Hey guys, I bought my first bass yesterday from my friend and I've been having lots of fun practicing.

The one thing I'm unsure of is where to put your thumb when playing fingerstyle or whatever? I've been switching between anchoring it on the pickup and anchoring it on the string below the one I'm playing. Whats the proper technique for this? Also, what are some muting techniques for bass?
I hate my sig
Fine, bass forum... I thought you guys were friendly and helpful here *sniff* I even read the stickies
I hate my sig
just be patient. we will get round to it.
i put my thumb on the pickup for the e-string.
my thumb on the e string for the a string and on the a string for the d and g string.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Have a look through this section of studybass.com.

And the bass forum is a tad slower than the other UG forums - no need to keep bumping your thread

As for how I do it, I pretty much do the same as moody git posted above me.

stratkat
K guys, sorry, I'm just more used to the more poputated Electric Guitar forum Thanks
I hate my sig
let your finger float. makes playing without a pickup in your usual spot much easier.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
yeah TS your technique is actually pretty descent. and as for muting resting your thumb on the lowest sounding string will mute that string and usually any above it. as for any strings higher than the one playing you can use other fingers on your fretting hand for those
no sir away a papaya war is on
yea i like putting my thumb on the the pickup for E and E string for A and so on, mine is pretty much parallel the string or slightly to the right
I've just started playing again and I find myself

Pickup for E string
Pickup for A string
E string for D string
A string for G string

I find doing it this way I'm able to keep all the other strings well muted.
I use a little of everything. I use strings, Pickups, and for a few riffs, I anchor up on the edge of my neck. I would say there is no "proper" technique. Just do what ever is comfortable for you. I reanchor my hand about 5 or 6 times a song.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Thumb position is when you play up the neck and use your thumb to play the note, cause you can place behind the neck.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Bass guitar is so awesome! Just wanted to add that. I don't understand how anyone says playing bass is boring. I'm having so much fun firguring out how to play all the songs I can play on guitar on bass
I hate my sig