Sorry if you guys do this already but i was so dumbfounded by how fast i improved I had to share! I dont know if you guys had/have the problem of playing to a metronome wrong,I never learned how to correctly play to a metronome so I always thought you were suppose to play a note for each click,until last night i made all the way to 200bpm and was like this dosent even feel like 200bpm. So i decided to look up notes and there durations and stuff like that. I relized I was playing either half notes or whole note(i'm not sure which one) so i learned about 8th and 16th notes then i started playing to the metronome with 16th notes i think,and my speed as improved about 45%!! I started out at 90bpm and in an hour made it all the way up to about 140bpm and it felt like 140bpm should acually feel like!!! I want to keep tis up and maybe i'll make it all the way up to about 280bpm!!!!!!! Oh and I used the major scale to do this. Yeah I just thought I should share that maybe it will help someone out there,and again sorry if this is something you already do.
If you play 1 note for every beat (click) of the metronome you are playing in that speed. Example: Metronome set to 140Bpm and you play 1 note per click, therefore you are playing at 140Bpm
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Quote by kingofdudes161
If you play 1 note for every beat (click) of the metronome you are playing in that speed. Example: Metronome set to 140Bpm and you play 1 note per click, therefore you are playing at 140Bpm

If you play 2 notes per click you can still be playing at 140 BPM.
can you elaborate more on this please?
I like metal

Gear (still working on it ) :

Epiphone SG G-310
Marshall MG10cd
Boss MT-2 Metal zone

Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
^listen to him

Metalli-freak
Quote by Yaris
If you play 2 notes per click you can still be playing at 140 BPM.

True, but I think he meant at 1 note per beat you'd be playing 140 notes a minute or 2.3 notes per second.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Man, you guys are being very vague with this guy lol

You were playing at 200 bpm, you were just playing quarter notes. I like to think of time signatures as measuring tape, I know it's a silly analogy but the reason why is because measures contain a certain amount of beats (usually 4/4, 4 beats per measure, 4 measures per bar an time signatures can be different to such as 3/4 ad 5/8, but keep it simple with 4/4).

So very measure you have four beats, if you hit a note once every four beats then you are playing a whole note (because your playing one note for a WHOLE measure). If you played one note every 2 beats it would be called a half note (half a measure, just like a half a inch on a ruler or measuring tape). So one note per click or beat, like what you were doing, would be quarter notes. I'd suggest bumping it up to 8ths(2 notes per beats) and then 16ths (4 notes per beat).

Hope you understand all of that.
TS, just ask yourself one question - is there really any point in learning how to play the major scale quickly? Is it actually going to help you play the guitar, or are you just doing it for the sake of chasing a number?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Being extremely fast is nice but isn't incredibly useful. Instead practice getting your ideas out, and playing what you hear in your head. 9 times out of 10, most every lick or riff that is really catchy is not shredding.