Well I'm looking for a new guitar to round out the tones I can get, and I'm set on a Les Paul, but I can't decide between a Epiphone Les Paul or a Gibson Studio. I feel that the tones are close enough to me and both feel good, but what is better physically? Like, which ones have the better hardware for the money, which will last me longer, what is better in the long run? You know, things I can't find out just by playing the guitar in store.
I don't mind having to replace some parts or buy some things to upgrade if it's justified by the overall price, and I'm leaning towards the Epiphone because I want a guitar that I won't mind getting beat up. I also actually care about the aesthetics, so if say, the studio (since it's a studio) finish gets scratched up much easier or something, that's something I'd want to know.
I'm gonna recommend a used Elitist model or an Edwards LP.

Much better quality and value for the money than a studio or regular Epi LP IMO.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I think they're too out of my budget. I'm looking for something around $400, $600 at the most, and for the Studio, I would be buying used so... yeah.

I was also looking at an ESP Les Paul, the one with the EMG's at the same pricepoint.
If you want a bang for your buck guitar les paul style get agile guitars

http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss8.html

here are better than epiphone quality guitars and as good as gibsons for, yes thats right, $200!

these guitars are great guitars out of the box and they have grover tuners (the same great tuners that gibsons have)

So I guess by now your wondering: How can they make a good guitar for $200?

My answer is that when your buying a Epi or Gibby you are paying the extra money for a name and marketing!

These are great guitars!

PS: I have the AL-2000 and it sounds EXACT to my friends gibby explorer!
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
Last edited by Joe-Floyd-lover at Nov 25, 2009,
Quote by Axis177
I think they're too out of my budget. I'm looking for something around $400, $600 at the most, and for the Studio, I would be buying used so... yeah.

I was also looking at an ESP Les Paul, the one with the EMG's at the same pricepoint.

Yeah,the elitist models are like $750 used at the cheapest,and the Edwards models are about $1000.The LTD EC series are nice regular LP alternatives,and Agile makes some good LP style guitars for their price point as well.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Axis177

The studio and the Epi will be pretty close. Go with wage er one you want more. Both will have cheaper pick ups so you'll want to replace them. Spend the extra 600 and get a nie epi lp. They're nice guitars and a bang for your buck. Either way you can't go wrong so just get the one you like the most
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
The studios have the big fat neck. If you prefer a slimmer neck, go for the Epi.
Quote by Joe-Floyd-lover
If you want a bang for your buck guitar les paul style get agile guitars

http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss8.html

here are better than epiphone quality guitars and as good as gibsons for, yes thats right, $200!

these guitars are great guitars out of the box and they have grover tuners (the same great tuners that gibsons have)

So I guess by now your wondering: How can they make a good guitar for $200?

My answer is that when your buying a Epi or Gibby you are paying the extra money for a name and marketing!

These are great guitars!

PS: I have the AL-2000 and it sounds EXACT to my friends gibby explorer!

Hehe, I actually really love the no namers(?) that barely charge anything for amazing guitars. Personally, I love Xaviere, and my tele with P90's from them is amazing except for a loose jack, so I guess I could check these out. Might want to check them out in hand first though.... Know any stores in the Chicagoland area that would carry one of these?

EDIT: Also, coming from a fellow Pink Floyd fanatic, I'll have to say that recommendation means even more :P
Last edited by Axis177 at Nov 25, 2009,
Hey Man I don't know about chicago cause i live in PA...

Remember not to pick a guitar because it says Gibson Les Paul in nice silver print!

You Pick a guitar because of the specific tone it has and brother, the AL-2000 CSB Flame Wide has TONE!

PS: TY about the Pink Floyd Post!
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
Quote by Axis177
Hehe, I actually really love the no namers(?) that barely charge anything for amazing guitars. Personally, I love Xaviere, and my tele with P90's from them is amazing except for a loose jack, so I guess I could check these out. Might want to check them out in hand first though.... Know any stores in the Chicagoland area that would carry one of these?

EDIT: Also, coming from a fellow Pink Floyd fanatic, I'll have to say that recommendation means even more :P

No stores carry them, anywhere. That's why they are so cheap, they are almost factory direct.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Are they really that level of quality though, or are they just amazing for the price? My $200 Telecaster is amazing for the price, but I'd still rather have an American Tele with more screaming P90 humbuckers. I know technically, I don't have much to lose, but still. Do they really get up to Gibson Les Paul standards, do they give Epiphone a really good run for their money, or what?
Don't expect miracles. That said expect to be surprised. They are nice bang for you buck guitars, specially if you look at the 3000 series.
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
Hm well, ignoring tone, how hardy is the *ahem* hardware? (pun not intended?) That's the main reason I'm asking on the forums. Which one has the better quality overall ignoring quality control issues? (since I can always just look for a good non lemon Epi or Gibson)
Personally I'd get the Gibson just because I like to show off to all the new guitarists I meet who go nuts when they see a Gibson.

