Page 1 of 5
Out of curiosity, to those of you not from the U.S., what does the U.S. accent sound like to you? Also, how much of a difference do you notice? For example, could you tell the difference between a New York or big city accent, and a southern accent very easily, or does it sound the same to you?

Another question: What does it sound like to you when you hear people from the U.S. speaking your language, if English isn't your primary language?
I don't really know. I guess I am just to used to it.

though we do tend to shorten a lot of words.

quick edit:
I can speak with a pirate accent mind you
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
from my own personal opinion the further south you get the more annoying the accent is. I find the Canadian/Northern US accent hot but not so much a southern accent. But that's jsut me
Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Speakers
I can tell between different accents easy but doubt i could tell you where they are from unless they are the obvious ones.
I don't think I have an accent (or at least not a very prenounced one). Though I'd imagine it would sound like nails on a chalkboard for any brits to hear an American butcher the language.
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
Quote by herby190
Out of curiosity, to those of you not from the U.S., what does the U.S. accent sound like to you? Also, how much of a difference do you notice? For example, could you tell the difference between a New York or big city accent, and a southern accent very easily, or does it sound the same to you?

Another question: What does it sound like to you when you hear people from the U.S. speaking your language, if English isn't your primary language?

Sounds like, American accent I guess, sometimes more understandable than British accent, sometimes not.
Americans speaking Spanish? Sounds awful to me.
Quote by Rockingbird
I don't think I have an accent (or at least not a very prenounced one). Though I'd imagine it would sound like nails on a chalkboard for any brits to hear an American butcher the language.

are yo' from noi joy-ze
Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Speakers
I find it kind of inarticulate and ditzy, the ones with exaggerated or thick American accents anyway. As for the different dialects, not too sure. Could probably recognise a southern accent as different from the rest of the country.

Why do you ask TS?
Quote by damian_91
Sounds like, American accent I guess, sometimes more understandable than British accent, sometimes not.
Americans speaking Spanish? Sounds awful to me.

By that do you mean the americans that actually try to roll r's and learn the accent as well? or do you mean the americans that think the spanish word for food is foodo.
Quote by speakers
are yo' from noi joy-ze

Yeah, but whenever I go out of state, no-one can tell where I'm from based on my accent. I've gotten away with telling people I'm from Wisconsin, Rhode Island, and even Wales (that girl was an idiot, though).
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
Quote by Le_Bunny
I find it kind of inarticulate and ditzy, the ones with exaggerated or thick American accents anyway. As for the different dialects, not too sure. Could probably recognise a southern accent as different from the rest of the country.

Why do you ask TS?
Well, I've always heard the U.K./British accent to sound really cool, but I could, of course, never place exactly where it was from, or often even what country. So that got me thinking, is the U.S. accent the opposite? Like, do we sound watered down or slow or something?
incredibly grating, nails on a chalkboard like. Rarely telegraphs any intelligence.
Quote by Who66
incredibly grating, nails on a chalkboard like. Rarely telegraphs any intelligence.
A lot of people in other parts of the U.S. seem to think that people from Wisconsin sound Canadian.... it's always confused me.
Quote by samick007
By that do you mean the americans that actually try to roll r's and learn the accent as well? or do you mean the americans that think the spanish word for food is foodo.

Both, actually.
Finally, this thread has been created!

I've wondered this for a long time, what an English accent sounds like to people of different linguistic groups. I always imagined it would something like German.
Quote by herby190
A lot of people in other parts of the U.S. seem to think that people from Wisconsin sound Canadian.... it's always confused me.

It's not like they're very far apart, don'cha know!
Quote by btones
It's not like they're very far apart, don'cha know!
Wait.... does that mean I sound Canadian? I'm gonna have to get a recording up for judgement....
Quote by Rockingbird
Yeah, but whenever I go out of state, no-one can tell where I'm from based on my accent. I've gotten away with telling people I'm from Wisconsin, Rhode Island, and even Wales (that girl was an idiot, though).

You're not from Wisconsin until you use the word bubbler rather than drinking fountain. Bubbler is just so much easier. GO CHEESEHEADS!
Peace is Possible.

