I've been looking into it and I'm about to buy some new strings. I've started to downtune to D, D with a dropped C, and C# standard (BTBAM TUNING!!!!) and I've heard that a wound third string helps to keep intonation and has almost no risks. I usually use 9's on my les paul for E standard tuning, and now I need heavier gauge strings to complement the difference in tension.

So tl;dr,

What are the benefits of a wound third over a regular unwound third?
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Stays in tune with bends better.

More tension keeps it from going out of tune.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Quote by TheBigProjekt
Stays in tune with bends better.

More tension keeps it from going out of tune.

Awesome.

So for C# standard, with 11's with a wound third be ideal? (considering I use 9's in standard tuning)
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
I HATE IT. I absolutely HATE a wound 3rd string. It's so bloody annoying and unbendable. Don't do it.
I've played a few, and it is a totally different feel, but once you get used to it, it's nothing.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.

You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

I'm going to try it, thanks for your opinions!
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Worst case scenario is you don't like it, and you wasted 5 bucks on strings.

No big deal.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.

Quote by Dynomiteguy
I HATE IT. I absolutely HATE a wound 3rd string. It's so bloody annoying and unbendable. Don't do it.

you must have a really weak hand and fingers. I play d addario ej22 strings. Wound third. No problems bending at all. Only difference is the string sounds a bit more bassy. Doesnt effect my llaying and it's a hell of a lot better then unwound. I replaced an unwound with a wound and it was so much better. Larger unwounds feel terrible and you can run into intonation problems
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?