I think this belongs here....since there's no drum forum

I need to get a better sound from my drums. I bought a set of dampener rings and they help, but there's still too much overtones for my taste. The only one that sounds good is the bass drum (my drummer friend stuffed it with insulation)

How can I further dampen my toms, snare, and (if possible) cymbals? Any ideas?
I hate my sig
Thicker heads perhaps? Two ply heads do a pretty good job of cutting down unwanted overtones. How thick are the drum shells? Thicker shells seem to pack more irritating overtones than thinner ones. Also.... how tight do you have the heads tuned...... the tighter the tension, the more of those high pitch overtones you are going to get. As for the cymbals, ride cymbal overtones can be handled with a bit of duct tape. Place a strip of duct tape on the underside of the cymbal from the edge of the bell to the edge of the rim, i don't know if that's the "proper" way, but a lot of folks do it. Don't go overboard though, or you'll completely kill the sound.
Quote by Second Rate
Thicker heads perhaps? Two ply heads do a pretty good job of cutting down unwanted overtones. How thick are the drum shells? Thicker shells seem to pack more irritating overtones than thinner ones. Also.... how tight do you have the heads tuned...... the tighter the tension, the more of those high pitch overtones you are going to get. As for the cymbals, ride cymbal overtones can be handled with a bit of duct tape. Place a strip of duct tape on the underside of the cymbal from the edge of the bell to the edge of the rim, i don't know if that's the "proper" way, but a lot of folks do it. Don't go overboard though, or you'll completely kill the sound.

Actually, I think thinner shells resonate more and thus would probably have more overtones

Also, in regards to the tape, that seems like a little much
Just a few inches would do, I think

You could also try a little tape on the drum heads too if you want

Another idea would be to detune the bottom head a little from the top head; if you're going for dampening, doing that would make the drum sustain less and drop a little in pitch after you hit it

Thicker heads will give you less overtones and a darker, thicker sound

Lastly, you could try taking off the snare head and fitting a strip of felt underneath it
That also works nicely for the bass drum
Last edited by The Horror! at Nov 25, 2009,
on my schools drum kit, we put a square of ductape around the heads, it helps the tone quite a bit
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Tune the batter head one turn or so higher than the bottom head to help get a slightly thumpier sound with less of a high overtone
Quote by Carl TheDrummer
Tune the batter head one turn or so higher than the bottom head to help get a slightly thumpier sound with less of a high overtone

I'm sorry, what does that mean? Is it the top part of the drum that you hit?
I hate my sig
Quote by The Horror!
The batter head is the head that you hit
The resonant head is the other one

gotcha. I will try that. Or maybe I'll let my drummer try that so I don't have to
I hate my sig