Hey everyone, Christmas is coming around the corner, and I would have LOVED to buy an amp used, but craigslist is showing no results. I'm getting it as a Christmas present, but, I'm buying it now so I can use it to practice with my band.

Here's a list of important information in which will tell you everything that I need.

Okay, I was thinking going around to pawn shops but they usually suck around here, so, I don't know, If this bares no results then I guess i'll try that.

I'd also like to get a footpedal for the amp so I can change from clean to distortion, vice versa, unless you can recommend a good distortion pedal that doesn't sound like crap, since a boss pedal I used a couple years ago sounded bad.

Thanks
        Poop.

Yes, poop.
        $400 is gunna push it to find a good metal amp
        maybe a bugera 6260 combo?
        but that may be too much

peavey vypyr? maybe
        Gear
        Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
        Epiphone SG G400 White
        Line 6 Flextone III+
        Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
        try to save a wittle bit more, u could get the 6505 combo (the 1x12)
        I own a Gibson SG Standard
        And I am officialy recognized as an SG commando

Gibson 2009 SG Standard --> Peavey Classic 50 2x12

RIP Lester William Polsfuss aka Les Paul 1915-2009
        RIP Stephen Ray Vaughan aka SRV 1954-1990
        Wait until after christmas when everyone is selling their stuff cause:

A) they dont like it.

B) They have something better.

You're FAR more likely to find something.
        If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
        I like the waiting till after christmas, but, my band can't practice until I get a new one, since my 30 watt can't handle the volume.
        Poop.

Yes, poop.
        Quote by MattAnderson111
        I like the waiting till after christmas, but, my band can't practice until I get a new one, since my 30 watt can't handle the volume.

Then in the mean time, tell everyone to turn the amps down and the drummer 2 NOT GU SIK.
        Quote by MattAnderson111

If a 30 watt amp can't handle practice then you guys are either practicing way too loud, or you've scooped your mids far too much.

If your desperate you can always look at a Roland Cube 60x or 80x, maybe a 65w Kustom Quad or a Crate Flexwave or something. None are all that great of options really. At minimum I'd recommend saving up for at least a Peavey Vypyr. Or better yet a used XXX
        Take a look at the Ibanez TBX150R my friend just bought the older 100w ibanez tone blaster but i am looking into getting the TBX150R. My friend loves his amp and i listened to a couple videos on youtube, the distortion is amazing on this amp. people who reviewed this amp say they love it. It is like $380 at guitarcenter or musiciansfriend.
        Okay, I've basically narrowed it down to the Spider IV 75 watt or the Peavey Vypyr 75 watt, both are the same price.

Now I know a million people are like LINE 6 TONE SUX, but, my 30 watt is a spider II and I get decent tone out of it,but, I may TRY the Vypyer since it's Peavey, and they have more of a name for amps.
        Poop.

Yes, poop.
        Quote by MattAnderson111
        Okay, I've basically narrowed it down to the Spider IV 75 watt or the Peavey Vypyr 75 watt, both are the same price.

Now I know a million people are like LINE 6 TONE SUX, but, my 30 watt is a spider II and I get decent tone out of it,but, I may TRY the Vypyer since it's Peavey, and they have more of a name for amps.

Why settle for "decent" if you can get "great"

I hear the vypyr is much better than the spider. I've never tried either, though.
        If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
        play the vypyr you'll probably realise we people say the spider sucks(not all line 6 the flextone and vetta are pretty nice) ooh actually maybe a used flextone not sure what the prices are like over in america
        also they'd be no point upgrading from a 30 watt spider to a 75 watt
        they'll sound the same except one will be slightly louder.. not worth it really
        Gear
        Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
        Epiphone SG G400 White
        Line 6 Flextone III+
        Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
        Quote by MattAnderson111

No matter which side of the Line6 argument you subscribe to, one thing can be said for certain. Line6 amps can't cut through the mix at loud volumes. On top of that, you really don't get as much extra volume jumping from 30w to 75w as you might think. So if that's the option you go with then I'd be absolutely sure to get it from a place with a 30 day return policy and test the bejeesus out of it in that time.
        ^^

I plan on it.

I could have gone for a 120 watt, but, I really want a foot pedal, and with my budget, I need the 75 watt because we switch a lot between clean and distortion.
        Poop.

Yes, poop.
        Again though, 75 or 120. It really wouldn't make a huge difference.

Wattage does not = volume and the fact of the matter is Spider's do not work in bands unless you're VERY quiet on stage. They're voiced in such a way that they cannot cut through the mix.

I don't know how serious you are about playing in a band, or how far you want to take your music, but buying another Spider is basically putting a match to your money. The Vypyr is a better choice by miles.

Honestly you'd be even better renting (or a payment plan) on a 5150, JSX, XXX or something of that sort. At least one of those is a viable amp to use for as long as you may need to.
        I'm gonna go with the Vypyr 75 watt, it should be loud enough for practices, my 30 watt would start crackling at practices when i turned it up since I needed to turn it up ALL the way to hear it over our drums
        Poop.

Yes, poop.