I own an mg412 cab with an mg100hdfx head.
im using an epiphone les paul special right now,
but will hopefully soon be getting an esp ltd ec-1000 deluxe with emg's.
Most of what I've been reading says that the emg's on this guitar will have terrible sound out of a solid state amp like this.
I was wondering am I better off selling the amp and head off and upgrading to some form of tube amp, either combo or head/cab, or simply selling the head and upgrading to a tube amp head and using the mg412?
If so which tube amps are the best "bang for my buck" or good sound quality without paying
thousands of dollars?
style of playing is metalcore/deathcore/metal
thanks
Dude, EMG's are sweet for metal! Tube amps are awesome for tone they can't be beaten. I have both a tube 200w marshall major tube & a solid state marshall AVT150 head and quads. Valve has a harmonic quality about it and blow your balls off loud!! if you want to be rugged with your gear and still get a good tone low go for a solid state it's going to be more reliable at the end of the day. check out the PV VYPER amps there pretty hot, or Line6. Hi Watt have some pretty cheap solid state stuff that's great bang for buck.

Whats your budget? and country?

Have you thought about a good solid state amp with in board modeling a good modelling pedal?

For all my practices and some gigs I just plug my X3 direct into the PA.
MARSHALL: AVT 2000, MARSHALL: JTM 200 MARSHALL MAJOR 1969, LINE 6: POD X3 LIVE, VARIAX 600, VARIAX 700, GIBSON: FIREBIRD V,FERNANDES: REVELLE DK, FERNANDES: RETRO ROCKET PRO, BOSS: RC 50 loop station
blackstar ht-5, bugerra v22 and there are more. i think you will need pedals aswell.
Quote by Clinical Notes
Dude, EMG's are sweet for metal! Tube amps are awesome for tone they can't be beaten. I have both a tube 200w marshall major tube & a solid state marshall AVT150 head and quads. Valve has a harmonic quality about it and blow your balls off loud!! if you want to be rugged with your gear and still get a good tone low go for a solid state it's going to be more reliable at the end of the day. check out the PV VYPER amps there pretty hot, or Line6. Hi Watt have some pretty cheap solid state stuff that's great bang for buck.

Whats your budget? and country?

Have you thought about a good solid state amp with in board modeling a good modelling pedal?

For all my practices and some gigs I just plug my X3 direct into the PA.

you really think emg's would sound good with a solid state like this?
My budget would be selling my current amp, either just the head or both head and cab, and whatever money i made from that I would chip in idk 200-300 towards the next amp
Last edited by DowninFlames92 at Nov 26, 2009,
Way to bump your thread after a half hour, TS.

I won't report you this time, but go read the rules and stickies in every section of the forums before posting (some sections have different rules about different things).

As for your amp. The reason that people dislike active pickups through SS amps is the fact that the way active pickups work is they use a weak magnet just to pickup the signal, then a built-in preamp to strongly boost the signal. This boosted signal is designed to push already overdriven tube amps harder to give you a more saturated, higher-gain tone.

However, when you use active pickups with an SS amp you are actually pushing the transistor harder which causes clipping. Transistor clipping is generally an undesired tone.

As for your amp, you should definitely sell both the head and the cab.

The new amp depends on a few things:

What is your budget?
Are you willing to buy used?
Is it for bedroom use, jamming with friends, gigging, or a combination of the three?

Until these questions are answered it will be hard to recommend something that will suit your needs (seeing as we really don't know your needs lol). However I will leave you with a couple recommendations.

Peavey 6505 112 combo
Used Ampeg VH140c (this is a SS amp so you'd be better off using a guitar with passive pickups)

What is your budget?
Is it for bedroom use, jamming with friends, gigging, or a combination of the three?
QUOTE]

My budget would be however much money I could get for selling the amp head and cab, plus 200-300 dollars
I am willing to buy used yes. With how expensive tube amps are, That would probably be my first choice.
It's mainly for jamming with friends and hopefully gigging this summer
I would play on it my basement, however I have a small crappy line6 spider3 I would use as my main "bedroom use" amp
Quote by Clinical Notes

I don't even know where to begin with this.

Its a very common myth that you have to be "ever so gentle" with tube amps. I have two (one of them being a 36 year old amp) and lets just say I'm not very easy on my gear. I've never had a problem with either amp and they are still working fine.

While you generally do encounter more problems with tube amps than you do with SS amps, they are normally very small and easy to fix. The majority of problems that you will have with a SS amp will require several hours of diagnosis just to find the problem and several more hours of repair time. This can prove very costly and frustrating (and often times you're better off just pitching the amp and getting a new one).

The Vypyrs are decent amps, but they are greatly overrated here on UG. There are several better amps that you could find used for the same price as the higher wattage Vypyrs. And as far as Line 6 is concerned, unless you're talking about a Vetta or Flextone then Line 6 isn't the way to go. The Spider Valves are alright, but for the price I'd take something else any day.
Quote by DowninFlames92
Quote by i_am_metalhead

What is your budget?