But not all people are like that, it's totally up to you.
Honestly, I've been a bit pressured to go for name brands in the past just to shut up the douchebags who give me shit for not having a Gibson or for having a brand that they don't know. ("Dude you don't have a Fender? What the hell si that? You must be retarded!" says the guy who's only knowledge of guitar is from Guitar Hero.... that makes me die a lot inside and then some)
Between an Epi and Gibbo, they'll be roughly equal on hardware (I think. Not really sure since I don't know a whole lot about those guitars) between high end Epi and Gibson Studios. I do know that the studio's finish will wear down faster being a satin finish, but a really beat up looking trans-red studio would actually look pretty sweet.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Well, I wouldn't mind having a few unique scratches (I love, for example, the random scratch on John Frusciante's strat) but I don't want it to scratch too easily because it's going to go through some abuse. Or alot of abuse...
I bought an Epi LP Standard about a month ago in 'heritage cherry sunburst'. I got a great deal on it, just over $300. The thing is so nice sounding. It is smooth, but can be really rough when in the bridge hum. Playability is awesome and that's saying something considering I'm used to a thin unfinished maple neck on my Jackson. With this I can play anything from Clapton to Metallica with ease. The hardware seems pretty nice, it even has Grover tuners...just like big brother and the finish is amazing. Highly recommended.
Yesterday is History; Tomorrow is a Mystery; but Today is a Gift; That is why it is called The Present.
go which for the one that you really want inside your heart
I'd go for the Gibson personally (I play a Gibson SG), but Epiphone does make some nice Les Pauls. Just make sure you steer clear of the Epiphone "special II" line, they are pretty crappy, but some of the other Epiphone LPs are awesome. On the other hand, my friend Graham plays Gibson Les Paul Studio and he loves it, so whatever you can afford.

And don't worry about scratches on your guitar, they just tell you of all the places you've been and all the times you've played it. Look at Stevie Ray Vaughn's (RIP) guitars, they all are beat up.
id suggest an epi lp and just replace the pups. this way you can pick the ones that fit the exact sound your looking for, and IMO most replacement pups (seymour duncan, dimarzio) are better than stock gibsons.
Quote by Axis177
I think they're too out of my budget. I'm looking for something around $400, $600 at the most...

This is your problem right here. You think you have a limited budget. What's stopping you from saving for a few more months or a year? Really? Are you dying? If you're dying, then put it on a credit card.

What some people do is they get something cheap to start out with, then get something a little better a few years down the road. Then get a little bit better amp. They've gone through three or four purchases by the time they get something that's really decent. That's money down the drain.

Figure out what you really want. Then come back, and let's talk about a plan to save up some bread.
Quote by GraceKim
This is your problem right here. You think you have a limited budget. What's stopping you from saving for a few more months or a year? Really? Are you dying? If you're dying, then put it on a credit card.

What some people do is they get something cheap to start out with, then get something a little better a few years down the road. Then get a little bit better amp. They've gone through three or four purchases by the time they get something that's really decent. That's money down the drain.

Figure out what you really want. Then come back, and let's talk about a plan to save up some bread.

i agree with this (except the part about buying a guitar you can't afford on your credit card...thats just a bad idea lol). i went through about 15 guitars in the past couple years just because i keep buying something a small step-up from my current one. if i could go back in time i would have bought my american standard strat 3 years ago instead of going through over a dozen squires, MiMs and epis.
Don't buy epiphone. Get an Agile instead. I paid 399 for my AL-3000 and it is better then most epi except the elitist series.
If you are wanting a Les Paul buy a Gibson. If you buy anything else you will only kick your self for getting anything else and that includes Epiphone. I will make one exception to getting a Gibson and that is The Heritage. They are great guitars made in the old Gibby plant in Kalamazoo. When you decide to buy what I call a life time guitar you need to put aside price. Save up and buy that one guitar that will be with you for the rest of your life. And a low budget 200.00 made in China out of god only knows what is not going to be that guitar.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Pr0gNut
Yeah,the elitist models are like $750 used at the cheapest,and the Edwards models are about $1000.The LTD EC series are nice regular LP alternatives,and Agile makes some good LP style guitars for their price point as well.

Though EC's look similar to les pauls, they sound nothing like them, he said he liked the tonal characteristics of the LP's so I wouldnt go with the EC if I was TS.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

My advice, buy a used les paul studio, find one from... say, the early '90s, those are effing sweet, but regardless, one that has been played in, the finish has settled in, you can find them anywhere from $600-$800 these days, they're not really rare.
Quote by JayLacelle
id suggest an epi lp and just replace the pups. this way you can pick the ones that fit the exact sound your looking for, and IMO most replacement pups (seymour duncan, dimarzio) are better than stock gibsons.
But the kicker is you can replace the pickups in the Gibson too. Why does no one ever bring up that fact? I guess you can argue that you can buy an Epi + new pickups with the same cash, but imo, that is extremely short sighted. You're going to be playing this guitar for a while, something like pickups really aren't that important in the initial purchase because you can replace pickups at any point down the line. You can do it if you're into instant gratification, but in the long run, you wouldn't necessarily be better off. Who says you won't want to replace the pickups in the Epi again if they aren't to taste?

I don't know how much of a tone hound you are, but I have personally gone through 5 different sets of pickups in my guitar. Two of which ran me about $300. Imo, pickups are the hardest thing to buy for guitar, one because you can't just try them with your setup, and hearing them in a different guitar really doesn't tell you how they'll necessarily sound in your guitar, plus they're expensive. And even so, people can recommend you pickups based on your style, but that's not going to mean you're going to necessarily like how they sound. For example, the Seymour Duncan JB is well suited for my style, but I'm not a huge fan of how they sound, even though I like to have bright pickups.
Quote by GraceKim

Grace Kim.... I used to know two people named Grace Kim :P

lol sorry off topic, anyway, well that's why I'm looking into how good the hardware is and how long it will last me. I don't plan to buy a whole lot of other guitars after this purchase, since I'm too young to get a job and really save up a ton of money. Eventually, I want to get a Gibson standard or custom or something really expensive, but at this point, I've got the budget that I'm going to have for a while, and I want to make the best of that money so that I won't end up needing a new guitar for a while. At least not until I can get the money to spend on something really big.

Anyway, I'm probably going to get a Gibson or Heritage now, but any other help you guys could give me would be... well.... helpful. (Bonus points to anyone who knows what movie I paraphrased that last part from)
I'll just add this...

I often regret not saving my money for the R0 that I really want (but to be fair, I bought my les paul studio about 9 years ago), but never once have I wished that I bought an Epiphone instead.