so im trying to decide on an amp for christmas/birthday. i plays blues/classic rock stuff such as hendrix, SRV, john mayer, zeppelin, eric clapton and stuff like that. however i also play alot of acoustic so i would like the amp to be able to handle that. i have an american standard strat also. im probably going to go used so im wondering what the better option is. A fender deville or a fender bassman. i know a deville 212 usually goes for 450-600 bucks on ebay, how about the bassman though? any help is much appreciated
dave matthews might.. just.. be.. god..

Quote by gregs1020
yes, pointing it at your head will send the sound towards your head.

it's the same with guns too, before you go testing that one.
Isn't the Bassman a bass amp?
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
no

Quote by gregs1020

Can we erase the past?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25

The Deville has, like most fenders, great cleans. It also takes pedals VERY well. The Bassman is, I've never played the bassman. But what kind of bassman?
Dot>Jekyll & Hyde>Turbo Tuner>DD-3>DD-7>DRRI
the bassman is a guitar amp. fender has been making them since the 50's, they recently started making the 59' bassman reissue. john mayer uses one for his clean sound

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by signedinbloodnz

wrong one. TS is talking about the tweed bassman's of the 50's, not the new bass combos. the 59' fender bassman is one of the most known guitar amps in history.

EDIT: and on topic, i would suggest the bassman. much better clean tones than the newer fender amps IMO
Last edited by JayLacelle at Nov 25, 2009,
@JayLacelle
i've heard the cleans are much better and thats very important. how much more would a used bassman go for?

Quote by gregs1020

from what i checkd the '59 can go from $500us to $1100us
Can we erase the past?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25

Quote by uncboy19
the bassman is a guitar amp. fender has been making them since the 50's, they recently started making the 59' bassman reissue. john mayer uses one for his clean sound

No, the Bassman was originally a bass amp, but guitar players used it more often because it had awesome breakup due to the low headroom. The new reissue is made to guitar specs though, so it isn't really a bass amp like it used to be.
TS, I would go with the Bassman for your purposes and maybe get an OD of some kind to go along with it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by uncboy19
@JayLacelle
i've heard the cleans are much better and thats very important. how much more would a used bassman go for?

probably not a whole lot more than the deville. i live in canada so amp prices are ridiculous up here (bassmans are about $1600) but in the US id bet you could get one for half that used.
I would go with the bassman. Hot Rod Deluxes have a completely unusable drive channel (two, infact), but really great cleans. Bassmans (bassmen? ) sound really fat and growl beautifully when they start breaking up. Buddy Guy's tone is pure bassman. They are thick, mid-full amps. The Deville + Hot Rod Deluxes sound thinner imo.

The only thing that the Bassman lacks that the Deville has is reverb, and that could be sorted with a Malekko Spring Chicken.

Quote by uncboy19

No, John Mayer uses Two Rock and Dumble.
Last edited by ze monsta at Nov 26, 2009,
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
No, the Bassman was originally a bass amp, but guitar players used it more often because it had awesome breakup due to the low headroom. The new reissue is made to guitar specs though, so it isn't really a bass amp like it used to be.
TS, I would go with the Bassman for your purposes and maybe get an OD of some kind to go along with it.

+1

I liked the Deville when I played one....but the Bassman is amazing.
you're going to have to keep in mind that a Bassman is going to sound rather Marshally when you turn it up.