So, I have been playing a lot of Nirvana recently and am fine finding settings for that stuff but I have always had trouble with Metallica.

I have been playing all sorts of Metallica songs. Puppets, Enter Sandman, That was just your life, etc. I always seem to get good stuff for the clean tones but have trouble with the distortion. The mutes never seem quite right and nothing sounds that great. Does anyone have a good all round tone that they could tell me to use.

I am always running through my Boss ME-50 and there is a list of gear below in my sig if you want to know.
My Gear
Guitars:
Encore E6 Blaster Series (My First Guitar, Great to learn on)
Jackson DK2S
Fender Squier Telecaster Custom
Amps:
BB10 10 Watt something or another...
60 Watt Marshall JCM 2000 TSL602
Effects:
Boss ME-50 Multi Effects Pedal
the problem is mostly ur amp, maybe a little technique. an amp without that much low end rumble wont get u very good palm mutes.

if u have decent stereo/pc speakers i think u can hook up ur boss right to ur pc and use some sort emulating software and get some good sounds out of that, especially if ur speakers have a sub.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Cool. Thanks man. I am hoping to get a decent new amp soon so that may help
My Gear
Guitars:
Jackson DK2S
Amps:
Effects:
for the mean time, put ur settings at something like low-10, mid 2, treble-5-6ish, gain...depends, max-ish? and like i said, try getting that thing hooked up to nice speakers for the mean time. the tone from just the boss might beat out ur amp.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Ok. Thank you very much for the help!
My Gear
Guitars:
Jackson DK2S
Amps:
Effects:
A general rule of thumb for Metallica's tone is boosted lows & highs, way scooped mids. I remember Hetfield saying once in an interview that when they recorded "Justice", he almost had the mids turned all the way off.

You don't usually need to max the gain all the way. On my Vypyr, I use the red "Rec" channel, with the gain set at about 2:00. Any more than that, and the tone just gets harsh & fuzzy.
On my vypyr I find the pre gain at full and post gain at 4-5 is fine until you get cranked then the highs and gain have to go down
Thanks guys! I have got a pretty good dounding one now!
My Gear
Guitars:
Jackson DK2S
Amps:
Effects:
I have the boss ME-50, which is really good if you can figure out how to use it. Here's a good all-around distortion setting for Metallica (you might have to play around with the sustain and level knobs on the compressor)

Overdrive/Distortion
Type: MT-2
Drive: About 15 (right up to the beginning of where it says "turbo" on the knob don't go past that)
Bottom: 11-12 (halfway)
Tone: 20 (all the way up)
Level: 20 (all the way up)

Threshold: all the way up (to eliminate bad noise)

That's about it but I'd add some wah to play Kirk's solos and to make it sound good you have to experiment with the Sustain and Level knobs on the Compressor.
Cool man! Thank you very much for the help! I will give that a go later on....
My Gear
Guitars:
Jackson DK2S
Amps:
Effects: