Page 1 of 2
Hi pit. I think I would ask this question here since it's non music related (and it;'s a serious question). Well I am going to be moving to Ontario in about 4 months (I am from in Switzerland). I plan on becoming a citizen and start a new life there. I've never been any where outside of west europe so I'm a little nervous about it. My question is what is it going to take for me to get citzenship? Is it a hard, long process? What do I have to go through? Also, my english is still not so great, at least when I talk to people face to face, will the launguage barrier be difficult for me to live there?

Thanks.
--Gear--

5 piece blonde sparkle Gretch drum kit

-Drummers need their own forum-
Do you speak fluent French? because that would be a very good asset to have, if you're worried about your English, which should be fine.

Can't say much about the actual citizenship process, though. Sorry.
I can't speak for Ontarians (?), but here in Newfoundland the language barrier is not really an issue, and no one is rude about it. The citizenship process may be a little difficult, what with the test on stiff even us Canadians don't know, but as far as living and working here it shouldn't be too hard.
Quote by blackthought
Have you ever met a moose?

You will.

i've never seen a moose in ontario......
maybe it's cause i live near Toronto
My Gear:

Fretless Squier P Bass
Ibanez SR400QM
Gallien Krueger 1001RB
Traynor TC410
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD-7
According to civics class its easy, you jsut have to live here for a bit first or something. I'm not too sure about the details.

Move to hamilton...thats where I live...Don't live on the mountain though, live down the mountain in the suburbs there, right before you get into the downtown core, tis so awesome there

Quote by blackthought

You will.

I've lived in canada for 16 years and I've never seen a moose in person, and I have a cottage up north

WHERES THE MOOSES AT?! HUH?!
Quote by I.O.T.M
Taking the piss out of Americans is like bullying retards, it's unashamedly one-sided but extremely gratifying.
Last edited by Lasyk at Nov 25, 2009,
Do not listen to this man:

He's very, rat like.

Oh, if you're moving to Ontario, don't worry too much, but you may have a little bit of a problem getting through the french/english barrier. Just work on it, it's nice in Canada...If you don't like it there, move to Edmonton.
you need to live there for about 3 years (i think its 3) before you can get your citizenship
sim simma

who got the keys to my beema
Quote by severed-metal

He looks almost exactly like my physician haha. Who is this?

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
Quote by longneckdude
i've never seen a moose in ontario......
maybe it's cause i live near Toronto

Well, everyone knows mooses can't afford apartments in cities.

Quote by Lasyk
I've lived in canada for 16 years and I've never seen a moose in person, and I have a cottage up north

I...um...damn.
Come to BC, lots of drugs, just kidding.... well no i'm not but Canada isn't a hard country to get citizenship in. My cousins wife is a citizen now (i think) and she lived here 2-3 years before she got it.
Quote by CashMoney54
French won't do you much good in Ontario.

Quebec is right next door. I'm sure there'll be some spillage, though not to the extent of New Brunswick or anything.

Either way, if you're nervous, consider ESL classes.
Quote by OctoberWind

That's Jack Layton, leader of the federal New Democratic Party.

is your physician Dr. Phil?
Last edited by maXterbat0r at Nov 25, 2009,
^ Hardly. Unless Dr. Phil had a love child with a weasel.

Quote by OctoberWind

Jack Layton.
I hunt moose...

I met some guy(boxing club) from germany and he didn't speak alot of english. I didn't mind and nobody else did. People were friendly.

I'm from a reservation and getting my education out in the city. Everybody I met was very friendly and nobody was rude to me. It was wierd because I only spent a couple of days in the city usually.

Edit:
Not from Ontario so I don't know how it's like there
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Last edited by vinnie-watt5 at Nov 25, 2009,
Quote by severed-metal
Do not listen to this man:

He's very, rat like.

Yeah but, dude, you're from Alberta.
MATTERHORN
Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah but, dude, you're from Alberta.

He's still a weasel.

I'm actually from B.C. btw.
Quote by severed-metal
^ Hardly. Unless Dr. Phil had a love child with a weasel.

Jack Layton.
Ehh, balding old white guy with a moustache is what I see when I see either of them.

What's your problem with Layton, anyway?
Quote by Lasyk

Lots of 'em here in NB. Just gotta use the right bait...

Last edited by KeepOnRotting at Nov 25, 2009,
Quote by CashMoney54
French won't do you much good in Ontario.

baha??????? are you kidding me????

i live in ottawa and the city is basically half and half french and english. you clearly don't know what your talking about so don't make assumptions.
^ No kidding...I live in a town of 5000 people, and there is a large amount of french people. So, I doubt that Ontario wouldn't have a fairly large base of frenchies.

No idea actually

I had problems with him in the past, and just can't remember my problem with him. So, he just stays within my dislike range tbh. If I remember, i'll tell ya. I'm pretty sure it was with the re-election with Harper, to be frank.
Last edited by severed-metal at Nov 25, 2009,
Quote by snausages
There's plenty chinese people in Canada.