One Thought,
One Action,
One Person at a Time.
Quote by rage24684
You're not from Wisconsin until you use the word bubbler rather than drinking fountain. Bubbler is just so much easier. GO CHEESEHEADS!
I'm from Wisconsin, and I have NEVER heard anybody say bubbler in place of drinking fountain.
Quote by Rockingbird

nice, does any one in New Jersey even speak like they do on movies? I'm gonna go put another shrimp on the barbie.
Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Speakers
I'm from Canada, so i can tell the difference between some of the bigger city accents.
I'm in LOVE with Chicago accents
And Aussie accents
I think it kind of sounds a little like a mix of an English accent and Irish accent, not too sure, and yes it is pretty easy to tell the difference between a New York accent and Southern accent, although its quite hard to tell two accents from a Southern or Northern part of America, whereas in the UK, its easy to tell two different dialects apart, i mean they seem to differ in subtle ways every 20 miles or so.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Which state is the accent that says "Dontcha' know" alot?
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Quote by speakers
nice, does any one in New Jersey even speak like they do on movies? I'm gonna go put another shrimp on the barbie.

YES. My cousins are from NJ, and I've been there. It sounds weird coming from a more southern state. Also, New Yorkers a lot of times have heavy accents. Just watch Cash Cab .
Quote by Wulphy
Being a Republican should be a handicap.
I imagine that they could pick out the southern drawl from the hollywood accent, but maybe not the more subtle ones just from state to state.

EDIT:
Quote by yellowfrizbee

North Montana
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Last edited by namesroverrated at Nov 25, 2009,
Quote by yellowfrizbee
That's Canada, from what I know.
I can tell most from each other, at least barring Hawai'i and Alaska. I've travelled through the US a lot so I consider myself pretty good at it, at least compared to other people I know.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by herby190
I'm from Wisconsin, and I have NEVER heard anybody say bubbler in place of drinking fountain.

SHENANIGANS! Where in Wisconsin are you. Milwaukee area everyone says bubbler.
Peace is Possible.

One Thought,
One Action,
One Person at a Time.
Quote by herby190
That's Canada, from what I know.

No no no..there is an American state that sounds like that too. They are very north and close to Canada. I wanna say Minnesota.
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
I find it odd that the 'southern' accent doesn't actually start until you pass Atlanta (in Alabama it's a bit further south).
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Quote by rage24684

Rhode Islanders say the exact same thing, I honestly didn't know it was called anything else until like, 6th grade.

I was born in New Orleans and I live in Houston, so you would assume that I butcher any and every language I attempt to speak. However, I spent the last 8 years living overseas (Scotland and Norway), so I never developed a southern accent. In fact, everyone in Houston mistakes me for a Northerner or a Norwegian.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
No no no..there is an American state that sounds like that too. They are very north and close to Canada. I wanna say Minnesota.
I dunno; it might be Minnesota, the only time I've been there have been in big cities, which have an accent of their own.
Quote by rage24684
SHENANIGANS! Where in Wisconsin are you. Milwaukee area everyone says bubbler.
I've lived in Eau Claire most of my life, then moved to Durand. Eau Claire is a larger town, but neither of them really qualify as a city. They're both in the west, pretty close to the Minnesota border.
I can easily tell Southerners from Northerners.

I regret to say my opinion of a person changes when I hear they have an American accent. Americans are widely considered in Australia to be loud and rude, so I kind of enter into conversations with them expecting them to be obnoxious.

9/10, I'm wrong.
XIAOXI
Quote by yellowfrizbee

I'm pretty sure that is Wisconsin. I've been there and they all say it.

For me, its really easy to tell the difference. But whenever I go somewhere, people can't tell where I'm from; probably because I put a Southern California emphasis on words, but I don't say like, gnar, shred, man, dude, etc. a lot.
Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a shit?

Quote by Abunai X
I can easily tell Southerners from Northerners.

I regret to say my opinion of a person changes when I hear they have an American accent. Americans are widely considered in Australia to be loud and rude, so I kind of enter into conversations with them expecting them to be obnoxious.

9/10, I'm wrong.
I'd say you'd actually be right a lot more than 10% of the time, or least in my experience. I probably find the majority of the people I meet to be obnoxious. Then again, maybe that's because I'm in high school....
Quote by kingbabyduck
I'm pretty sure that is Wisconsin. I've been there and they all say it.

For me, its really easy to tell the difference. But whenever I go somewhere, people can't tell where I'm from; probably because I put a Southern California emphasis on words, but I don't say like, gnar, shred, man, dude, etc. a lot.
I'm from Wisconsin, and nobody I've ever met says it. Maybe that changes once you get a bit more towards the north end, I'm more in the west-central part.
Page 1 of 5