Im looking to buy a Peavey Vypyr 30 watt when I sell some old gear. I have a Washburn 7 string with EMGs in it. I have played it through the Vypyr at Sam Ash. I like what I hear but Im still a little concerned that it does not have the crushing metal sound that can get me the perfect Suicide Silence, Despised Icon, Whitechapel, Carnifex, etc. sound. I was looking into the Krank Distortus Maximus which is said to be more of a preamp than an effects pedal. Can anyone clear this up for me? Or can anyone tell me a good Vypyr setting to get this sound?
I use The recto setting on RED

With a boss sd-1 in front of the amp (sometimes)

I set the sd-1 pretty dark as I don't like so much mid boost.

So yeah I would try the rec model or the jsx which has the most effective eq of the high gain models

The other H-G models like the 6505, xxx, dzl etc are brighter to me, I just prefer the ones I mentioned over them.

I haven't used the distortus maximus, were you planning on using it in front of the Vypyr? If so the amp takes a dirt pedal fairly well, although I set my pedal with a real high output and leave the gain down
I mostly played with the 6505 and K-Stein red models when I was in the store. If I got the pedal I would play it in front of the amp because from what I have heard it is good dist/preamp