Hey guys,
My band is currently scoping out USB interfaces for recording, as we want to run our SM57 into the computer. Some of the USB interfaces (Line 6 Pod Studio, for example) come with Pod Farm, and other amp simulation software. I want to just mic my amp, use the tone from my amp, not amp simulation. Is this possible? If so, which USB interface would be a good choice?

P.S. Direct input would work for recording instruments if this is a better option, but I still want to go off my amps original tone, and it needs a mic input for vocals.

Thanks in advance for your help!
How about a high five?

My Gear
Ibanez RG320
Schecter Demon 7
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 30
Bugera 6262/Peavey 412 cabinet
Its possible. I have a Line 6 Pod Farm. I would definitely mess around with what they have to offer in the Pod Farm software, though, before making any final decisions on sound. With the proper tweaking the tones can sound just as real as a regular amp.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
I have heard that, but I am pretty adamant about just getting my amps original tone. I don't have recording software that is compatible with pod farm either, just audacity. My prime situation is having a mic and just recording straight into audacity or reaper, just as if I was using a direct line input.
How about a high five?

My Gear
Ibanez RG320
Schecter Demon 7
Line 6 Spider III 30
By the way, that song on your profile? Was the keyboard and guitar recorded through your POD?
How about a high five?

My Gear
Ibanez RG320
Schecter Demon 7
Line 6 Spider III 30
Mmh, the question which interface to take...
Depends on how many musicians you are and how you want to mic them.
Most important question is how you mic your drummer.

To your question about the amp simulation, you CAN mic your amp, a SM57 should work for this and I would prefer this to a simulation software.

Edit: And it all depends on how much money you want to spend...
Last edited by Jazzman91 at Nov 25, 2009,
I know I can mic my amp, I need an interface that will run my mic'd amp straight to the recording software as an audio signal.
There are 5 musicians, but we can all record seperately, if this is possible, and mix our tracks together afterwards.
For drums, I was planning a single overhead mic, or using a computer generated drum track. I will need to talk to my drummer, it would probably be up to him.

Were looking around 150-200 CND, not including the mic.
How about a high five?

My Gear
Ibanez RG320
Schecter Demon 7
Line 6 Spider III 30
Okay, than I can recommend my interface, a Tascam US-122L. Sound examples are on my profile.

I was fearing that you wanted to record all tracks live, but if you want to do it seperately, the Tascam is the right one. It has two mic inputs and you could use them for direct guitar, too.

(I don't know if it fits your price range, I got it for 130 Euro)
you dont have to use pod farm when you have a toneport, its just optional, you can still go direct into recording software or other programs
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
I checked the price on the website of my local store, and they just happen to have it on sale for 120 CND. I'll definetly look into it. Great tone on your songs by the way, they are really well written.
How about a high five?

My Gear
Ibanez RG320
Schecter Demon 7
Line 6 Spider III 30