Does The Pit remember cassettes?

I remember the first cassette I ever bought. 'Twas Dangerous by Michael Jackson. We had a Sony stereo set and I listened to that album almost everyday. I can clearly remember pelvic-thrusting along to the songs.

It still is one of my favourite albums EVAAAR. ^___^

Eventually, I bought all of Michael Jackson's albums on cassette and listened to them all loads of times. It's probably why I can play all of the songs on the albums in my mind perfectly.

In boarding school, one of my friends introduced me to metal. He had shitloads of cassettes and CDs. But, mostly cassettes. I was leafing through his collection one day, and my eyes happened upon a cassette cover with Megadeth written on the top in big gold letters. I pointed out the spelling error to him for shits and giggles, knowing that he would get pissed off. He told me to shut the fuck up, because Dave Mustaine & Co. fucking awesome. So, I decided to listen to them. Besides, I thought that "Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?" was quite a clever thing to write/say, despite the spelling!fail.

Long story short, Megadeth remains my favourite metal band.

I spent a long time with cassettes. And I had an awesome Sony Walkman to play those cassettes. It had a surprisingly good bass output. I guess that's where my bass addiction comes from.

I moved on to CDs, Octavarium by Dream Theater being the first CD I ever bought. Nowadays, I download music illegally and buy CDs whenever I see an album that I want. Being in India sucks because I can hardly find the stuff that I want. Can't wait till I get away from here. >_<

My faithful cassettes now rest in a cupboard, gathering dust. The day Michael Jackson died, I got out my Thriller cassette and played it on the earth-shattering Sony music system that we have now. But, right after "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" finished playing, the cassette stopped playing and when I took it out, I saw that the alpha-male sound system had torn the tape ribbon.

I was revisiting countless memories of cassette-playing today, so I thought I'd ask The Pit if they remembered their own cassette days. Do you still take out the veterans and play them sometimes? Do some of you new-fangled people even have any cassettes?

That TLDR or whatever thingy after a wall of text: Nostalgic thread is nostalgic?
I'm listening to a Rainbow casette in respect to Ronnie James Dio. When my dad made me listen to this it was the first time I heard him. After this I'm gonna listen to a couple of Heaven And Hell ones I've got lying around.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
my dad has theese suitcases for holding casseste, he 3 full ones, and 1 small one, that hold like 10
GENERIC SIGNATURE
i saw something the other week about how recording songs off the radio onto tape was destroying the music industry. you know who you are. now stop.

i also own shaggy on cassette. it makes me feel better than you.
DIMETHYLTRYPTAMINE
lol
Last edited by --ESTRANGED-- at Nov 25, 2009,
For some reason, I love the lo-fi sound of old cassettes in my cassette player. I think Queen sounds the best on cassette.
I remember playing a couple cassettes when I was really little, but after that, cd's took over.

Is it possible to put cassettes on a computer?
i love my old cassettes. im young enough to have few memories of them, but i still have billy idol's rebel yell, and billy joel's river of dreams lying around. they sound so much more classic than cds.
you know, ive owned 8 different guitars over my lifetime, and right now i have 3. i wanna know what the hell happened...i mean the picks and cables are understandable, they disappear into thin air all the time, but guitars?

Quote by Zaphikh

Heh, I've been reading too much Encyclopedia Dramatica.

Quote by dylan08
my dad has theese suitcases for holding casseste, he 3 full ones, and 1 small one, that hold like 10

Damn, that's a lot.

What kind of stuff does he have? My father mostly had The Beatles and Simon & Garfunkel. My mother had Eagles, Dire Straits and golden oldies.

Quote by StringAssassin
I had to take off my glasses to read that.
Please stop typing in red.

Sorry, brah.

This better?
Quote by Aidonius
I remember playing a couple cassettes when I was really little, but after that, cd's took over.

Is it possible to put cassettes on a computer?

I've seen a cassette drive on a computer before. The brand name escapes me, but there is a particular type of software which lets you rip from cassette to WAV files.

Could be useful, methinks, if you have something really rare. Or if you just like the lo-fi sound.
Quote by sg255
I'm listening to a Rainbow casette in respect to Ronnie James Dio. When my dad made me listen to this it was the first time I heard him. After this I'm gonna listen to a couple of Heaven And Hell ones I've got lying around.

Exact same here (The Shed (Subtle) is on right now ). Except I'm listening to it on vinyl and not cassette.
Ugh, not for years, thank god.

I used to love making mix tapes, that was the highlight. I would spend an entire day planning out which tracks I would put on there and what order I would put the track listing in. Then there was the shuffling of the songs to make sure that there was not a huge gap at the end of the tape. The annoying re-taping when I accidentally cut a song too short, or let it run too long.

