I am just about to go ahead and by myself a new amp head, possibly a TT, a Night Train, a Marshall, Laney, Peavey, Egnater, I'm not sure.

I've seen folk saying that they have Peavey heads and Bogner cabs. What i was wondering is how important it is to buy the cab of the same make as the head. Could i say buy a Vox Head and fit it to a Marshall cab. How does this effect the tone and are there any cabs that sound better with a different make of head???

Anyone?
the brand name of the head and cab doesn't matter
as long as the impedance matches ( quite a few amps are switchable ) and that the speakers can take the wattage of your hjead otherwise jsut mix and match
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
As long as the impendance matches, the speakers give the sound you're looking for and the cab is well built, the brand name doesn't change anything.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

A brand on a cab is a general indication of quality and characteristic - Orange cabs, for example, are solidly built, fairly bright and tight sounding cabs, where as the oversized Mesa cabs have a monstrous low end. Oftentimes the cabs are designed to work well with the corresponding heads from the same brand, but if you know what kind of cab would give you the sound you want with your amp, then mixing and matching's a good idea.
You don't forcefully have to match the amp head brand with its same cab brand. You can use any brand's cab as long as the cab's impedance matches the impedance on your amp head Mixing & matching different brands is a great idea, it lets you know how your amp sounds & reacts with different cabs. Goodluck with picking your new amp

On a side note, I own a laney head (gh100l) & tried their cab when i was shopping for one. Avoid current Laney cabs, they have cheaper/afforable celestion 70/80s in them & they sound really bright. Their head on the other hand are great but not with stock tubes, these tubes are also cheaper/affordable versions, but with an entire retube these heads are awesome.
I eventually settled on a mesa oversized cab incase ya wanna know.. (i found it good to my ears with my amp)
Cheers guys,

Quote by vishal_metalhed
Avoid current Laney cabs, they have cheaper/afforable celestion 70/80s in them & they sound really bright.

and, yes i noticed that they were cheaper than alot of other 2x12 cabs, so thanks ALOT for that.

I'm looking at slightly lower wattage all tube amps from like 50 down to 15. I got a stack of ideas, but any more obscure suggestions that i might not have heard of, would be nice
Quote by Mini-Jimmy-Page
I got a stack of ideas, but any more obscure suggestions that i might not have heard of, would be nice

Whats your budget, which part of the planet you live in & where are ya gonna be using it & well what kind of music are ya into?
lol a lot of questions but it helps to narrow down the options
Also a combo wont be a bad choice if your staying at 50W & below
yes but i want a head, simple as! LOL.

Live in Britain. Nice to spend less than £500, but if its bloody amazing i'll spend more. I love my distortio and play with a much heavier style than the music i listen to (led zep, Black sabbath, Deep Purple).

Suggestions would be nice. But i'm ot someone that reads reviews and then buys an amp. In a few weeks i'll be trying them all out in shops, so the more suggestions the better!
Quote by Mini-Jimmy-Page
yes but i want a head, simple as! LOL.

Live in Britain. Nice to spend less than £500, but if its bloody amazing i'll spend more. I love my distortio and play with a much heavier style than the music i listen to (led zep, Black sabbath, Deep Purple).

Suggestions would be nice. But i'm ot someone that reads reviews and then buys an amp. In a few weeks i'll be trying them all out in shops, so the more suggestions the better!

okie a head it is lol In UK you should be able to find laneys & ENGL amps cheaper, try the gh50l head though with a different cab(orange cab if its around) You might like it, but if ya not really gigging out then 50W is too much for home use, unless you want to spend on an attenuator & scarifice a slight amount of your tone...
That £500 is for head alone or you are counting the cab in it as well & that too used or are ya looking to buy one brand new? Cause then the whole thing can get expensive if its all new, mostly if its a 50W head. Depending where ya using it, for home & practice 15W all tube will be plenty though
For lower wattages like 15w & 2x12cab, £500 should be fine to get some quality stuff. I'd suggest looking at TT, its a nice little amp & even the Vox AC4TV(5W amp though).
Try whatever amps you can find & stay away from SS marshalls & SS line 6 stuff lol
Yes well i was looking between 50 and 15 watts casue i want it to be good for both home and gigging. I have a 50Watt solid state at the mo and regularly crank i up full so sound isn't really an issue.

I looked at the Laneys and they looked nice, the Lionhearts seemed to tick alll the boxes. Any suggestion on what ENGL??

It doesn't have to be new, if you know of amps that are particularly hard wearing and will be in fine condiotion used, then i am fine to consider it, especially if it saves me a buck or two.

I have been swatting up on these amps and most reviews say that although the TT and the Vox's are good value for like £300, but that a THD Univalve for a fair bit more is in an entirely different tonal categorie. So yes i would consider stuff like that used.

£500 for just the head as i can jack it into the speakers i already have. and then buy cabs at a later date !

wel thats alot to take in....................
kay I searched the forums and couldn't find an answer to this.....I made a thread earlier about what amp I should get, and my 3 top choices in order are Marshall JCM800, Fender Twin, and Mesa Mark IV. Anyways, they are out of my price range new, but where do you buy used amps from. I live near Atlanta.

I did find the used Fender Twin on guitarcenter.com but it was barely used so the price only went down about $100. Where is a reliable store/site to buy used amps from?