Yeah, I noticed that. They always have their head down for some reason.(older people) They seem shy but nice. There somebody in my class who's from japan and is shy but Nice and always smiles when she talks.
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Quote by severed-metal

I had problems with him in the past, and just can't remember my problem with him. So, he just stays within my dislike range tbh. If I remember, i'll tell ya. I'm pretty sure it was with the re-election with Harper, to be frank.

Yeah, I remember him doing some douchey shit during the election, but can't put my finger on it.

He is a douche, though, from some things I read a while back.
Quote by JayLacelle
baha??????? are you kidding me????

i live in ottawa and the city is basically half and half french and english. you clearly don't know what your talking about so don't make assumptions.

That's because Ottawa is on a river with Hull on the other side. I grew up in Southern Ontario and now live in Toronto and I can't really speak French at all, and nor can most of the people I know. When living in close proximity to the Ontario-Quebec border it is different, but away from that area the predominant language will always be English.

Oh, and I would recommend living in the Ottawa area, it's one of the nicest in Ontario, if you ask me.
Member #11 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join

Quote by MuffinMan
Women: the newest form of currency.
Last edited by MusicHead32 at Nov 25, 2009,
Quote by blackthought

You will.

Almost hit a moose in my mom's tiny ass car when we were moving up to Northern Ontario. Good times. And whenever I'm traveling anywhere and we leave early in the morning there's always moose along the side of the road
Last edited by SwineSlaughter at Nov 25, 2009,
Yep. If you're really planning on 'starting a new life', French might be helpful to get a nice job in the future. Otherwise, forget it, you don't need it.
Quote by maXterbat0r
Yeah, I remember him doing some douchey shit during the election, but can't put my finger on it.

He is a douche, though, from some things I read a while back.

I think he said something about him losing the election, he was pissed, shoots his mouth off about Harper, Harper calls the re-election, and Jack says you can't do that.

Something like that I think. Really vague on it.
Quote by maXterbat0r
Do you speak fluent French? because that would be a very good asset to have, if you're worried about your English, which should be fine.

Can't say much about the actual citizenship process, though. Sorry.

My native laungauge is Swiss-German.

I know some basic French too.
--Gear--

Quote by Phil Collins
My native laungauge is Swiss-German.

I know some basic French too.
Ah. Well, that's not much help for my idea. Still, you'll most likely be fine, especially if you can fluently read in English, which will be good for many things.
Quote by severed-metal
I think he said something about him losing the election, he was pissed, shoots his mouth off about Harper, Harper calls the re-election, and Jack says you can't do that.

Something like that I think. Really vague on it.
Ahh, that sounds like something he would do.
Last edited by maXterbat0r at Nov 25, 2009,
Quote by Erik_Aero
Where you moving to? (specifically)

It's most likey going to be Scarsborgh (excuse me my english/spelling kinda sucks).
--Gear--

Last edited by Phil Collins at Nov 25, 2009,
To get a Canadian citizenship is a lot like I U.S citizenship, There's a whole bunch of different criteria to get it depending on who you are and what your skills are. I'm sure someone will help as you immigrate.
Quote by Phil Collins
Hi pit. I think I would ask this question here since it's non music related (and it;'s a serious question). Well I am going to be moving to Ontario in about 4 months (I am from in Switzerland). I plan on becoming a citizen and start a new life there. I've never been any where outside of west europe so I'm a little nervous about it. My question is what is it going to take for me to get citzenship? Is it a hard, long process? What do I have to go through? Also, my english is still not so great, at least when I talk to people face to face, will the launguage barrier be difficult for me to live there?

Thanks.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/citizenship/become.asp
This is all you need to know.

I was born here so I've never been through the process but from what I heard it's very easy.
Without a good harmonic knowledge, one cannot expect to become a great jazz soloist ~ Horace Silver

Quote by dietermoreno
Is it possible for 6 string guitar to tune lower than drop C and scales still work?
It should be no problem. Canadians generally love people with accents other than our own (or american). As for getting citizenship, its not really all that difficult. In the mean time, while your citizen applications and all that stuff is going through, you can get a visa to be a premanent resident. with that, you can live in canada as long as you want, can get a job, all that stuff except you wont have a few of the rights you would as a legal canadian citizen. The language thing isn't a big deal. Canada is hugely multicultural. People from every corner of the world live here, so accents and non-perfect english are very common. You will most likely meet somebody who speaks german in the first little while, too. Hope this helps. Good luck!

PS. Feel free to PM me if you want more info...I speak german too (but not very good at swiss german )
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
your average chimp can pass the Canadian citizenship exam

I'm not kidding my extended family was born over in Europe, where as I'm a first generation Canadian, my uncle was studying for the exam I looked it over, pretty much anything on there is something that a 15 year year old Canadian high school student knows, not difficult at all

Scarborough, is an interesting area in Ontario, cause some of it is incredibly affluent, and other part are down right ghetto

but it has some awesome bowling alleys, mostly English spoken there, and don't worry with the large Pakistani, Indian and Chinese/Korean populations living in the area you won't be the only one not fluent in English
I used to be a goddamn saint. I said my prayers and handled snakes until the road introduced me to sin. I only shook hands with drink but he had friends with him
Page 1 of 2