I'm scared! Very, very scared.

My amp (Orange AD30 Head) isn't working. I was playing it, when I decided to go get my vibrato bar from downstairs. So I flipped it onto standby and went downstairs, with the power still on. So I got the bar and went back upstairs. I screwed in the bar, plugged my guitar cable back in the guitar, and flipped the standby switch back to play. Then, it happened; the amp lost power somehow, and the led on the front slowly faded away.

I tried everything to see what may have gone wrong. I use a power strip, so I figured maybe (hopefully) it had broken, not the amp. Problem was, my pedals still had power (they were also plugged into the power strip. So I tried changing which plug-in the amp was plugged into. Nothing. I changed power strips. Nothing. I changed outlets. Once again, nothing. So then I changed amp cords, to see if the cord had gone out. AGAIN, Nothing!

Does ANYONE have any idea what might be wrong? Pleeease! Someone help!!!

Check the fuse and get back to us.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
On the back of the head, between the Footswitch jack and the mains plug are two fuses, the Mains Fuse which is a set fuse you can't remove, and an HT fuse. make sure that the Mains fuse is set to the left (with you facing the back of the head). If that does not solve the issue, remove the HT fuse and check to ensure it hasn't blown. It may need to be replaced, if that is the case it is a 500mA fuse, which should be available at a hardware or auto parts store.
I suppose you checked your leads and other guitars as well?
also make sure the volume is turned up on your guitar...

basically, what have you checked so far?
The guitar input? that's what's dodgy on my amp.

Fuse is most likely.
Quote by Nameless742
I suppose you checked your leads and other guitars as well?
also make sure the volume is turned up on your guitar...

basically, what have you checked so far?
The guitar input? that's what's dodgy on my amp.

Ok, the led turned off, so the problem can't anything outside of the amp

So yeah, it's the fuse I see not other solutions
And if the fuse is blown it means something is wrong with the amp. The most likely and minor cause is a blown power tube, but you could've gotten REALLY unlucky, who knows.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
I can't tell if the fuse is blown, it's white, not clear... In fact, it doesn't even seem like glass.

Last edited by SaintsofNowhere at Nov 25, 2009,
errm... I don't want to sound like I'm taking a shit on you... but did you check if the plug is properly plugged in...

It has happened to me before and I felt like a nitwit for freaking out over nothing.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Yes, it was plugged in all the way, but I just noticed that where the cord plugs into the back of the amp is a bit loose. Could this be anything? Or is it still most likely the fuse?

Shake the fuse next to your ear and see if it rattles? I'm not sure if that works, it's just a thought. Try wiggling the power cord where it attaches to the head and see if that brings the power back. When I had a VK, it did that a lot and I had to open it up and solder the loose connection.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
Yes, it was plugged in all the way, but I just noticed that where the cord plugs into the back of the amp is a bit loose. Could this be anything? Or is it still most likely the fuse?

Pics would help... though I'd doubt that'll be the case.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Sid McCall
Shake the fuse next to your ear and see if it rattles? I'm not sure if that works, it's just a thought. Try wiggling the power cord where it attaches to the head and see if that brings the power back. When I had a VK, it did that a lot and I had to open it up and solder the loose connection.

Yeah I already had tried wiggling where it attached after I noticed it was loose, but it didn't do anything.

EDIT: I don't think I need to get pics of where the power cord goes in, it looks normal, it's just a little loose, so I can wiggle where it plugs in a little bit.

Quote by SaintsofNowhere
I can't tell if the fuse is blown, it's white, not clear... In fact, it doesn't even seem like glass.

That usually indicates a blown fuse
nah,your amp die,sell it to me

jk

replace the fuse,see if that help
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
Should I post a pic of the fuse?

If it isnt clear it's blown.

just replace it and see what happens.

really?

just go to radioshack or frys and get a replacement fuse
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
sometime fuse just pop
Quote by angusfan16
Uh, anywhere. Wal Mart, Radio Shack, the hardware store.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
ive never seen a fuse like that before, but they're cheap as chips, just get the right one, replace it, and it should be fine. this happens a lot with amps.
Yeah your fuse has blown. This does not always point to a fault with an amp. There may simply have been a power surge. Just change your fuse and all should be good. If it blows again however, there probably is a fault with the amp.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
yea, just so you know, not ALL fuses are clear. some are actually white, but i would think they'd use clear fuses for most amps. shaking it usually helps determine if it's blown as you'll prolly hear it like a blown lightbulb. when i went searching for fuses for my Randall RM50, NO store in town (all the ones mentioned before mind you) had the precise fuses i needed, and you should get the exact ones that are used in your amp! i had to order some off of eBay.

and when i did, they still kept blowing, even after changing power tubes. i found out myself by taking apart my amp (kinda dangerous...and warranty will be voided if they can tell), that something had blown on the board, i mean it was OBVIOUS something had blown, with all the soot like stuff left over the PCB section and wires in there...so i shipped that bad boy to get it fixed under warranty after some months and got it back happy as ever.

moral of the story: if new tubes and fuses don't fix it, WARRANTY FIX time. if they're like Randall, you'll pay shipping TO the factory, and they'll pay to ship it back as well as fix it. just don't do like me...i procrastinated getting it fixed and went 9 months without my beast of an amp...made me appreciate it so much more when i got it back though.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
That doesn't mean it's blown, it just means it's a ceramic fuse and not a glass fuse.
Although it is still more than likely blown either way.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
slash_rocks, you just severely scared me.

I am hoping so much that all it is is the fuse, not something else wrong with the amp causing it to blow.

Could take it to a tech and ask.. of course it'll cost, but when it comes to your baby you can't be too careful right
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1