Who here had a legitimate guitar teacher? I have been talking to my friends who play guitar, and most of them are self-taught, but there are a few you take or took actual lessons.

I was self-taught for five years, but last Thursday I started lessons with this one guy who is really really good.

My question is, were you self taught, did you have a teacher, did you learn of the internet/out of a book, or what?
Self taught, tried lessons (online lessons though I will say) and they went faaar too slowly. I found teaching myself went at a better pace, obviously.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
I am 60 years old and have been playing since I was 8.

My parents gave me guitar lessons for a Christmas present, so when I started learning I definitely had a teacher - a great one. He was a member of several "stage bands" for various TV entertainment shows, as well as a performer in several bands.

I took "regular" lessons for 4 years. During the last two I started guitar and music theory. Then after completing the "regular" lessons I started learning classical guitar.
Early on there were no "effects" except maybe a reverb or tremolo.
I didn't even learn pitch-bending until the '60s from Hendrix and others.

Today, I really appreciate that training. But the internet and DVD training can be just as good. It is really up to you. The one thing that weekly lessons did was get me into practicing regularly and learning how to learn.

Follow your heart. Try to learn everything you can, but if you find it not interesting that is not a crime! Make your own music!
JamPlay.com

Best website ever! The guitar content is endless and the instructors are great! And they cover many styles of guitar playing! Try it out! First weeks free!
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Stratocaster
Taylor 210 Dreadnought Acoustic
Bogner Alchemist 40w 212 Tube combo
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Korg Pitch Black
I took lessons for 2 or 3 years from a private guy in his house. I think private techers like that will be better than going to a music store or something. It will probably be a more self tailored, personal way of learning.

but you CAN learn on your own. It just depends if you have the motivation
I hate my sig
I'm lucky enough to have a great teacher - he's an awesome player, a fantastic teacher and a really nice guy too. And he somehow knows exactly how much information he can load my brain with before it explodes. I would seriously suck without him
I had a great teacher early on for about a year or two and he improved my ability immensely. Trust me, a good teacher will do that for even someone with a large amount of natural talent, no matter what snobby self taughters think. It's so worth getting a teacher, as long as they know what they're about. Online lessons can be good, but I don't think they could ever live up to face to face tuition.
Quote by santa_man99
Who here had a legitimate guitar teacher? I have been talking to my friends who play guitar, and most of them are self-taught, but there are a few you take or took actual lessons.

I was self-taught for five years, but last Thursday I started lessons with this one guy who is really really good.

My question is, were you self taught, did you have a teacher, did you learn of the internet/out of a book, or what?

I've had lots of different teachers and have learned something from all of them.... even the "bad" ones. I've also learned alot on my own, but I don't think I could have done that if I didn't have some lessons 1st to build off of.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 25, 2009,
I've had a few teachers. Two bad ones and three good ones (two of whom I'm still with).
I love them muchly, they go out of their way to help me out and find out about things I want too know.

One of them I feel like knows EVERYTHING about ANYTHING. Which I guess is how is meant to come across (he teaches at uni) and the other one, knows all these really weird things about like greek music and irish stuff. He is also gonna do my accompaniment for FREE for my exam on wednesday!

Teachers are great, I think they realy fast-track your learning and they give you a lot of opportunities to perform and have other students whom you can find and jam with!
I had an outstanding teacher for a few years. I am actually hoping to study with him again. You just have to find a legit person. The local music shop guy might not always be the best route.