So,
Iv been told i have some anger issues not anything so bad that i need to see a psych or anything just that small things get me pissed off, and the main problem is that when i get pissed i lose focus on everything im doing.

mainly when i get pissed is when i have a bad day guitarwise i throw shit and tell everyone off and when i get pissed then i REALLY cant play. i know this anger is stupid and childish but it just happens.

so my question is iv been told that short of becoming a buddhist, martial arts help you with self control and focus, so i thought maybe it would be a good idea to get into some classes or something, does anyone know if this will help?

and also which martial art would be best for me, the only one iv really heard of around here is just plain karate, but idk i havent looked enough, but im assuming all of them teach self control and focus.

your views?
your a wreck, an accident, forget the freak your just nature, keep the gun oiled and the temple clean, shit snort and blaspheme, let the heads cool and the engine run, because in the end everything we do is just everything we've done.
-corey taylor
Quote by Jman09
So,
Iv been told i have some anger issues not anything so bad that i need to see a psych or anything just that small things get me pissed off, and the main problem is that when i get pissed i lose focus on everything im doing.

mainly when i get pissed is when i have a bad day guitarwise i throw shit and tell everyone off and when i get pissed then i REALLY cant play. i know this anger is stupid and childish but it just happens.

so my question is iv been told that short of becoming a buddhist, martial arts help you with self control and focus, so i thought maybe it would be a good idea to get into some classes or something, does anyone know if this will help?

and also which martial art would be best for me, the only one iv really heard of around here is just plain karate, but idk i havent looked enough, but im assuming all of them teach self control and focus.

your views?

What's wrong with the idea of becoming a Buddhist? And just do research into what's offered in your local area, you'll probably find that restricts you much more than anything we might have to say.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Maybe try and tackle the root causes of your anger instead of just punching things? In all the years I did martial arts it never taught me any self control. Taught me how to slap people around pretty well, but no anger managment.

Also is it just me that sees something inherently wrong with teaching people with self-confessed anger problems how to better break things? Just do the buddhist thang bro, it'll probably work better.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Last edited by sg255 at Nov 25, 2009,
i dont want it to manage my anger i was just wondering if when i get angry it would help me keep my focus a little better mainly while playing the guitar, and there is nothing wrong with becoming a buddhist, i just dont really want to or know how to
your a wreck, an accident, forget the freak your just nature, keep the gun oiled and the temple clean, shit snort and blaspheme, let the heads cool and the engine run, because in the end everything we do is just everything we've done.
-corey taylor
Do Tae Kwon Do, and join the ranks of the Hwa-Rang.

What is this that stands before me?

Figure in black that points at me...

FUCKETH THINE SELF
If you're just looking to blow off some steam, get a punching bag. That's what I've got and I always punch out my frustration on it. Works great. Take some boxing lessons too.
Ok, my message was unclear i think im not looking for a way to blow off steam or how to manage my anger i dont need that stuff, so just forget the anger issues for a moment and let me rephrase

Will learning a martial art increase my focus, so that when i do get angry, which happens to everyone, will I be able to maintain focus, by mainting focus i dont mean keep myself from throwing things, i can do that already, i mean keep focus as in my anger does not affect my productivity or ability to perform.

Example: A basketball player misses three shots in a row and is mad at himself but still maintains the ability to perform to the best of his abilities in other words the anger doesnt effect his playing.

I hope that is more clear i should have paid more attention when i was writing my original post, and im not being a duchebag, and all your answers are true but just not exactly what im looking for.
-corey taylor
Quote by Jman09
Ok, my message was unclear i think im not looking for a way to blow off steam or how to manage my anger i dont need that stuff, so just forget the anger issues for a moment and let me rephrase

Will learning a martial art increase my focus, so that when i do get angry, which happens to everyone, will I be able to maintain focus, by mainting focus i dont mean keep myself from throwing things, i can do that already, i mean keep focus as in my anger does not affect my productivity or ability to perform.

Example: A basketball player misses three shots in a row and is mad at himself but still maintains the ability to perform to the best of his abilities in other words the anger doesnt effect his playing.

I hope that is more clear i should have paid more attention when i was writing my original post, and im not being a duchebag, and all your answers are true but just not exactly what im looking for.

No. Martial arts teaches physical control. The control of your limbs, your balance, your strength. It will improve reactions. It will improve strength, stamina and fitness. Focus doesn't stem from exercise. Unless you're planning on getting REALLY into it, e.g. shaolin monk style life dedicating shit then it probably will have little effect. As I said , tackle the root causes of problems like this, short term solutions won't produce effective results.

What I mean by that is you need to stop getting angry rather than trying to solve the problems you get because of the anger.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Last edited by sg255 at Nov 25, 2009,
Quote by sg255
No. Martial arts teaches physical control. The control of your limbs, your balance, your strength. It will improve reactions. It will improve strength, stamina and fitness. Focus doesn't stem from exercise. Unless you're planning on getting REALLY into it, e.g. shaolin monk style life dedicating shit then it probably will have little effect. As I said , tackle the root causes of problems like this, short term solutions won't produce effective results.

What I mean by that is you need to stop getting angry rather than trying to solve the problems you get because of the anger.

OHHHHHH ok my bad i totally get it now, so rather than learning to play through anger, learn not to get angry in the first place when having a bad day, ok sorry guy i totally understand what your saying now.

problem solved thanks bro
-corey taylor