Some good times, overall, a major pain in the arse.
I had a 5ive cassette

SLAAAAAAAAM DUNK DA FUNK, GET ON UP, IF YA' GOT DAT FEEEEEEEEEELIN'
Yea the few cassettes I owned as a kid were Michael Jackson one's I believe. Bad and Dangerous. I know some people still love cassettes, but for me CD's were a blessing from the gods. The tape on my cassettes always got wound up and shit...for me they were just a pain in the rectum.
Quote by me_llamo_juan
^You're awesome.

Quote by gtmustang2006
Listen to RageAgnstUrJaw.

"I've wronged you, and steal everything from the truth,
Can we find ourselves, walking through a field with no solitude,
The pain goes on."
I had no idea how old "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" was until a character in it started bragging about how her new car had a cassette player.
XIAOXI
Quote by Abunai X
I had no idea how old "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" was until a character in it started bragging about how her new car had a cassette player.

Lawl.

Sabrina The Teenage Witch is cute. ^___^
I had a big Portable cassette player with a shark on it, it was awesome.
Quote by kaptink
I had a big Portable cassette player with a shark on it, it was awesome.

Got any pikchurs of it?

I love looking at tape decks, for some reason.
I still buy cassetes every now and then! I don't really know why but I love listening to old school black metal tapes on cassetes it gives it a better lo-fi sound. I also love Rush's "Roll the Bones" on cassete with the bass booster on my old boombox....

(boner)
Quote by KileManA7X
I still buy cassetes every now and then! I don't really know why but I love listening to old school black metal tapes on cassetes it gives it a better lo-fi sound. I also love Rush's "Roll the Bones" on cassete with the bass booster on my old boombox....

(boner)

I've started listening to black metal recently, but there's no way I'll find any cassettes [or even CDs, for that matter] over here, so I have to be content with MP3s.
my mum had some beatles and some public image limited.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Cassette mostly just sucked. The first I remember having was Ten by Pearl Jam. I was probably like 6 or 7.
Quote by sg255

Dio's got cancer
Quote by hriday_hazarika
Got any pikchurs of it?

I love looking at tape decks, for some reason.

Nah, can't find any on google either

I did have one of these too though

Much fun was had with that.
Quote by Holy Katana
I used to have No Strings Attached by 'NSYNC on cassette.

Hey, it was a cool album when I was 9.

*judges you*
XIAOXI
Quote by TheReverend724
Dio's got cancer

Yeah I know. As I said, I'm listening to the first thing of his I ever heard. Pretty damn sad.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Quote by Holy Katana
I used to have No Strings Attached by 'NSYNC on cassette.

Hey, it was a cool album when I was 9.

I never liked the flashy boy bands.

Boyzone was the only boy band I ever listened to.
Still listen to them, as a matter of fact.
Feel no shame, brah.
They're Irish, so that automatically makes them awesome.

Quote by thelurker
Psh. Cassettes aren't outdated enough for me. Vinyl is the way to go, man.

Too retro for cassettes, eh?

I've never listened to a vinyl record. I've heard lots of great things about them, but I have to listen to them meself, obvs. One of my uncles had a gramophone when I was little. Dunno if he still has it, though. One day, I remarked to him that gramophones were what DJs used. I asked him if I could have a go on it. Never let me near the ancient thing.

Quote by kaptink
Nah, can't find any on google either

I did have one of these too though

Much fun was had with that.

Hehe, cute.

I never knew Fisher-Price sold those.
Last edited by hriday_hazarika at Nov 25, 2009,
I had Winne The Poo and The Blustery Day on cassette to go along with the picture book I had when I was quite young. My dad had The Eagles Greatest Hits on cassette too and that's all I remember.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
I had Winne The Poo and The Blustery Day on cassette to go along with the picture book I had when I was quite young. My dad had The Eagles Greatest Hits on cassette too and that's all I remember.

You've just reminded me of those Disney picture books they used to have, where the person read the book to you on the tape. And then it would be like, "When you hear this sound *tinkly sound*, please turn the page."

It's all coming back to me now!
XIAOXI
My car has only a cassette player, but my dad still has almost every cassette he's ever bought. I would guess that he has over 300 in a case in the garage, and it's the kind of music I like, so yes I remember cassettes.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
I have like 7 cassettes and a player right next to me, I still listen to them on occasion, and they remain the only physical albums I own

>.>

<.<
Best guide on writing power metal lyrics
Quote by ReaperWaits
keep it fast, keep it epic, and for god sake mention dragons.