I'm wondering if there are any devices that allow you to change the sound of your guitar to different tuning WITHOUT having the change the actual tuning of your guitar. I have a ESP in CGCFAD tuning but want to be able to also play in regular tuning and other tunings as well. I don't have the money to have a different guitar for each tuning and I figured such a device should exist. It's be nice to just get my guitar re-setup in standard tuning and be able to play any alternate tunings with the press of a button.
i dont think so. all i can think of is get a d-tuna which drops your low e without tuning and then get a digitech whammy that allows you to make everything lower. probably sound a bit synthetic
Yup, theres's the d-tuna for floyds.

Other than that, you can't just alter the tuning of just one string without literaly changing the tuning. You can get pedals that change all (arn't that great with chords) and of course midi guitars like the variax can have each string tuned individualy at anytime on the pc. But nothing changes just one string other than tuning and the d-tuna.

To the above, Morpheus pedal changes all the strings, as it alters the pickups output.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
your tuning, is that the standard intervals that are beteween EAGDBE? if the string intervals are the same then you could get a whammy pedal. i play in half step down for my band and when i want to play in standard i just turn on the whammy pedal and set it to increase the pitch by one octave and then just press it down untill you raise the pitch to E. you wont have to go very far. same thing if you want to go lower. set it to one octave down and match your pitch to the desire pitch. i figure out a ton of covers for the band this way. some we play are 1 to 1 1/2 stebs down some are standard tuning. the only problem you will have is if the string intervals for your desired tuning are different than standard intervals.
I know that the Gibson Robot tunes itself, but you said not to buy another guitar, so I'd recommend at least getting yourself a capo.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Esperanza Spalding, Vulfpeck, Caravan Palace

It is I, the mighty shitkicker, as prophesied by JustRooster. Obey me.
Quote by PRS ONLY!
your tuning, is that the standard intervals that are beteween EAGDBE? if the string intervals are the same then you could get a whammy pedal. i play in half step down for my band and when i want to play in standard i just turn on the whammy pedal and set it to increase the pitch by one octave and then just press it down untill you raise the pitch to E. you wont have to go very far. same thing if you want to go lower. set it to one octave down and match your pitch to the desire pitch. i figure out a ton of covers for the band this way. some we play are 1 to 1 1/2 stebs down some are standard tuning. the only problem you will have is if the string intervals for your desired tuning are different than standard intervals.

Sorry, but I LOL'd.

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
if you are good at tuning between standard and drop d (or other relevant tunings) you should be able to do it in about 5 seconds, then just use a capo, no need for digital interference, just a simple clamp and you're good to go.
Strat>Interstellar Overdriver>Little Big Muff>Supersonic Fuzz Gun>Crybaby Classic>Crybaby>VP Jr. (TU-2 tuner out)>Electric Mistress XO>RV-3>E-1005 w/ Footswitch>DD-6 (stereo out)>DL-4 w/ Expression Pedal>Stereo Tremolo>Headrush>Fender Deluxe 85(2x)
There's not really an easy way out of tuning your guitar, sorry.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
pitch shifter....
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
pitch shifter....

Will it take him effectively from CGCFAD to EADGBE? No.

It'll take him from D standard to standard, but it probably won't sound all that great when it gets there anyway.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
the only product i know of that can dramatically change your tuning on the fly is something like a Korg GK3 pickup with a good processor.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Juadafi
Will it take him effectively from CGCFAD to EADGBE? No.

It'll take him from D standard to standard, but it probably won't sound all that great when it gets there anyway.

+1

Going from a standard tuning to a lower standard tuning can be done with the Morpheus drop tune pedal (i.e. it would take you from EADGBE to DGCFAD...but you would still have to manually tune down the lowest string to get to CGCFAD (or use a d-tuna if its a floyd).
In all honesty, the simple answer is no. I've been following the progress of the Morpheus Droptune for a while and it looks good...but not quite good enough.

Simple solution, use one of your old guitars as your 'alternate tuning axe' on stage.
No effect can change the relative tuning on your guitar. That's crazy.

How would the device recognise it? Let's say you play an open A string. And then the 5th fret on the E string. How is the device going to tell the difference? They're both the same pitch. They have different tonal qualities but there's such a lag with trying to understand basic pitches even that there's no way it can analyse that too. Especially when there's some differences that are hard for US to hear.

The only correct answer is a Variax sadly. For simple lower pitches, I find a Whammy before dirt lowers it quite well and also gives you a nice loose sound.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN

The only correct answer is a Variax sadly.

Agreed. That and a MIDI pickup.

Or in theory, you could use a Gibson HD6X LP with some kind of 6-band pitch shifter. If such a thing was actually built.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN

How would the device recognise it? Let's say you play an open A string. And then the 5th fret on the E string. How is the device going to tell the difference? They're both the same pitch. They have different tonal qualities but there's such a lag with trying to understand basic pitches even that there's no way it can analyse that too. Especially when there's some differences that are hard for US to hear.

The only correct answer is a Variax sadly. For simple lower pitches, I find a Whammy before dirt lowers it quite well and also gives you a nice loose sound.

see my previous post.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
see my previous post.

Yeah, he said no effect could, and you said use a pickup.

So no, no EFFECT can changing the tunings of strings relative to each other, as GURREN LAGANN said. But you could use midi pick ups etc.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M