I need a good amp for acoustic electric. I am going to be buying one for my girlfriend for christmas. Her music influences are 3 Doors Down, Blue October, Rob Thomas, etc. I prefer tube. This will be strictly for home use. Budget is up to $500 but less is better. Sorry if this is the wrong section
Ihor

<current gear>
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Boss NS-2, TU-2, MT-2, DS-1, SD-1
Actually, solid state is preferred for acoustic amps because it doesn't color your sound the way a tube amp does. Unlike electrics, your acoustic tone should be as much the guitar as possible. The amp is only there to help people hear you play.

Beyond that, I don't know much about acoustic amps. There should be a link to an "electronics for acoustics" thread in the A&C Master Info. sticky though.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I would highly suggest this amp from AAD by Phil Jones.

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_CUB%20AG100%202x5%20Acoustic%20Guitar%20Amplifier_-1_10052_10002_-49982119

It's probably one of the best you'll find, and probably more than enough power.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I really prefer tube, unless you can tell me why a solid-state may be better for this application. Any other ideas? I was hoping to pick something up tomorrow at guitar center's black friday sale.
Ihor

<current gear>
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Boss NS-2, TU-2, MT-2, DS-1, SD-1
You can't use tube amps to its full potential because it breaks up. It will only have so much headroom before it distorts. Solid state is much preferred for the application of acoustic guitars because of this.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
You can't use tube amps to its full potential because it breaks up. It will only have so much headroom before it distorts. Solid state is much preferred for the application of acoustic guitars because of this.

because tube amps ALWAYS break up? i think i said the same thing (mabye even to the same person, i forget ) in another thread: tube amps are fine for acoustic as long as:

1. they have a good, transparent clean tone
2. they have lots of headroom

i understand that some people prefer SS acoustic amps, but to say you "can't" use a tube amp is just wrong.
Quote by captivate

^ I also answered you in the other thread and addressed your concerns. As well, I didn't say it always breaks up as you can see what I said above in bold - you have to take what I said in context.

It certainly is fine as long as you have large headroom, but why would you buy an expensive tube amp where you can only use the headroom when you can buy a much cheaper SS amp designed specifically for acoustic guitar(tube amps add tonal colouring. Acoustic SS amps try not to), where there will be virtually no break up of clean tones?
Equipment: