Hello all. I've been playing my bass for about four months now (though I owned it for about a year before that), and my bass is majorly overdue for some new strings. Last weekend two of my strings came undone, so I was pretty much forced into replacements, and I decided that I might as well re-string my entire bass.

This is my first time re-stringing a bass, and my one dilemma is that the strings are too long. I'm afraid to cut them, because I'm afraid I might cut them too short, in which case there are no nearby retailers from which I could find a replacement. Shortly after I began playing my bass, one of the strings wouldn't tune and it came off, and when I got a replacement my friend helped me tie the new one. It was too long, just like the new ones, so he used a method of tying strings that I can't seem to find online. He somehow managed to leave the unneeded string hanging from the nut (which I would casually tuck behind one of the tuning pegs, with it working fine), and I don't know how he did it. I currently am unable to contact him, and I would prefer his method so that I could ensure the strings were safely on the bass before cutting them, but I don't know what he did.

Can anyone help?
Last edited by GreatJallopi at Nov 25, 2009,
The easiest way i can think of to explain this, Is take it to your local music shop and get them to show you.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
@fatgoogle: Thanks for the advice, but the nearest music shop in my town knows literally nothing about instruments. Seriously, they honestly didn't know what a saddle was when a friend of mine lost one and needed a replacement.

Besides, I wanna get this done ASAP. If I went to a music store the next chance I'd really get would be Saturday, anyway. I think I'd die of boredum by then.
Trust me theyll know how to restring something even if they come over as stupid, and theyll most likely show you for free.
Its the easiest way or youtube it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
you can cut them just do it a bit at a time. best bet is like the other guy said. take it to a guitar shop and ask them to show you. better to be safe than sorry! once you've done it a couple of times you get used to it.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
All good suggestions, but just take good note of these things:

-I'd prefer to learn how to do it the way my friend did it, so that I can be safe
-I've been to tunemybass.com and they only tell you how to do it when you cut the string ahead of time
-I'd prefer to be the one actually changing the string so I can learn how to do it properly
-I want this to get done ASAP, so I can practice with my band ASAP
I got in touch with my friend, and I understand every step he's telling me except the last one. Here's his process:

1. Position the string correctly through the bridge and over the saddle and keep it straight until you reach the tuning peg.

2. At the peg, wrap the string twice (counterclockwise for E and A, clockwise for D and G) around the spool, then stick the string into the hole through the spool.

3. Pull the string out through the back of the spool and tighten using the tuning peg.

I don't understand step 3. I don't seem to be able to pull the string through the back of the spool, but it's apparently possible because that's what he did the last time...
Just cut the string about 2 or 3 inches past the tuning peg, that'll give you plenty of extra string space.
Unless you have some crazy-weird tuning pegs, you cut the string, stick the end of the string in the hole in the center and turn the tuning peg to tighten it.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
What you're all saying sounds right, especially considering the shape of my tuning pegs.

My friend keeps saying "no" to that idea, but honestly I can't find any online tutorial for however he did it. His way doesn't sound right, but somehow that was how he did it before.

I dunno, I think I'm gonna end up waiting 'til Friday to figure this out, unfortunately.
Quote by GreatJallopi
I got in touch with my friend, and I understand every step he's telling me except the last one. Here's his process:

1. Position the string correctly through the bridge and over the saddle and keep it straight until you reach the tuning peg.

2. At the peg, wrap the string twice (counterclockwise for E and A, clockwise for D and G) around the spool, then stick the string into the hole through the spool.

3. Pull the string out through the back of the spool and tighten using the tuning peg.

I don't understand step 3. I don't seem to be able to pull the string through the back of the spool, but it's apparently possible because that's what he did the last time...

that's how you string a guitar, not a bass
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
that's how you string a guitar, not a bass

I understand that, but my friend did that method with my bass somehow.
Quote by GreatJallopi
I understand that, but my friend did that method with my bass somehow.

The guitarist in my band did it with his bass too

I was like

It never stays in tune
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Quote by gilly_90
The guitarist in my band did it with his bass too

I was like

It never stays in tune

I might just go to my local music store tomorrow, even if they do seem totally stupid. Maybe if I learn from them the way everyone's been telling me to do it here, I'll be more confident.

But yeah, my friend's a guitarist, so I guess that might explain why he found a way to do a bass string the guitar way.

I now have new problem. I went to my local music shop and they were busy, so the guy there was only able to help me do one string. I don't think he did it right, because it's WAY too close to the fretboard. I mean it's touching the fretboard. I don't wanna attach the other strings until I find out what's wrong with this one, and this is pissing me off a little bit.
if you could post a pic of it that'd help. Where is the string touching the fretboard? The immediate things that come to mind are neck bow or bridge action.

EDIT: is the string properly aligned in both its nut slot and bridge saddle?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Nov 27, 2009,
until you have all the strings on, the neck isn't going to be sitting right anyway
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Youtube is your friend. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtCqNfEDSB4

I should have looked before I did this.

BEFORE:

Then I watched the youtube video and did this

AFTER:
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
I got that string to sit in the right spot, but now I'm pissed because a new problem arose:

After getting all four strings attached properly, I decided to begin the tuning process. I began with the E-string (the last one I had put on), and after barely cranking the peg the string popped, uncoiling a lot near the end of it.

I did all of the strings as I should have, so I don't understand why that happened. What really pisses me off is that now I have to go and buy a new E-string because the one I got was faulty.

And I used the method you all told me to do, not my friend's method.
Last edited by GreatJallopi at Nov 27, 2009,
Quote by GreatJallopi
I got that string to sit in the right spot, but now I'm pissed because a new problem arose:

After getting all four strings attached properly, I decided to begin the tuning process. I began with the E-string (the last one I had put on), and after barely cranking the peg the string popped, uncoiling a lot near the end of it.

I did all of the strings as I should have, so I don't understand why that happened. What really pisses me off is that now I have to go and buy a new E-string because the one I got was faulty.

And I used the method you all told me to do, not my friend's method.

Did you watch the video I linked above? You should have only done 1 string at a time and tightened each as you go. Also, if you keep the slack pulled on the back of the string as you coil it around and tighten the tuner, there should be no way for it to uncoil, unless your tuning key is busted that is.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3