Can good stage presence make a band seem better than they truly are?

There was a school concert last week at my school. Band A consisted of very talented players, but they were so concentrated in the music that their stage presence suffered. Band B played very simple music, but their presence was great because they were jumping all over the place. Anyway, everyone cheered louder for the guys running around rather than the more talented musicians.

Can running around on stage make a band seem more talented?
You gotta be cool and be able to do both at the same time
Quote by Ikey
im no fred flintstone but i can sure make the bed rock

MY GEAR!

Epiphone Futura Custom EX
Randall RG75DG3 Combo Amp
MXR 10-Band EQ
Oscar Schmidt OG10CEN

howya doin

Edit: Near 3 in a row how beautiful
How I wish, how I wish
That the world, that the world
Had just one
THROAT
And my fingers were around it

Literature thread
Last edited by Von. at Nov 25, 2009,
Yes.

Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
people like people who have fun/exciting. if you are a motionless blob of oily faced 15 year olds playing Dream Theater in a highschool auditorium you will not recieve as much positive fanfare as a group of well dressed excited faux punk rockers.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Look at Alice in Chains. They just stand in the same spot on stage and don't move, but everyone loves them.
Yup.

EDIT: Wait, I didn't compute the question properly. TDEP's crazy stage presence makes them more talented than say Opeth who just stands there bobbing their heads.
MATTERHORN
Last edited by Doctor Matthews at Nov 25, 2009,
Not more talented but more enjoyable. Take Sunn 0))) for example. You just cant actually listen to them. You have to see them live because basically their stage presence is the whole thing.
Quote by turd_ferguson
[0:17] If my parents knew I was part of a group who celebrated christmas by drinking cough syrup they would probably cry

WEATHERER, the greatest band ever.
Quote by skaterskagg1
Kiss suck so much ass but they look cool while sucking so people like them.

/thread

Kiss sucked so hard that they were good.
I'd much rather see a band with good stage presence than a few guys standing around playing some complicated technical crap. I can listen to a CD if I want that.

"Well, I'm a musician." No, you're a fucking entertainer, so entertain.
Quote by benx3000
Not more talented but more enjoyable. Take Sunn 0))) for example. You just cant actually listen to them. You have to see them live because basically their stage presence is the whole thing.

Exactly. It makes the band a shitload better in terms of performance but not talent.

I remember I went to a Dream Theater concert (****ING EPIC!), and then going to a Metallica concert soon after. Even though I consider Dream Theater to be better musicians, I had more fun at Metallica because the whole band ran around the stage and pumped up the crowd and shit, and constantly had the crowd participating; where as DT just stood on the same spot the whole concert performing all 'proffessionally', and they only addressed the crowd ONCE in the whole concert, and that was just to say "Thanks guys!".

tl;dr: Stage precense doesn't make a band better, but it makes concerts more fun and energetic!
You should be able to do both.

Crazy lights and shit would deff help a band though lol
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken

I love suicide silence, even if they play the same stuff over and over.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
After seeing both, I'd rather see BTBAM over Motley Crue. I love both bands equally in their own repects and they are polar opposites of the metal genre. Motley Crue was great, best birthday I've ever had, and the best stage presence (minus Mick Mars for obvious reasons) and visual performance I've ever seen and a culmination of one of my life's goals to see one of my favorite bands before one of the original members dies. BTBAM had.... decent stage presence, but their music was as exciting as it was immaculate! They focused a bit more on playing everything right than on looking like "rock stars" which made me happy. Id rather Motley Crue look cool and BTBAM play immaculately than have them both try to do both things and fail at it.

It really depends on what you go to a concert for, what kind of a night the band had, what kind of mindset youre in and just endless factors.

Bottom line, I think its more of a question of "How good are you at what you do" and "what kind of audience appreciates that" Stupid little girls and teenie boppers will love the jonas brothers and hate the amazing Duke Ellington's: 'Night Creature' performance that their parents drag them to. Who's wrong? Its subjective, although my bet would be that all of you would agree that the jazz show would be more entertaining and better than some pre-pubescent douches running around in "rock n roll" outfits playing shit tunes. Demographics.
You're choices were whiskey and weed and Slayer
Quote by KeepOnRotting
I'd much rather see a band with good stage presence than a few guys standing around playing some complicated technical crap. I can listen to a CD if I want that.

This. Some stuff deserves scrutinizing under headphones, but overall it's more enjoyable when it's being bashed out live