hey,

i took a break from guitar and now im having trouble with me bends. when i bend the strings and when I release the string I hit the string above either with my fingers or finger-nails, and it’s stressful. does anybody have idea what i should do about this? thanks.
Quote by Throw-Down
hey,

i took a break from guitar and now im having trouble with me bends. when i bend the strings and when I release the string I hit the string above either with my fingers or finger-nails, and it’s stressful. does anybody have idea what i should do about this? thanks.

well there's two choices.
When you bend, you can have the string above go under your finger.
Or you can bend the string, and put your nail under the string above so it slides over the top.
Then it's down to practice.
Also try and use more than one finger, it gives you more strength and control on the one string.
just keep practicing, there's no substitute for refining your technique than sitting down every day for an hour or so just trying to regain some finesse to your playing. I find when i take long breaks from playing i feel a bit sloppy, which is probably why i try to pick it up everyday, just to keep my hands familiar with the muscle memory that is essential to being a good guitar player.
if you do vibrato from your wrist and try not to wiggle your fretting fingers to do the vibrato it'll help a bit, cuz then you won't be accidentally plucking them with the sides of your fingers - you'll just be pushing the strings aside and hopefully guiding them back without ever letting them ring.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Nov 25, 2009,
I use more than one finger, it gives you more strength. And it's not going to mess anything up because you're putting the extra fingers behind the note finger.
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
I sort of push all the strings I hit into the upper portion of my fingertip, can't really explain it. With practice they don't ring out and it's very efficient.
98% of people have read that stupid 98% teens and alcohol sig, put this in your sig if you like getting hammered.

Thats it.
Yep, I've got this problem as well and it drives me demented. It is worst with the little finger which constantly slides under the string above and catches it on release. When playing fast bends it is really difficult to avoid this.
Your index finger is your friend! Extend it out so that it "covers" the lower strings, while using your other fingers to do the bend. That should take care of most of the muting issues.
Try to catch the string with your ring finger. it's what I do. I bend with 3 fingers
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
Thanks for the tips. I find using other fingers to support the bending finger slows down the playing of subsequent notes?
oh boy
it seems I had this problem about a month ago, it was real pain in ass

Your index finger is your friend! Extend it out so that it "covers" the lower strings, while using your other fingers to do the bend. That should take care of most of the muting issues.

this thing helped me a lot back then. just get used to it.

use 3 fingers for bending if possible. 4 seems tough. 2 pretty ok.
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
the simplest thing to do would be to mute the string above with your picking thumb.

problem solved. you dont need to change any of your fretting technique.

EDIT: be careful you dont mute the string you want to ring or cause any accidental harmonics, but I guess that can be said with any muting technique.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Last edited by Shadow_Hawk at Nov 27, 2009,