If I were to have a Noise Suppressor in a loop with a Compressor, would the 2 effects cancel eachother out and become pointless? Or would the Noise Suppressor get rid of the buzz and hum while the Compressor still add to the sustain? and what order in the loop would i run these in?
A compressor isn't designed to add sustain and a noise gate isn't designed to go into the loop.

Noise gate goes before the amp input and the compressor is just designed to give you a bit more of an equal sound in terms of volume.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
A compressor isn't designed to add sustain and a noise gate isn't designed to go into the loop.

Noise gate goes before the amp input and the compressor is just designed to give you a bit more of an equal sound in terms of volume.

Compressors do add sustain, and noise gates can go in the loop if you're trying to eliminate noise from the preamp.
Quote by jam979
Compressors do add sustain, and noise gates can go in the loop if you're trying to eliminate noise from the preamp.

+ 1

Compressors try to keep all notes at a relatively equal volume, so when you play you hear the note last longer due to it being given a volume boost.

And no, a noise gate and a compressor won't cancel each other out if they are set properly. The noise gate will get rid of all the unwanted noise from your signal while the compressor will compress your sound.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Quote by Xeron Brigs
+ 1

Compressors try to keep all notes at a relatively equal volume, so when you play you hear the note last longer due to it being given a volume boost.

And no, a noise gate and a compressor won't cancel each other out if they are set properly. The noise gate will get rid of all the unwanted noise from your signal while the compressor will compress your sound.

And how exactly would I set them out properly?
Turn the knob on the noise gate until you don't hear any unwanted noise, then set the compressor to taste.

Unless you are doing something like turning the noise gate all the way up and setting the compressor to minimum, you shouldn't have a problem.
Quote by Xeron Brigs
Turn the knob on the noise gate until you don't hear any unwanted noise, then set the compressor to taste.

Unless you are doing something like turning the noise gate all the way up and setting the compressor to minimum, you shouldn't have a problem.

And should the compressor go before, after or in the send/return of the noise suppressor?
Normally, I put a noise suppressor before anything else. I'll usually run from my guitar to a noise gate, a compressor, and then to my amp. Obviously, putting these components at different parts in the chain will affect the final signal differently, so mess with it if you want.
Quote by jam979

They do but they're not designed to, to both statements.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
They do but they're not designed to, to both statements.

If compressors were not designed to increase sustain, why would they boost quiet signals? Did they just throw that feature in for fun? Maybe whoever invented the compressor didn't do so hoping to increase sustain, but he did, and now that's one of the most important features of compressors. Heck, half of the compressors you can buy today have "sustainer" in the name.

And I'll let ISP speak for themselves about noise gates:
The Decimator Pro Rack is extremely easy to use; simply inset the Decimator at the end of your signal chain or, insert the Decimator Pro Rack in the effects loop of your amplifier to clean up the noise present at the amplifier input as well as the noise in the amplifiers pre-amp section.