Is there any particular way I could record a drummer with a thirty dollar Logitech microphone and still sound clean enough to use for a track? I just need to know this before I make plans with him. Is there any way I can do this at all and what things can I do to improve the sound quality?
It will not work. I use about $700 worth of drum mics to record. You gotta mic each drum indivually.
AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.

Quote by RU Experienced?
It's comical because you are clearly an average to below-average bear.
put mic around 6 feet away from center of drums, and about 4 feet high. you may need to try other placements, but it should do okay.
Quote by NY_FootBall49
It will not work. I use about $700 worth of drum mics to record. You gotta mic each drum indivually.

No you don't you can get decent drum recordings with just spot mics on the kick and the snare and a couple of overheads, or just a couple of overheads, one cheap mic wont cut it though, you might get something useful if you use really really heavy gated compression ala Phil Collins, but that would be a major major stretch.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
No you don't you can get decent drum recordings with just spot mics on the kick and the snare and a couple of overheads, or just a couple of overheads, one cheap mic wont cut it though, you might get something useful if you use really really heavy gated compression ala Phil Collins, but that would be a major major stretch.

You're correct. I usually use four mics, one on the kick, one on the snare and two overhead pencil condensors. The overheads pick up the toms & cymbals pretty nicely.

Work for me.................