so much off. But he can turn his amp to a normal lowish setting that gets a good sound then use it. But he isn't so it doesn't matter.

i think he was really referring to the fact you mentioned "sticking an attenuator in the loop."
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Did you ever consider smaller tube amps. Right now the Blackstar HT-5 is one of my favorites but there is also the tiny terror and night train.

the orange tiny terror is single channel so you have to crank it to get distortion. and the night train by vox is similar but you don't have to crank it quite as much.
I have looked into them and am considering them heavily, I have an OD/Dist on the way from GC that I could use to crank, i would have loved 2 channels, but I suppose I can manage.

I assume they have an FX loop though?
Really considering the ht-5 just gotta find a place to try one out
Marshall 5210. It's a discontinued amp from the 80's that's solid state, but quite similar to the JCM800. It has a warm, robust sound and in tone has been compared to a Sound City. They also have great headroom. However, for anything heavier than blues, you'll probably need a boost of some sort. But, 5210's sell as cheap as $50-100, so you'll have plenty left over for the needed dirt.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SAD MAFIOSO σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Originally Posted by jgbsmith
Guys, guys - put your penises away, we have a lady in the house!
Quote by kyle62
Jcm800?

I have a 50watt JCM and its fricken loud!!! My 5 watt laney lionheart on the other hand would be perfect for what you are lookin for. I would give it a test drive. I can't understand why people aren't going nuts for these things.
Quote by sixstringedmatt
Really considering the ht-5 just gotta find a place to try one out

Well to describe it, i would say that it sounds british, very compressed and a little loose.

It would suit you but you can still do better. Not all tube amps need to be cranked to sound good anyway, and even then they don't sound bad at low levels, just not at they're full potential.

I say the JCM800 or 900, a Laney or if you really want an SS amp for low volumes, an old Marshall Valvestate (which you could pick up pretty cheap too).
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Maybe save up a bit and look into a Budda Superdrive 18 and an OD.

Be warned, in spite of its wattage it's still loud as fuck.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??