hello guys,

so i was just checking some old threads and posts here regarding recording acoustics with condenser mic and all. just heard some really nice sound clips by some UG user who used both MXL 990 and MXL 991 for acoustic recordings.

i just wanted to know, which sort of condenser mic would be best? i want something that is good for both vocals and acoustic guitar.

looking for a condenser mic that is the "SM 57" of condenser mics...i hope u understand what i mean

within $200 bucks
The sm57 of condensers is generally a Rode NT1 or NT2. The NT1 will run you about $200, and it's a serious mic. Do you have a good interface with phantom power?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
yeah, i just bought the line 6 POD studio Ux2 for my guitar...that has the phantom power thing...

it has two mic inputs, and i was thinking that if i get the MXL deal, i can record my acoustic with both MICs together..

my main concern is recording acoustic...though occasionaly i want to do vocals too.
The MXL package is definitely usable, no question. If you're just doing amateur stuff with the Line 6 interface, then go for it. Make sure it has a mic pre and phantom power on both inputs, though. A lot of interfaces only have it on one side.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
oh ur right...it has phantom power on only one input ...

but is the rode Nt1 good for acoustic work?
Yeah it is, but it's a realllly high end mic. You might not want to drop that much money on a mic if you don't have a particularly awesome interface or much experience.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
you got a point there mate!

what about the shure sm57? is that good for acoustic recording?? i know its good for vocals
I feel like I'm the only person on here who feels this way, but the 57 is crap for vocals (recording anyway) and not so great for acoustic. Condensers are the way to go, trust me. The 57 is better off on guitar cabs and drums and in live situations.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
i am looking to capture acoustic guitar sounds...and vocals occasionally,....

thing is this:

1) i can either get the shure sm57 for $99

or

2) the MXL 990/991 package for $80

because i am more of an amateur guitarist and want to do some decent home recording with my Line 6 pod studio Ux2 (has two mic inputs but only 1 phantom power input at a time).

so which is the best way to go??
I am 100% behind the MXL pack. That way you can experiment with both mics (both of which will sound better than the 57 imo) and eventually mix them together, whether it's with an upgraded interface or an outboard phantom power/mic pre running into your second channel. Those are pretty cheap, last I checked.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
There might be better stuff than the MXL 990/991 combo these days, but I use it, and absolutely love it. Don't use an SM57 for acoustic.

The stereo combo of the 990/991 will be much better

Here's some stuff I recorded with them: www.youtube.com/mooshoepork1990
Quote by sashki
A lot of pros do that: if they play a wrong note, they'll hit it again to make it look as if it's intentional. It's called "jazz", aparently.
@mooshoeport.

actually the funny thing is that before making this thread, i had searched on the forum and came across your recordings and simply loved ur sound. thats why i got interested in the MXL package in the first place

ur sound is great. but thing is that i only have one phantom power input at a time... i like the idea of recording the way u have done it with both mics together, but i cannot do that. i can, however, record two tracks with each mic and than layer them.

good idea??

also, is it true that the mic lacks in the highs (treble department) and too much mids?? i read some reviews that claimed this.
Last edited by fannie at Nov 26, 2009,
Quote by Sid McCall
I am 100% behind the MXL pack. That way you can experiment with both mics (both of which will sound better than the 57 imo) and eventually mix them together, whether it's with an upgraded interface or an outboard phantom power/mic pre running into your second channel. Those are pretty cheap, last I checked.

i can upgrade to an interface that does have two phantom power, but i just love the Pod Farm that comes with the POD Ux2. what other option do i have?? i dont want to add a phantom mic interface thing...unecessary complexity
@mooshoeport

(sorry for so many posts...but had to make another post for this :p)

anyway, so i just checked ur youtube channel and really love ur sound. its perfect. atleast thats the sort of sound i am looking for. whats ur complete setup? i know ur guitar is the FL2AC and this MXL mic package. but which interface are you using? can Ux2 also achieve this sort of sound when recording separately with each mic (since only 1 phantom power input at a time)??

by the way, u mentioned there are other "better" combos than this one? can you suggest a few?

the reason i am asking so many question is because i live in pakistan and a friend is coming from the usa around chirstmas time, so going to ask him to bring it for me, but i dont have any way to check the mics.

thanks
I got the MXL 990/991 package about 2 weeks ago and so far I really like it. Mind you, I have no real prior experience with a large array of microphones. However, I know good sound when I hear it, and for the price, these are unbeatable there's no question about it. If you're only looking to record acoustics and vocals into demos, good enough for say; your Myspace or YouTube, then I highly recommend these microphones. You can get very good quality with a little patience in mic placement and eq'ing. Obviously, if you were looking for top-notch professional quality you would need much better microphones.

