hey ive just started a metal band, and wanted to know how is the best way to start off with??,, the drummer always suggests that we should'nt do covers at all and only do our own songs, seen as we are only 14 i say we should start off by doing covers, as i find it very hard to come up with a song and actualy writing the lyrics. or have you got any tips on writing a song, everything that i come up with sounds really cheasy, i was wandering how did you all start a metal band, my inspiration mostly is pantera to silverchair to killswitch engage, to sytem of a down
just jam at first.....

at first write songs together ... get your other guitarist involved in the song writing process.... bounce ideas off one and other
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
If one of you isn't happy doing covers, and neither of you can write songs, then don't be in a band.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Starting a metal band is always a bad idea. Disband now.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
just play a lot of open notes and bring the br00talz!
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by Keth
This is the kind of advice scene kids take too literally, and voilà, another shitty core band is born

Fixed
Use more vowels.

It helped me.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
for two of those bands that you like, they tune down to Drop C ( C G C F A D ). That might add a little heaviness to your sound. Other than that, good luck?
Quote by duncang
If one of you isn't happy doing covers, and neither of you can write songs, then don't be in a band.

Quite.
make a blackened progressive deathgrind band with subtle latin and jazz fusion influences
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
^while juggling flaming chainsaws
People think that entertainers are very different from regular people, but we're not. You work hard for your money, we work hard for your money -Gene Simmons

Seven String Legion

Quote by ctfod
Ov Bone and the Marrow

Interpret, Adapt, Overcome.
Quote by sound-byte
^while juggling flaming chainsaws

And fellating Magero
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
learn covers anyway, my first band was the same way - "I don't want to play covers" - but once we did, all of us got WAY better at our instruments and thus a better, tighter, band.

Just because you know covers doesn't mean you have to always play them live. But it will expand your set list and give you something to fall back in in case of an encore
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Just jam and have some fun. If something good comes out then remember it and build on it. If you write i riff jam on it at practice and see if anyone else has some ideas to make it progress into a song
I disagree with playing covers, In past band experiences when we would play a cover it would make us fall into holes of useing they bands we covered parts in our songs, My last band which was fairly successful never played covers at all, we would just jam but we were all very skilled at our instruments by then, so being 14 mabe doing some cover wouldnt hurt but Id recommend to do alot of jamming and try expanding on the covers
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger