So guys, birthday was yesterday & I didn't get the ProCo Rat Juggernaut that I was hoping for! So with the some of the money I got I was thinking about buying it, but before I go ahead with it I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a cheaper/better bass distortion?? Thanks!
The ProCo is apparently appalling. The only big name that uses one I know of is Larry Graham, and he went through something like 12 of them before finding one he liked, and nobody has since found one that sounds good.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
The ProCo is apparently appalling. The only big name that uses one I know of is Larry Graham, and he went through something like 12 of them before finding one he liked, and nobody has since found one that sounds good.

In that case, do you think you could recommend one? Or recommend some brand names to look into?

Also, can anyone recommend some delay & whammy pedals?
Well, it depends on what sort of distortion sound you are looking for. And then, even under overdrive, distortion and fuzz, there are hundreds of pedals, each filling in different "flavours" of the sound.

Delay, same thing again, but if you aren't that fussy over the tone, I've heard good things about the boss delays for the price.

As for whammy, there are no reasonably priced bass whammies. The digitech whammy IV is alright, but doesn't handle bass range too well. The old, out of production bass whammy is insanely expensive, mostly due to the "Tool effect".

If you have the money to spend, a better (and cheaper) whammy solution would be the eventide pitchfactor with an expression pedal. Still some serious money however.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Ashdown Hyperdrive is an awesome distortion pedal
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by gm jack
Well, it depends on what sort of distortion sound you are looking for. And then, even under overdrive, distortion and fuzz, there are hundreds of pedals, each filling in different "flavours" of the sound.

Would it help at all if I said I wanted a RATM/Tim Commerford sound?
I'm quite new to pedals, so sorry if I'm not being specific or anything
Fulltone bass driver
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
He's a tricky one. For some of his distortion sounds, he uses a hand built pedal, and has not let anyone know what it is based on. However, you will want to have a look at overdrive, as opposed to fuzz pedals. I can second the recommendation for the Fulltone bass driver, I love mine. You may also want to look as the Sansamp VT bass and the Ashdown already mentioned.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
The Sansamp VT & the Fulltone both look quite good!

I havn't got sound on this computer at the minute, so I'll try to check them both out tomorrow, but which would you prefer out of those two?
I chose the Fulltone, but haven't had a chance to try the VT bass. I have only tried the Sansamp bass DI, as the VT bass was not out at the time.

Both are excellent pedals, and it is simply a matter of preference. Try everything you can, and only if sound clips blow you awayfor a pedal you can't try (like most of mine actually, though not recommended unless you have a very good idea of what you are looking for) don't buy blind.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
I chose the Fulltone, but haven't had a chance to try the VT bass. I have only tried the Sansamp bass DI, as the VT bass was not out at the time.

Both are excellent pedals, and it is simply a matter of preference. Try everything you can, and only if sound clips blow you awayfor a pedal you can't try (like most of mine actually, though not recommended unless you have a very good idea of what you are looking for) don't buy blind.

Yeah, I don't think many music shops around here (closest decent shops are around 50 miles away, about an hour & half on the train ) sell many bass pedals, & if they do, they're usually just cheap ones that aren't great

Plus, most shops don't have any 6 strings (which I play), & I could try them out without the 6 strings but it won't be the same... haha

So, I kinda have to listen to sound clips & hope I hear what I want to hear
Last edited by _-Joey-_ at Nov 25, 2009,
So far I think I'm pushing towards the Fulltone Bass Driver, but not sure if I really want to spend nearly £200 on it (the only site I've found it on is thomann.de)
Can anyone show me any sites where it could be cheaper? & preferabley within the UK?
Before you go buying anything, I'd recommend taking a look at the Wounded Paw pedals, namely the attack goat and the battering ram. Both sexy pedals.
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If you're going for overdrive/distortion then go with the VT bass. It sounds great, its reliable and you'll be really happy with it. If you want fuzz and are willing to spend a bit then go with the Way Huge Swollen Pickle. It's a muff clone but it apparently sounds great with bass. Or if you want to spend a little less then go with the Bass Big muff.

If you want a whammy pedal get the whammy IV. The regular guitar one. I own one and it's probably the best pedal I've ever bought. Aside from the lowest 3 or 4 notes it tracks really well. Plus the harmonising and octaving would sound awful on those notes anyway. From what I can tell they made a "bass whammy" not because it tracked better on the low notes but because it had more harmonies that were useful for bass. They removed the 2 octaves down because thats kinda useless.

Remember signal is signal and this pedal has a midi Input. Its meant to be used with keyboards which go well into the bass range.
Rickenbacker 4003
Carvin 210 Neo
Ampeg V4BH
Quote by bluntfoot
If you're going for overdrive/distortion then go with the VT bass. It sounds great, its reliable and you'll be really happy with it. If you want fuzz and are willing to spend a bit then go with the Way Huge Swollen Pickle. It's a muff clone but it apparently sounds great with bass. Or if you want to spend a little less then go with the Bass Big muff.

The Way Huge pedals do look really sexy! Do you think you could find a video/sound sample of the Swollen Pickle used on a bass? I can't find any

EDIT: I think I'm going to get the Fulltone, but I'm gonna try & get to a music shop & see what they have to offer (probably not much), or see if they can give me a better deal on the Fulltone
Thanks everyone for helping, it's very much appreciated!

LAST-EDIT: I went with something completely different to all these pedals my mate sent me a link to Devi Ever pedals, & the Hyperion (the one I ordered, for about $95) sounded amazing!! Blew me away much more than the others I had seen/heard, so I decided to go with it! Bad thing is I have to get it shipped from America & could be a little while til I get it, but I'm sure I'll be more pleased with it than I would with the other options.

Thanks everyone for the help, & I'm sorry that I didn't go for any of the pedals that you suggested, but I couldn't pass up this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j6Url7QnTg - For anyone that wants to listen to it.

& I'll probably make a NPD thread in GG&A once I get it!
Last edited by _-Joey-_ at Nov 26, 2009,
Good choice with the hyperion. I completely forgot about devi ever for a minute there. She makes really unique sounding fuzzes. Good buy
Rickenbacker 4003
Carvin 210 Neo
Ampeg V4BH
I dunno about the bass ones but my vintage ProCo Rat sounds great..... Dunno what you're talking about
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Because the bass ones are significantly different perhaps?

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by bluntfoot
Good choice with the hyperion. I completely forgot about devi ever for a minute there. She makes really unique sounding fuzzes. Good buy

I can't wait to get it! On that link it sounds positively bitchin'!!
Quote by gm jack
Because the bass ones are significantly different perhaps?

Well, that was more directed towards what I thought was a comment about the quality of the pedals.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Build quality =/= tone. It's just not a pedal anyone other than Larry Graham uses, mostly because it sounds pretty poor.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1