I noticed a while back that in a lot of music videos, certain bands try and make their solos look harder than they are. For example, in the Smells Like Teen Spirit solo, it comprises of about 4 notes. In the video however, Kurt Cobain is de-tuning a string that isn't even used in the solo, tapping, and playing with his right hand instead of his left... Anyone else noticed this in music videos?
It's a promo video, done for MTV, not an instructional video.
In short, who cares?
If they dont do it in the video, they will never know how it feels to make a decently complex passage
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
They do that a lot.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Knowing Kurt, he was probably doing that to take the piss out of guitar solos.
*parp*
Better than guitarists who make them look ridiculously easy. I know a guitarist from a local band who is incredibly good, but people who don't play don't fully realise it because he makes everything look really easy.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Bleurgh

Definitely this.
Quote by Random3
I noticed a while back that in a lot of music videos, certain bands try and make their solos look harder than they are. For example, in the Smells Like Teen Spirit solo, it comprises of about 4 notes. In the video however, Kurt Cobain is de-tuning a string that isn't even used in the solo, tapping, and playing with his right hand instead of his left... Anyone else noticed this in music videos?

Kurt specificly said he didn't want to have his hands on the right place on the neck during the solo in the video.
Idd probably just to take the piss out of guitar solos
Quote by fretsofthebeast
*grabs rifle*
so let it be written so let it be done..........

Quote by SOADrox429
You shouldn't hit your drummers. You're supposed to be nice to them, or they'll be scared of you.
Quote by Bleurgh

This
Quote by Bleurgh

personal friend of yours?
Member Of Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
Quote by Blackballed
personal friend of yours?
Considering all the biographies, documentaries, and interviews there are about him, not to mention that his private journals have been published, you can get a decent idea of the man without having met him.
Quote by herby190
Considering all the biographies, documentaries, and interviews there are about him, not to mention that his private journals have been published, you can get a decent idea of the man without having met him.

Yeah maybe. I still think it sounds a bit ridiculous though.
Member Of Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
Quote by Random3

It's a relatively well documented fact that Kurt didn't even want to do that video, he's definitely taking the piss.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Fred Durst solos are usually toned down quite a bit in both their music and their videos. You can tell from his work with Slipknot that he actually shreds.

Also idk if exactly exaggerated but in TTFAF video, herman li and whatever the other guitarist's name is take turns drinking apple juice while ripping solos. I guess that makes the solo a little cooler.
Goodness gracious me!
She Builds Quick Machines

To be fair, it's only because of the man on fire in the background...
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Although I love the song and the video, Can't Stop by the Chili Peppers.
GO RED WINGS!!!
what annoys me even more is when in a live concert video or something, during the guitar solo they decide to show the camera on the drummer or singer dancing around.
"Bullshit is the glue that binds this nation together."
-George Carlin

The Human Fund: $0.00
PM me to donate
Quote by Bizarro
Fred Durst solos are usually toned down quite a bit in both their music and their videos. You can tell from his work with Slipknot that he actually shreds.

Also idk if exactly exaggerated but in TTFAF video, herman li and whatever the other guitarist's name is take turns drinking apple juice while ripping solos. I guess that makes the solo a little cooler.

Yes... apple juice... that's exactly what it is...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Minkaro
He barely knew how to play when he WASN'T being filmed.

Goodness gracious me!
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Yes... apple juice... that's exactly what it is...

He was kidding moron...
Quote by nasstyman
i busted a g-string while fingering a minor...
Quote by 18zzz18
REPLY DUDE! YOU COULD BE THE SAVIOUR OF THE EARTH AND ALL OF MANKIND! (:
0h @nd U M@Y H@V3 2 T@LK L1K3 TH1S..... 1TZ TH3 L@NGU@G3 0F TH3 FUTUR3
Quote by RMC06
My old band teacher once called me a penis wrinkle.
Quote by Simsimius
She Builds Quick Machines

To be fair, it's only because of the man on fire in the background...

This, I agree with this.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Those MAB videos don't belong in this thread. If you have even attempted to play the stuff he plays in his videos, you would know that it's way harder than it looks. The over-under thing is just to keep non-guitarists entertained. Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix did stuff like that too.
Quote by Blackballed
Yeah maybe. I still think it sounds a bit ridiculous though.

then you don't know Kurt
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Well since we are on the subject of solo's....

Can anyone tell me why every time a radiostation plays Whole lotta love. The solo gets almost completely muted??
Quote by RPGoof
It doesn't even look like Kurt knows how to play guitar in that video

again, part of the image he was trying to portray in that video.

(sorry for double post)
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Quote by herby190

No, not really.
Quote by ng117
Theres a radio station that plays a whole lotta love?

There was here.... Arrow classic rock, sadly it got shut down because they refused to broadcast ads/commercials.

It only played rock from 60s-90s.

God I miss that channel
Quote by Bizarro

since when did Fred Durst play guitar for Slipknot? I'm not trying to rag on you, I just never heard of that
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Bizarro
...Also idk if exactly exaggerated but in TTFAF video, herman li and whatever the other guitarist's name is take turns drinking apple juice while ripping solos. I guess that makes the solo a little cooler.

Sam Totman.
He was in New Zealand until 19, hence the alcoholism.
*shrugs* I don't know...