My budget would be however much money I could get for selling the amp head and cab, plus 200-300 dollars
I am willing to buy used yes. With how expensive tube amps are, That would probably be my first choice.
It's mainly for jamming with friends and hopefully gigging this summer
I would play on it my basement, however I have a small crappy line6 spider3 I would use as my main "bedroom use" amp

Well definitely look into the 6505 1x12 combo. Its plenty loud for band and gigging situations and has plenty of gain on tap for pretty much any metal that you would wanna play - also, the 5150/6505 is pretty much the staple amp for the entire metalcore genre.

There are other amps out there but my brain is in lazy mode right now and I just can't think of any. Someone should come along and recommend some more soon enough though
throw your money at some quality effects! your amps got plenty of balls already. invest your money right the 1st time.
MARSHALL: AVT 2000, MARSHALL: JTM 200 MARSHALL MAJOR 1969, LINE 6: POD X3 LIVE, VARIAX 600, VARIAX 700, GIBSON: FIREBIRD V,FERNANDES: REVELLE DK, FERNANDES: RETRO ROCKET PRO, BOSS: RC 50 loop station
Quote by Clinical Notes
throw your money at a quality amp!

fixed
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Clinical Notes
throw your money at some quality effects! your amps got plenty of balls already. invest your money right the 1st time.

Please go away
Quote by i_am_metalhead
This boosted signal is designed to push already overdriven tube amps harder to give you a more saturated, higher-gain tone.

Actually, they were designed to push your signal through a big long chain of solid state pedals and rack effects with low noise and less tone suck then passives (who's higher impedance causes them to lose high end). What you're describing is called an unintended consequence, after metal bands found out about actives.

As long as SS amps are adequately buffered they won't encounter clipping and thus won't sound like poo with active (or other high output) pickups. Also, there's a number of passive pickups with outputs that match or exceed EMG actives, not to mention actives keep their tone when you back off on the volume, passive require a mod to do that.

No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Chiming in: if you're short on cash, your cab will last you - a new head is your highest priority in this case.

I haven't played with active pickups, but I do know that you'll be hard pressed to find a decent tube amp for metal which is pretty cheap - there's a reason why they're cheap. Comb eBay and pawn shops for second hand, as second hand models are usually just as good as new gear, plus they're cheaper and have some cool road wear.
Quote by STABxYOU
Actually, they were designed to push your signal through a big long chain of solid state pedals and rack effects with low noise and less tone suck then passives (who's higher impedance causes them to lose high end). What you're describing is called an unintended consequence, after metal bands found out about actives.

As long as SS amps are adequately buffered they won't encounter clipping and thus won't sound like poo with active (or other high output) pickups. Also, there's a number of passive pickups with outputs that match or exceed EMG actives, not to mention actives keep their tone when you back off on the volume, passive require a mod to do that.

so you think I should just stick with my amp and get a quality pedalboard for it?
Speaking from experience, a quality head will do wonders for you. I'd hang on to your cab, you can always get some new speaks for later on. Emminence makes a 4 speaker bundle that dosent run you too bad. You can get you hands on some Clestion V30's for a good price on CL or Ebay if you wait around and jump on it.

Pedals are usually only as good as the Guitar and Amplifier that Are pushing them, well.....its a long story. But suffice to say that a Stuffed board full of MXR and EHx pedals may sound great, but they sound better on a quality amp, with a quality guitar.

Point being, nothing is better in the "Get a better sound" world than a good tube head.

My couple of suggestions...

6505/5150 head - 6505 1x12 Combo - I own a 5150, great amp.
Marshall JCM 800 (Modded would be great) - a Good OD will get you into the death metal world
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
There's a lot of fail in this thread regarding gear misconceptions. I don't really know too much about Active Pups, so I won't go there, but:

-You should NEVER get lots of pedals if your amp is crap (which in this case it is)

-You should usually not run active pups through a solid state amp if you're looking to play metal

-Your cab is in fact very important to the sound. A crappy cab with good speakers will never sound better than OK. Either invest in a good cab and a good head (out of your budget) or get a combo.

-Volume and "balls" is far from the only, or most meaningful consideration when it comes to tone.

I would sell your MG stack, which will get you about $600. Adding $300 in, you have $900. With this money, I'd either get a used 5150 combo, or (if you want good cleans), a Bugera 6260 combo. The Bugera is better all around, but doesn't have the metal distortion "oomph" of a 5150. Also, check out the Gear For Metal Thread to see what you can get used, as I'm no expert on metal amps.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by DowninFlames92
so you think I should just stick with my amp and get a quality pedalboard for it?

No, I think your amp sucks and the cab is at best only worth holding onto as a stop gate. The MG cab is made of compressed fibre board, and Marshall puts awful speakers in it's cheaper gear. I own an AVT, I've seen the sounds the stock speakers make.

I'd look for a used 6505/5150 or an Ampeg SS/VH or a Crate GX. A Bugera or a B_52 might be worth looking at, but I've heard about reliability issues with both.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
TS, what is the closest major city to you?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
TS, what is the closest major city to you?

This, Craigslist is a great option for used gear.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by Ducky-Kun
Please go away

Ducky get some real gear!!! you puss