I'm a Christian musician who plays rhythm acoustic for my current band. I'm looking at purchasing an electric guitar to play rhythm on. I want a guitar that I can throw some distortion on and it has power, but at the same time I want to be able to turn off the distortion and play clean and it sound clear. Even clear enough so I can strum first position chords.

Once again, I play Contemporary Christian Music. What would you recommend and why?

Thanks in advance,
KD
Last edited by KelbyD at Nov 25, 2009,
a gibson/ epiphone les paul or a fender/squier stratocaster, personally i would go for the les paul
I've heard the only difference between a gibson les paul and epiphone les paul is the pickups; Is that right?
Quote by KelbyD
I've heard the only difference between a gibson les paul and epiphone les paul is the pickups; Is that right?

No. Epiphones are made of cheaper woods and te build quality isn't as good as a top notch gibson, but don't let that distract you from looking at epiphone. i own 2 epiphones and both play great. they are cheaper for a reason, but not for any reasons you should worry about unless you have the cash to drop on higher end gear. if thats the case then id do it.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by KelbyD

no gibsons are all made in the us most by hand, whilst epiphones are made in china, yes the pickups are different, and the headstocks have slightly different angles
Quote by KelbyD
is the difference in quality of sound very big?

depends on the model. if you get an elitist there is a difference, but not enough for me to care. the cheaper onse have a pretty big difference, but if you upgraded pick ups and all that jazz down the road you could improve the tone for sure. i plan on repalcing all my pick ups with gibson usa versions.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
i saw a les paul with 3 humbuckers, never have the chance to mess with it, what's the pros and cons of having 3 humbuckers?
My Guitar and gear:
09 Ibanez S prestige
09 Ibanez RG prestige
09 Ibanez Egen18
09 Ibanez 7 string UV custom
Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
digitec rp1000
Randall T2 HH all tube head
Vox Ac30 all tube heads
Randall RS412XL cabs
Quote by Lespauljames
epiphones are fine, really...
no point in gibson you pay £1800 for a standard when an epiphone for £4-600 sounds just as good with some new pups, and set up well will be the same.
gibsons are nice, but just not worth it

gibson is all about branding, that's why i hate gibson because they are way overpriced and there's so many other guitars that can be on par with gibson at half the price.
My Guitar and gear:
09 Ibanez S prestige
09 Ibanez RG prestige
09 Ibanez Egen18
09 Ibanez 7 string UV custom
Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
digitec rp1000
Randall T2 HH all tube head
Vox Ac30 all tube heads
Randall RS412XL cabs
Quote by KelbyD
what would you call cheap?

300-500 range. That's not actually "cheap" but in the world of guitars that is to me haha.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by S4V10R_X
i saw a les paul with 3 humbuckers, never have the chance to mess with it, what's the pros and cons of having 3 humbuckers?

Different tones. I'm a fan of the 3 pick up configuration. If you like to experiment with tone and pick up positions then that's a good guitar to get. Can switch them out as well with different pick ups to really expand your tonal experience.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by Lespauljames
epiphones are fine, really...
no point in gibson you pay £1800 for a standard when an epiphone for £4-600 sounds just as good with some new pups, and set up well will be the same.
gibsons are nice, but just not worth it

Play a 500 epi lp then pick up a Gibson lp that's closer to 2grand and you'll see a big difference. Gibson has really nice guitars. If you say they don't you truely shouldn't be saying anything
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT