Hey I was wondering if somebody could help me out. Where would I put an input jack on the gameboy advance to get the guitar to sound 8bit notes. I was hoping that i would get different sounds with every game cartridge I put in. Where would be a good place to put the potentiometers?

Thanks
umm if you have garageband you can do an 8bit sound which is pretty gay as it is. But what is drawing you to this idea?
GEAR
Guitars: LTD V401DX, USA Jackson King V (pre-fender), Knock off Jackson Kelly
Pick ups: EMGs, Seymour Duncans
Amp: Randall RG100SC w/ matching cab
Boss and Dunlop Electronics
Well I just felt like building my own pedal so I grabbed something that might work and I thought well it pretty much has an output jack so I'll try it out on my old gameboy.
I've seen gameboys modded to output 8-bit sounds, but I don't think I've ever heard of someone using them to modulate any kind of input signal into an 8-bit output..

are you basing this idea off someone's existing project, or just hoping it'll work?
because.. I don't think it'll be do-able. you could build a completely different circuit to get you 8-bit sounds, but.. yeah, unless someobnes done this before and you can base this off that, I don't think a gba's gonna get you there..

edit: didnt see your second post till now.. yeah. I really doubt a game boy could take an input signal and output an 8-bit sound..

we could direct you to other easy projects for pedals if you want, though?
Last edited by james4 at Nov 25, 2009,
Uh...

A gameboy has a built in synthesizer. When it makes a sound, it's not a recorded sound being played back. It recieves "instructions" and then synthesizes the sound. I don't think you can connect a guitar to that easily, and even if you could, you would not get the sound you wanted.
Maybe if I hook a couple of jacks to something it'll make my guitar sound like something else!!!1!1!!

It doesn't quite work that way, buddy. Gameboys only have a small chip for a sound processor, and hooking up to just that and letting 'er rip is not going to do anything. You're gonna need to reprogram the sound processor to process an input signal (since I don't believe that the GBA has any kind of input for sound at all) and tell it how to identify pitch and output the signal as "8-bit" (which isn't really true, as the GBA has a more advanced sound processor than a GB or NES).

In short, you'd be better off figuring out other means of getting your guitar to make 8-bit sounds.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
This should make your guitar sound like its 8-bit, it not an actual bit crusher, but it can approximate some of the results of one.
Quote by travislausch
Maybe if I hook a couple of jacks to something it'll make my guitar sound like something else!!!1!1!!

It doesn't quite work that way, buddy. Gameboys only have a small chip for a sound processor, and hooking up to just that and letting 'er rip is not going to do anything. You're gonna need to reprogram the sound processor to process an input signal (since I don't believe that the GBA has any kind of input for sound at all) and tell it how to identify pitch and output the signal as "8-bit" (which isn't really true, as the GBA has a more advanced sound processor than a GB or NES).

In short, you'd be better off figuring out other means of getting your guitar to make 8-bit sounds.

Yeah I know that. I was going to try to circuit bend the thing hoping that I would be able to get some sort of sound out of it.