I have been playing guitar for a few years and am about to purchase my first bass. I don't want to spend more than about $200, but I want a decent bass that will last me a while. I want to play Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dream Theater, and everything in between. I have narrowed my search down to 2 possibilities:

Dean Edge 1 4-String Bass (Trans Red)

Rogue LX400 Pro 4-String Electric Bass

Please help me decide and provided info about your experiences with either of these basses if possible, or recommend a different bass that suits my needs. Thanks a lot.
Man, neither of those have too great of a rep, as far as I know. I'd say look into Ibanez or Squier. They both have some quality low end basses.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
I've heard that Squire and Ibanez are good, except Squire's only have 20 frets in this price range, and I feel like I wouldn't be able to find a Squire that suits all my needs. The P bass would be better for DT, but the J would be better for RHCP. Also, I've heard that agathis, which is the wood Ibanez uses in their low end basses is like plywood.
Neither of your original two basses is known for their quality. Agathis is by no means plywood. It is a lower-end wood from the South Pacific that a lot of budget instruments employ to keep costs down. It isn't bad, but it isn't great. It is a serviceable wood that doesn't cost anywhere near what mahogany or ash or alder would cost.

As for having only 20 frets, remember that this isn't a guitar we are talking about. Rarely will you find yourself venturing past the 20th fret; even in a Jazz Fusion group. A good Squire is a better choice than either the Dean or the Rogue. You should also look at higher-end basses being sold used.
I'm going to rant a tiny bit here, TS don't take this personally at all. Why do people always want to spend practically no money yet get a good bass that's going to last them a while. You get what you pay for, if you buy an incredibly cheap bass it will not last that long. I think that if people want to get an instrument they should think about spending enough money to get a good one. I see posts like this every day and i can't fathom how people think they will get a quality product for practically nothing.

TS. I think that you should save up more money and but a Squire Vintage Modified Jazz bass to play what you want. I still think it's a cheap bass but it's about as cheap as you should go, if you think you'll actually play bass for a while i suggest that you get at least a Fender MIM.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Neither the Rogue or the Dean are really good, both companies have bad/questionable reps. For $200 you'd be much better off getting an Ibanez GSR200, which is a fantastic starter bass that should last you a good few years, but tbh, you might want to save another $100 dollars or so and go for a Squier VM or a Squier P special (has the P/J pup configuration like the Ibanez)
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Squier jazz bass all the way. The ibanez basses are okay, but the tone of the fender's low end basses are significantly better than the ibanez's low end basses. In my opinion of course.
Quote by Sooopo
You sir, have made my day awesome.

8/7/09

RIP Les Paul, I bet he's forming a kick-ass band up there to play The Great Gig in the Sky. Maybe we'll all have to use a Stairway to Heaven to go see them play. You know I'm funny.
Quote by Drmckool
I'm going to rant a tiny bit here, TS don't take this personally at all. Why do people always want to spend practically no money yet get a good bass that's going to last them a while. You get what you pay for, if you buy an incredibly cheap bass it will not last that long. I think that if people want to get an instrument they should think about spending enough money to get a good one. I see posts like this every day and i can't fathom how people think they will get a quality product for practically nothing.

I realize this, but what you have to realize is that not everyone has that kind of money.
Quote by rhcpfan93
I realize this, but what you have to realize is that not everyone has that kind of money.

Oh i understand this it's just it's really hard to come by a quality product for that cheap. i would say try the second hand market. I'm sure someone is willing to part with an old MIM fender for around that much money.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by FatalGear41
As for having only 20 frets, remember that this isn't a guitar we are talking about. Rarely will you find yourself venturing past the 20th fret; even in a Jazz Fusion group.

...you my friend are on crack...I go up to 20 and beyond quite frequently, I personally love the way the upper register sounds and use it quite often in rock/metal and jazz. Anyway to ts....as a beginner you probably won't go up past the 20th fret that often if at all, so starting out on a Squire wouldn't be that big of a deal though like i said as you advance you may find yourself needing that extra range. So my advice go with the Ibanez, it's second only to the Squire VM series in quality (which are a little out of your price range anyway) and you get 22 frets which is plenty for starting on.