I've been playing guitar for about 2 years, going from not playing for weeks to playing everyday.
I'm a big fan of punk-rock. It's not the most popular music but that's what I've been listening to for 15 years.

I'm not a big fan of crazy guitar skills, but more of cool chords progression. That's probably why I love punk-rock so much.

Bass as always been in the back of my mind. The thing is that I don't know anyone who has a bass that I can borrow from and since money is tight I would have to trade in my gear to buy probably some standard precision bass and a small amp.

Do you guys have any suggestions for me ?

I'm getting a bit bored with guitar but not with music.
One question to set apart guitarists from bassists: Do you want to be the centre of attention playing amazing complex solos etc, or do you want to get really locked into a groove and be the driving force of the band.

(I suppose you can do both with each instrument but thats how I see it.)
Without reading your post, I can safely assume that the answer is yes anyway.

After reading "I'm not a big fan of crazy guitar skills," all I have to say is this is one of the things that separates guitarists from bassists.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
hey im a fellow punk enthusiast, who isn't big on crazy shred skills, who is big on cool chord progressions.

My dad got a bass like 10months ago and I have been playing it more than my guitar for a while now. I say go for bass, you sound a lot like me and im leaning towards bass.

edit:although you DO have a whitestripes avatar so bass might not be your thing. JK
no sir away a papaya war is on
lol i started playing bass because my two friends i mainly hung out with were a drummer and a guitarist XD

I went over to guitar for a bit then came home to bass again, but yea if your not up for the whole crazy guitar shredding and or want to be more unique, totally try out bass the only annoying part about chord progressions is that you're only playing 1 note so it looks less impressive and theyre pretty easy for punk for the most part

one last thing is if you're gonna be a bassist you kinda need thick skin cuz you're not gonna get the most respect :/
Quote by lucas1wj
lol i started playing bass because my two friends i mainly hung out with were a drummer and a guitarist XD

I went over to guitar for a bit then came home to bass again, but yea if your not up for the whole crazy guitar shredding and or want to be more unique, totally try out bass the only annoying part about chord progressions is that you're only playing 1 note so it looks less impressive and theyre pretty easy for punk for the most part

one last thing is if you're gonna be a bassist you kinda need thick skin cuz you're not gonna get the most respect :/

+1 to almost all of this.
Also about the thick skin, this is literal too I can pick up REALLY hot stuff if I just use the fingertips on my left hand. Thick strings are tough
As for chords, play them as arpeggios and even as chords when it is called for. (I play in a 4 piece doom band and still have use for the occasional 5 string chord)
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I've played both, and bass is an awesomely fun instrument. Guitar is fun, and knowing how to play has helped me understand bass. My guitarist is always helping me understand more.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
I otally agree with the don't seel your guitar point. Always have one around. they are handy.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by Spaz91
One question to set apart guitarists from bassists: Do you want to be the centre of attention playing amazing complex solos etc, or do you want to get really locked into a groove and be the driving force of the band.

(I suppose you can do both with each instrument but thats how I see it.)

I wanted to be the center of attention and play the crazy lines and solos, which is why i played bass. Considering when i started six years ago i was into Mudvayne, RHCP and such.

Though i have to say to the TS if you want to play bass do it, bands will always want to play with you becasue bass players are rare and there is a lot you can do with a bass guitar.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by Drmckool
I wanted to be the center of attention and play the crazy lines and solos, which is why i played bass. Considering when i started six years ago i was into Mudvayne, RHCP and such.

Though i have to say to the TS if you want to play bass do it, bands will always want to play with you becasue bass players are rare and there is a lot you can do with a bass guitar.

+1 I'm pretty sure I get my fair share of attention on stage. It's not what you play but how you play it. And good bassits are harder to come by than good guitarists so its easier to make good impressions (I've been referred to as the "local flea" )
no sig for joo