Overall, they are very responsive but suprisingly dynamic, keeping your sound very clean and quiet. One of the best choices out there for a beginner.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
^ actually thats the exact reason i want it for...Myspace and youtube etc...i mean, you cant really expect a $200 line 6 POD ux2 to make studio quality records...but for everyday amateur guitarist....i sort of like it...more so because i really dig the sound that mooshoeport has with his MXL mics. very sweet.

actually, i dont want to spend more than $100 dollars on a mic, because this is a hobby, and not a full time thing. i have a job and office, and a girl...so cant really justify getting an expensive home studio.

just wanted to make sure that my $80 dollars dont go wasted

@mooshoeport...did you record the instrumental covers (Decode and My Heart) of Paramore using these MICs? i think they are very sweet sounding. good job!
Quote by fannie
^ actually thats the exact reason i want it for...Myspace and youtube etc...i mean, you cant really expect a $200 line 6 POD ux2 to make studio quality records...but for everyday amateur guitarist....i sort of like it...more so because i really dig the sound that mooshoeport has with his MXL mics. very sweet.

I beg to differ, you CAN get pro sounding stuff with a toneport.

Listen to this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/425433/05v3.mp3

All recorded with a Toneport, Reaper, free amp sims, drum programs and other vsts. Not mine btw, just an example of what is possible.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-SMPS1X-Phantom-Power-Supply?sku=180162
for $20, this is not a complex addition to your setup. Just run it before the second input where you don't have phantom power and BAM stereo tracks with two good microphones. WAY less complex than overdubbing, trust me.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-SMPS1X-Phantom-Power-Supply?sku=180162
for $20, this is not a complex addition to your setup. Just run it before the second input where you don't have phantom power and BAM stereo tracks with two good microphones. WAY less complex than overdubbing, trust me.

that is a nice idea...but trouble is that i am in pakistan. and here we have 220volt...so i would also need to attach a 110volt (usa power standard) to 220volt converter. so too many wires and stuff...

but i will look into it.

isnt there any device like the ux2 for round about the same price, but has two phantom power mic inputs?

actually, i gave u guys the wrong information. the Ux2 i am using right now is not mine, its a friends which i have borrowed from him. and i love it to bits. thats why was ordering that for myself. and main reason is that i love the POD FARM. other interfaces dont have this quality. or do they?

i cant afford the bigger more expensive POD Ux8.
Quote by Beefmo
I beg to differ, you CAN get pro sounding stuff with a toneport.

Listen to this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/425433/05v3.mp3

All recorded with a Toneport, Reaper, free amp sims, drum programs and other vsts. Not mine btw, just an example of what is possible.

wow dude...this is indeed pretty awesome. guess i was underestimating it based on the price

i am still debating whether to get the MXL two mic package...knowing that the ux2 only has one phantom power..or just ditch the idea of Ux2 and maybe get some other interface...confusion confusion
I just looked up the UX2 and it looks like it has phantom power on both XLR ins, and they're all set for a stereo recording with two condensers. By all means, get the MXL pack and the UX2, you'll be all set!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
if that is the case than it does indeed solve all my problems!!!

cheers mate!

Quote by Sid McCall
I just looked up the UX2 and it looks like it has phantom power on both XLR ins, and they're all set for a stereo recording with two condensers. By all means, get the MXL pack and the UX2, you'll be all set!

You are the champ dude!

ur post made me search for some reviews and i found a nice review done very recently about 2 months back:

http://line6podstudio.blogspot.com/2009/10/line-6-pod-studio-ux2-review.html

The UX2 has two balanced XLR inputs each with optional phantom power, which means you can use 2 very expensive condenser mics at the same, which gets you that wonderful warm and dreamy acoustic sound you are probably after.

so yes, my problem solved...it can indeed record two condenser mic simultaneously

its done than...i am getting the MXL 990/991 pack

thanks everyone who has contributed to this thread.

cheers!
It's always nice to see some closure on one of these threads! You don't get that too often in R&R haha
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
hahaha...

well just sealed the deal and order this on musiciansfriend:

1- Line 6 POD Studio UX2 with POD Farm ($199)
2- MXL 990/MXL 991 Recording Microphone Package ($79.95)
3- Live Wire Deluxe M Series Microphone Cable - 5ft (ordered a pair) - ($14.99 each)

not getting the shockmount or filter thing right now...cause budget does not permit.

anyway, so no turning back now

thanks all!
Well, you NEED mic stands for both. Without those, you're not going to be able to set your stuff up very easily. They're gonna have to have boom arms, too otherwise recording acoustic is gonna be pretty uncomfortable!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by fannie
hello guys,

so i was just checking some old threads and posts here regarding recording acoustics with condenser mic and all. just heard some really nice sound clips by some UG user who used both MXL 990 and MXL 991 for acoustic recordings.

i just wanted to know, which sort of condenser mic would be best? i want something that is good for both vocals and acoustic guitar.

looking for a condenser mic that is the "SM 57" of condenser mics...i hope u understand what i mean

within $200 bucks

Me and my cousin use the 990/991 set for acoustic guitars and love them. I enjoy the 990 for vocals as well.
Just dont use these in a noisy room as they will pick up everything around you being they are condensers.

OH and DON"T bother with the shock mount for the 990, it's not really needed and that mount breaks easily...I found that out the hard way like many others...
Quote by Sid McCall
Well, you NEED mic stands for both. Without those, you're not going to be able to set your stuff up very easily. They're gonna have to have boom arms, too otherwise recording acoustic is gonna be pretty uncomfortable!

actually pretty decent mic stands are available near where i live. so no need to get them online....thats why didnt order those. going to get two mic stands.

@moody.. thanks for the input. I will definitely check the mic as it is....u might be right and wont have to get the shockmount