Everytime I play without warming up I tend to screw up soo often, but some other guitarists I know can just pick up a guitar and shred straight away, what is their secret!!!
Their secret: they have these hands you know and they have these legs also, so what do they do? they walk up to the guitar using their legs, than what? than they pick up the guitar with their hands, then what? the main part of their secret is this - they have fingers!
they use their fingers to play right away! that's it...just being bored don't get me wrong.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Pratice pratice pratice pratice pratice. And more pratice.

This, but I guarantee you that no one can play as well when they've just picked up a guitar than when they're warmed up.
Quote by Beserker
This, but I guarantee you that no one can play as well when they've just picked up a guitar than when they're warmed up.

+1

after 15 years i can assure you that while i can just pick up and play a guitar, i sound and play alot better after about an hour or so. the thing is your relative ability continues to grow as you learn so after 5 or 10 years you can pick up and play like its not a big deal. i could just grab a guitar and throw down creeping death or master of puppets right off the bat where some people would think thats nuts to try without some warming up. but alot of the crazy solo stuff i do i need about an hour of warmup so that my hands dont trip over themselves.

hopefully in as couple years i wont need an hour to do the crazy solo stuff, i can do that 24/7 and there'll be something more difficult im working on then.
Quote by GuideToGenocide
Their secret: they have these hands you know and they have these legs also, so what do they do? they walk up to the guitar using their legs, than what? than they pick up the guitar with their hands, then what? the main part of their secret is this - they have fingers!

This was funny Of course, I hope the author was not offended, I just looove sarcasm

Well, if you want me to be honest...when I'm not warmed up, I don't wanna shred, and when I have to shred, I'd usualy use some show-off licks in some symmetric scale or some scale that has less finger changing, like Mixolydian, Diminished, Half-Whole, Whole tone...they are really easy to the fingers when you tune in Perfect Fourths.

People who do this more proficiently look like people that can play like hell without warming up.
I am Žile, I'm from Serbia, and I like guitars... and beans of course...never underestimate well cooked beans!

Join Alternate tunings
TUNED OUT
And they can probably shred even better after they're warmed up. It's not like you can't play at all when you're not warmed up, just not up to your full potential. I get frustrated with that too
I hate my sig
To me it's more about literally warming up my hands; if I wash my hands in warm, almost hot water prior to playing my playing becomes fluent right away. To actually feel increased dexterity I have to play for at least half an hour.

This man can. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGKAjAq8X6c&feature=related

True, it's not a guitar...but I just got back from studying with him over the weekend and I've witnessed him literally look at a page and play an extraordinarily difficult passage perfectly with all the inflection in the world right after waking up. And he is not a morning person.

I suppose that when you master an instrument so that it becomes as natural and effortless as speaking you needn't go through a warm up routine.
Anybody can do it , I can play quite decently whitout warming up.
But after about 1-2 hours of playing (cold start no warm-up) my playing gets a huge boost , its sharper , faster etc.
The same thing happens when you warm-up , you just get acces to it faster.
Quote by Erc
This man can.

I suppose that when you master an instrument so that it becomes as natural and effortless as speaking you needn't go through a warm up routine.

Nah. If he can play amazing after just waking up, he can play even better when he's warmed up. Ask him.

His playing is very impressive though, but the video is taking forever to load