I'm assuming it means to tap with your pointer and ring finger and the m means mute? That's what I got out of it. If it does mean mute then I'm guessing you just lightly mute it like a palm mute basically, right?

The notes with a T over them are tapped by the right hand. M means middle finger.

1 and 3 are the fingers used on the left hand here.
Yeah, I'm a lefty though.. But anyways thanks I get what you mean.
Last edited by braddey at Nov 25, 2009,
ha i'm actually learning the same song now. They actually use a girls scrunchie over the 1st fret to help mute out the string noise, so you wont have to do much if you can borrow one from a girl you know. I'm sure she wouldn't mind listening to a song about the slaughter of the innocent at the hands of the great khan.
It's, protest the hero-bloodmeat, check them out, they are pretty awesome.
I'm familiar with their music, but not on a song name basis. My friend plays Kezia around me all the time. The instrumentation is nuts, but I can't stand the vocals. I'm a mostly instrumental guy myself - Scale the Summit and Indricothere stuff. But i know where you are coming from
Ah, well regardless even if you don't like Rodie's voice, it still has awesome instrumentals.
Quote by firebird103
ha i'm actually learning the same song now. They actually use a girls scrunchie over the 1st fret to help mute out the string noise, so you wont have to do much if you can borrow one from a girl you know. I'm sure she wouldn't mind listening to a song about the slaughter of the innocent at the hands of the great khan.

I always object to people who do that... Use your hands for muting noise, using a scrunchie/piece of cloth/whatever is cheating.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Aleksi
I always object to people who do that... Use your hands for muting noise, using a scrunchie/piece of cloth/whatever is cheating.

It's only cheating if you can't pull off the lick without it but if you're just doing it to keep everything as quiet as possible in the studio or so you can move about more live I really don't see the problem with it.

For future reference TS: The M actually comes from the PIMA notation for the picking hand: P standing for the thumb; I being index; M, middle; A, ring. There is another letter for the pinky but I can't remember it and I don't think it's used very much.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Nov 26, 2009,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It's only cheating if you can't pull off the lick without it but if you're just doing it to keep everything as quiet as possible in the studio or so you can move about more live I really don't see the problem with it.

But most people who do such things can't pull off the lick without them. If you can play the lick without it then you really shouldn't need it in the studio, playing conditions are ideal in the studio, you can get as comfortable as you like.
Live playing is more understandable in that respect but I'd still consider it cheating, there's no excuse not to learn proper muting techniques and if you have proper muting technique you don't need a scrunchie or whatever to mute excess noise.
Quote by Aleksi
But most people who do such things can't pull off the lick without them. If you can play the lick without it then you really shouldn't need it in the studio, playing conditions are ideal in the studio, you can get as comfortable as you like.
Live playing is more understandable in that respect but I'd still consider it cheating, there's no excuse not to learn proper muting techniques and if you have proper muting technique you don't need a scrunchie or whatever to mute excess noise.

Because If you are in the studio trying to get a solo PERFECT for an album, and you are almost at the end, and when tapping, there is a bit of open string ringing out, you have to do it over until it's perfect. Studio time costs money you know, you can't get as comfortable as you like.
Quote by NecroMaster
Because If you are in the studio trying to get a solo PERFECT for an album, and you are almost at the end, and when tapping, there is a bit of open string ringing out, you have to do it over until it's perfect. Studio time costs money you know, you can't get as comfortable as you like.

If there's an open string ringing out then you're muting incorrectly and need to learn to do it properly. What I mean by as comfortable as you like is that you can sit down and not worry about doing anything fancy like stage moves or something.
Quote by Aleksi
If there's an open string ringing out then you're muting incorrectly and need to learn to do it properly. What I mean by as comfortable as you like is that you can sit down and not worry about doing anything fancy like stage moves or something.

This is Guthrie Govan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yPEewaalik

He sometimes uses a hair band. I can assure you his technique is more or less as perfect as you can get.

What say you?

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I don't think his technique is perfect at all. He anchors for a start and his left hand is poorly positioned. I've heard Guthrie before but I find him intensely boring musically.
The scrunchie in that video seems to be behind the nut where it will do pretty much nothing to alter the sound or help mute.
Quote by Aleksi
I don't think his technique is perfect at all. He anchors for a start and his left hand is poorly positioned. I've heard Guthrie before but I find him intensely boring musically.
The scrunchie in that video seems to be behind the nut where it will do pretty much nothing to alter the sound or help mute.

On the other hand... his left hand isn't poorly positioned when it actually matters, his anchor isn't heavy at all (and he removes it during hyrbid picking licks) and his picking is so relaxed and efficient it doesn't actually matter. I've seen him live several times playing both his original stuff and with the fellowship doing old standards and his technique is flawless.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Just because a player can play well using bad technique doesn't make it good technique. Rationalizing like that caused me to set up massive road blocks in my playing, I was emulating the styles of my favorite guitarists even though I knew their technique to be wrong; I saw no reason to change my technique because they achieved good results through doing it.
Now that I've nit-picked my technique and aimed to achieve perfect technique I can both hear and feel the difference, it's a lot easier to get good with the correct technique than it is to get good with bad technique and that's a fact.
Quote by Aleksi
Just because a player can play well using bad technique doesn't make it good technique. Rationalizing like that caused me to set up massive road blocks in my playing, I was emulating the styles of my favorite guitarists even though I knew their technique to be wrong; I saw no reason to change my technique because they achieved good results through doing it.
Now that I've nit-picked my technique and aimed to achieve perfect technique I can both hear and feel the difference, it's a lot easier to get good with the correct technique than it is to get good with bad technique and that's a fact.

I'm well aware that excusing poor technique because a famous person does it is stupid and I'm not about to follow Guthrie's example but the fact of the matter remains that he doesn't loose his way playing by removing his 'anchor', his movement isn't impaired by it and his picking isn't in any way tense so it's really not a problem. In fact by some definitions it's not really an anchor so much.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Yeah, I would rather just mute it with my hand rather than using a scrunchy. Just because good technique is important to me.
wow everyone flipped out over my scrunchie comment... I was just saying thats what the band uses. not trying to revive a thread hear, but i discovered that using your tapping hand/picking hand can be just as effective for muting, it just takes a bit of practice. Try using your palm to mute the strings out as if you would while sweeping. hope this makes sense TS.