Hi, just a quick question. Recently got a Vypyr, first amp upgrade in eight years and love it
However I've been reading alot lately that active EMGS (60 and 81 with the MBM2) don't produce a great output through solid-state amps.

Question is, is the Vypyr classed as a solid state or modeling amp? I always thought it was a modeling amp simply due to presets/stompboxes etc etc, however there are many sites which say solid state, many modeling.

Any definite answer on this one?
Thanks
Modelling is solid state. "Solid state" is generally (in guitar circles) a blanket term for any amplifier that isn't all tube. The Vypyr does not have any tubes, therefore it is solid state.

However, the myth that EMG's don't work with solid state amps is just a myth. It will not damage your amplifier. Might not sound great, but that's down to the individual guitar and amp, not a general rule.
Quote by sashki
Modelling is solid state. "Solid state" is generally (in guitar circles) a blanket term for any amplifier that isn't all tube. The Vypyr does not have any tubes, therefore it is solid state.

However, the myth that EMG's don't work with solid state amps is just a myth. It will not damage your amplifier. Might not sound great, but that's down to the individual guitar and amp, not a general rule.

Thanks alot for clearing that up, I'll still most likely buy the MBM2 soon, I've been using a Squier Strat the past 8 years with 5-15w amps, all under the £50 range so it can't sound any worse haha. Will be nice just to get the 24 frets.
my emgs sound better through it than my passives do(well for metal) . Its a stupid myth

if u have a shit amp, its going to always be a shit amp.
YEAH! ಠ_ಠ