So, I was working a bit recently, and xmas is also coming so i'm planning to buy an electro-acoustic guitar. something like a samick - greg bennet (played on one and fell in love), but i have a roland cube-15x practice amp. so will it sound terrible on it? or should i buy a cheaper guitar and buy an amp also instead? got about 300$. any recommendation?
Last edited by randomguy_37 at Nov 25, 2009,
Don't cubes have an acoustic setting? I know my 60 does. I don't know about the 30s though.
electric amp wont sound good for acoustic guitars

the acoustic setting is to make your electric sound like an acoustic i think
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
Quote by Josher.K
electric amp wont sound good for acoustic guitars

the acoustic setting is to make your electric sound like an acoustic i think

Actually, there's nothing wrong with using an electric amp with an acoustic guitar. It works just fine most of the time. You just don't want the sound to break up - don't use a tube amp.

The acoustic setting is indeed an attempt(and trust me, not a very good one) to sound like an acoustic guitar.

To answer the TS' actual question... It should be okay. The only thing that may throw it off is the fact that the clean channel on the cube is still under the influence of the modeling. It might sound a bit off, but it will probably be okay.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
imo, it sounds like you're putting electric guitar strings onto an acoustic when you run an a/e guitar through an electric amp.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
It will work fine on the occasions where you need to use an amplifier. Focus on getting a good guitar first.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Nov 26, 2009,
Quote by captivate
Actually, there's nothing wrong with using an electric amp with an acoustic guitar. It works just fine most of the time. You just don't want the sound to break up - don't use a tube amp.

The acoustic setting is indeed an attempt(and trust me, not a very good one) to sound like an acoustic guitar.

To answer the TS' actual question... It should be okay. The only thing that may throw it off is the fact that the clean channel on the cube is still under the influence of the modeling. It might sound a bit off, but it will probably be okay.

i disagree with that...as long as you have a tube amp with a decent amount of headroom. i prefer the sound of an acoustic through my fender twin rather than my SS amp.
^ If you have enough headroom and volume for what you want then sure. Go ahead.

However, there's no point in buying a tube amp just to use like what... 25%(amount of headroom depends on the amp, I'm just generalizing) of its potential?

Also, consider how much your SS and tube amps cost. I assume the difference is probably rather large since a 65' Twin Reverb RI is well over $1000USD and very few people have expensive SS amps.
Equipment:

thanks for the replies:
i'm not willing to buy a tube amp due to the lack of money and real need, guess im gonna stick with buying a good guitar first (:
I thought the frequencies of an acoustic guitar are bad and can mess up your speaker? Some guy from a guitar store told me that the speaker will destroy itself after a while trying to hit the frequencies it wasnt made for
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin

Worked for Malmsteen.
^ Frequencies? It's the exact same. If anything, electric guitars are harsher on speakers than acoustic guitars. You deliberately feedback electric guitars. That's a LOT harder on the speakers than anything you'll do on an acoustic.
Equipment:

is singing into an electric amp bad for it?!
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin

Worked for Malmsteen.
It shouldn't be. The speaker is just like any other speaker except tuned to make electric guitars sound better. It should make absolutely no difference at all.
Equipment: