I'm doing a school paper on Tony Iommi, with my thesis being that he influenced and created the genre of metal, thereby being the most important metal guitarist of all time.
I was wondering what YOUR thoughts were on the matter. Do you think he's the most important guitarist for metal? What did he do that helped make him so prominent? How is he different from other guitarists of the period?
Are there other guitarists who had more influence on the creation of the metal genre than he did?
If anyone reads this and has any thoughts, please respond because like I said before, this is an important paper for my english class and my teacher was really excited about my idea of using a forum for an interview/ survey.
Thank you in advance.
Dio!

;_;
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
The riff to Black Sabbath gave me chills when I first heard it. He's arguably the person who took it from hard rock bands like Led Zeppelin and Blue Cheer to metal.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Did you know that Iommi doesn't actually like the term heavy metal? Not sure why, and I'd check this out before I used it if I were you. I just heard it from a friend.
Make sure to include that he and Geezer wrote all of the stuff, not Ozzy. And the factory accident.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
K.K. Downing and Glenn Tipton were also highly influencial metal guitarists, probably also Adrian Smith and Dave Murray.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

GTA V! ... the 120th game of the franchise.
Quote by PcaKes
Did you know that Iommi doesn't actually like the term heavy metal? Not sure why, and I'd check this out before I used it if I were you. I just heard it from a friend.

That's Lemmy, cupcake.

Iommi's fine with it. He finds it funny even, especially the one review that gave heavy metal its name.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
lost two finger tips when he worked at a steel plant, has prosthetic tips thats where that sound comes from, played a strat before that famous sg
ibanez rocks
ya, they like to call themselves hard rock.
www.myspace.com/decognition

Guitar Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Freeway
Korg DTR2000 Tuner
Axon Ax100
Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk||
Boss V-Wah, CE-5, TR-2

Bass Rig:
Ibanez sr700
Ampeg BA600/115
Boss MT-2
Quote by Slaytanic1993
That's Lemmy, cupcake.

Iommi's fine with it. He finds it funny even, especially the one review that gave heavy metal its name.

heehee I got called cupcake

Yeah I think you're right though.
Quote by CTFOD
The riff to Black Sabbath gave me chills when I first heard it. He's arguably the person who took it from hard rock bands like Led Zeppelin and Blue Cheer to metal.

I still get that sometimes. A few days ago I was showing someone that song as an example of "creepy" music, just a joke, but somehow it did manage to freak me out a bit.
That just might be the evilest riff ever written.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?