I originally got into this tuning because a few of my favorite bands use it (Nightwish, mostly). I've got my second locking trem guitar set up for this, because Emppu uses it from time to time.

I also know that Symphony X (a band that I'd heard of before, but never knew enough about) uses this tuning. However, many of their songs are super hard. I can play some technical stuff (Satch, for example), but nothing super shred speed.

Do they (Symph. X) or any other band that uses Standard D have some songs that are interesting to play, cool to hear, and not super difficult? I'd like to find more uses for this tuning.

~DS
necrophagist? haha just joking! although, you could give it a try!
maybe some Children of Bodom? older stuff though, most the new stuff is drop c
alter bridge uses this tuning for some songs.
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
Check out Exodus, they're pretty cool.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by DarknessSavior
Do they (Symph. X) or any other band that uses Standard D have some songs that are interesting to play, cool to hear, and not super difficult? I'd like to find more uses for this tuning.

Another cool band that uses D tuning is Gojira, check them out, songs like Oroborus, The Art Of Dying, Heaviest Matter In The Universe...

I also think Mastodon uses D tuning, check them out, they're awesome and interesting, especially the newest album.

As for SYX, try listetning to some not so "mainstream" songs from their discography, you should find some interesting songs like The Bird/Serpent War, Orion The Dreamer...
I am Žile, I'm from Serbia, and I like guitars... and beans of course...never underestimate well cooked beans!

Join Alternate tunings
TUNED OUT
Last edited by zhille at Nov 25, 2009,
Quote by SoulSlaughter
necrophagist? haha just joking! although, you could give it a try!
maybe some Children of Bodom? older stuff though, most the new stuff is drop c

Haha. Necrphagist. No screamo stuff for me, thanks.

As far as Children of Bodom goes, I could deal with the screamo for the awesome guitar parts. Around what time did they start using Drop C?

Quote by zhille
As for SYX, try listetning to some not so "mainstream" songs from their discography, you should find some interesting songs like The Bird/Serpent War, Orion The Dreamer...

I've got basically their entire discography. So I listen to 'non-mainstream' songs all the time. Just most of the songs I like have super fast solos ("Paradise Lost", "Revelation", etc...), not just the typical "Sea of Lies" and stuff that most people hear.

I'll look into the songs you and KoenDercksen mentioned. I need to get into Symph. X more.

There's something weird about a band that names themselves "Godzilla" (ゴジラ, or "Gojira" is the Japanese name for Godzilla).

Alter Bridge. Where have I heard of them from? That the band Mark Tremonti went into? I loved his guitar stuff when I first started.

Zaphod_Beeblebrox. Love the name. I'm currently reading "The Restaurant at the end of the Universe". ^^; Any particular Exodus songs you can recommend? I plan on going on a large youtube hunt, but still.

~DS
Quote by DarknessSavior
There's something weird about a band that names themselves "Godzilla" (ゴジラ, or "Gojira" is the Japanese name for Godzilla).

Zaphod_Beeblebrox. Love the name. I'm currently reading "The Restaurant at the end of the Universe". ^^; Any particular Exodus songs you can recommend? I plan on going on a large youtube hunt, but still.

~DS

They are actually called Gojira, they're a french band and wanted to be Godzilla but encountered copyright issues or something, they are awesome though, definitely worth checking out.

I would recommend basically anything on Bonded By Blood or the re-recording Let There Be Blood.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'd like to point out that neither CoB nor Necrophagist is "screamo". Children of Bodom is generally considered melodic death metal and/or thrash metal with keyboards. Necrophagist is a technical death metal band. The vocal techniques used in both genres are generally more growls then screams. Screamo is usually considered to be emo/punk with screamed or shouted vocals rather then clean singing. Either way, neither band would be easy to learn as both tend more towards the "crazy shredder" aspect then you would like.

I've found that Disturbed is quite fun to play. The guitar parts are fun and easy and the solos are moderately challenging. They're in Drop C, but that's not far removed from D standard at all (only the lowest string is different). Try out a couple of songs. Also, +1 to Gojira.
Take me away by Killswitch Engage.
[img]http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/10/24/633604588429325324-annoyance.jpg[/img]

Billy Mays is definitely gonna give me nightmares now.

Quote by xxGUITARZER0xx
honestly no

but i just did the pallet town theme song cause someone wanted that

Quote by speakers
all of the above