Which one would be the best for metal?

The only difference that i really know is mahogany is heavier, also i have no experience with alder, and thats why im asking for your help
Mahogany is a nice warm wood, used in Les Pauls and SG's and such.
Alder is a bright sounding wood, used in Strats and Tele's etc.

But, when you add in all the gain, scooped mids etc. The difference will be minimal. H
Regardless, i'm a Mahogany lover and think it works great for Metal. Basswood would be my second choice.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Alder is easier to work with, too.

Also, I love mahogany in general, but alder has a really satisfying snap to it.

True, but downtuned with strings that are a bit too thin (therefore being a tiny bit more slack than normal) you can get some REALLY nice bite from Mahogany.
I actually think alder is better for metal. I think the lack of bass from the wood keeps it quite clear when down tuned. Mahogany can get muddy if you have sub-par pickups/amp/pedals.
Quote by Baby Joel
I actually think alder is better for metal. I think the lack of bass from the wood keeps it quite clear when down tuned. Mahogany can get muddy if you have sub-par pickups/amp/pedals.

That was the only thing I was thinking of, really.

I really don't think I could ever choose between the two if I was forced.
both are good for metal -- look at what most metal players are using (almost any of the tonewoods work. The biggest difference is the quality of the wood you get). Mahogany just looks better if going for a transparent finish.
Quote by divinorum69
inb4 report for wood thread,

Mahogany looks nicer IMO

<_<

Thanks for your posts, my ideas are clear now
Quote by willT08
Mahogany is a nice warm wood, used in Les Pauls and SG's and such.
Alder is a bright sounding wood, used in Strats and Tele's etc.

But, when you add in all the gain, scooped mids etc. The difference will be minimal. H
Regardless, i'm a Mahogany lover and think it works great for Metal. Basswood would be my second choice.

I agree that the difference would be minimal. You'd be lucky to find one person who can truly here the alder and say, "Damn that alder guitar sounds nice".

But the difference between the gibson guitars exampled here and the fender guitars is really more of a scale length issue as opposed to type of wood used.