is there a good order to learn theory in like i know dont try to learn about modes straight away but apart from that is there any order really? and do any of you know good ways to practise theory

i know the basics like intervals,constructing major/minor scales and chords, 7 minor scale positions(3 notes per string), the 5 pentatonic positions, i know how to create harmonies, im learning the names of notes over the neck i know them but i have trouble some times, i know basics of chord progressions and chords in each key but it takes me awhile to figure them out (how can i practise this).

also im trying to write songs for a metal band but ive never really wrote music before im not going for shred solos or anything but i just find it soo hard to write things that dont sound like what i just wrote i, im really lacking inspritation i think. i can play alot of songs but there mostly by the same few bands (bfmv atreyu trivium a7x metallica killswitch engage) could that be a problem, do i just need to learn more songs first?
im really stuck and this proberly makes no sense but yeah please help if you can with learning theory and practising it and for writing original songs
id say:

Note Values
Notes on a stave
intervals
The major scale
the Minor scales
Circle of 5ths
Basic triads and harmonizing the major scales.
Harmonizing melodies
harmonizing the natural and harmonic minor scales.
7th chords and cadences
Chord Extentions
Modes + modal progressions
Harmonizing the melodic minor scale.
secondary dominants
Modulation.
Writing for voices
figured bass
Borrowed/chromatic/altered chords
Neopolitan/augmented 6th chords
counterpoint
Orchestration

iv probably missed some stuff out but theres a general idea of what order to learn stuff in
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Nov 25, 2009,
Above is pretty good!
I'd put basic chord substitutions in among the harmonising.

A good way to practise making chords, substitution, and harmonising all at once is to:

Pick a chord progression (Eg. II, V, I or V to the V to the V... or twelvebarblues, or icecream progression)
Write out a melody underneath using mostly chord tones and some passing notes based of scales that would work over that chord in the context.
Change the chords up a bit using different substittions (tritone, common tone, diminished, sub-dominant etc.)
Go through the melody again and see where it may need fixing.

The aim of writing the melody twice is to make you think about double the amount of chord tones or scales. You can do this on public transport on the way to work or school.