i'm building a guitar for my dad. this is my second actual build, first time cutting wood. how would a korina/limba body with a maple neck and maple fretboard sound? it would be in either a tele or strat shape. also, how would redwood with a korina/limba drop top be with the same neck options? with the korina/limba, would it be advisable to go with a rosewood fretboard instead of maple to smoothen it out or just stick with the maple (which i think would look prettier)? thanks
I vote Telecaster.

Also, I don't believe this is considered a build, because you are Manufacturing, or making some of the elements(parts) in your guitar.

Tip: When making posts, try to use the enter key, and seperate each individual idea, into seperate paraghraphs. I find your post very hard to read.
..I was watching my death.
name make no difference to me =p

i was planning on going with the telecaster shape because it tends to have the most acoustic qualities to it.

i only need to make a decision on what woods i would like to use with it. i'm pretty sure i'm set with (white) korina and maple fretboard/neck, i just want to see what others think. i just don't want it to be overly bright and have no low end.
I can't recall ever seeing a thread on GB&C about someone Creating a Strat.
I guess maybe because it's a very common instrument, and can be found on pawn shops easily?

For a strat, They're usually ment o have that vintage twang. They originally used ash, a while ago.
If your doing a tele, I would've suggested Maple/Maple Neck and Fretboard. It looks sweet.
It would still look cool on a strat.

What pups are you planning to use? You could make up the loss of lowe-end ranges with a low-end pup.
it's to be in the style/shape of a strat or tele but it's not exactly one. it's to be unique. my dad mostly wants the shape that way because its comfortable for him to play while sitting. i have some thoughts on how to change the shape already, kinda like the prs cutout for the fretting hand.

i'm not quite sure what pickups i'll be putting in yet but i know i'll be buying from GFS. i bought a neovin pup for my last build's neck position and my dad and i absolutely love it's smooth tone so that might be one. it has decent bottom end too. any suggestions (preferably GFS)?
Quote by timbit2006
Also, I don't believe this is considered a build, because you are Manufacturing, or making some of the elements(parts) in your guitar.

What the heck do think a build is? This will be far more of a build than putting together a kit.

Quote by hollitrumpet12
it's to be in the style/shape of a strat or tele but it's not exactly one. it's to be unique. my dad mostly wants the shape that way because its comfortable for him to play while sitting.

You could do a Tele body shape with the forearm contour and tummy cut of a Strat. That is a very comfortable shape. Korina and maple would be a terrific combination. Korina is a very balanced sounding wood and the brightness of the maple will sound great on a Tele or Strat.
i have no idea what the he was talking about this being not a build.

yeah that's what i planned on having for the contours. thank you very much, that's the exact answer i needed.
In my mind, a build is,
1.Buying all the stuff needed to make the guitat(Body, neck, etc.)
2.Assembling it.
That's my thoughts on what a build is classified as.
I don't think any dictionary has anything related to guitar under build, unless in a Guitar Dictionary, or in Examples in a Dictionary.

I support the idea of getting GFS pups. I don't know why some people think they are terrible...
Just be warned, If you choose the USPS shipping, It takes 2 weeks. Took 2 weeks getting here, but I'm in Canada.
That's an assembly, not a guitar build.

The TS is building a guitar, therefor its a guitar build.
Quote by guitarcam123
That's an assembly, not a guitar build.

The TS is building a guitar, therefor its a guitar build.

Alright,
It seems by popular opinion, that I was wrong.
Sorry 'bout being wrong then...
Telecasters are the way to go. The necks are thin and easy to play on. But you are limited to the things to mod. If i were you i would go for the Strat because you can do anything that you can do with any other guitar (as far as mods go). My first suggestion is to upgrade the pickups (to EMGs or something like that). Then upgrade the tuners (to Sperzel locking tuners), then what i'm going to get is a Super-Vee tremolo system , which you don't have to anything to your guitar and it's , in opinion, better than a FR (Floyd Rose). So, it also is based on your style of playing. I would go for the Tele for the tone and playability. But for the Strat, i would use it for grudge and sounds you can make from it.

It's really up to you and the style you play. That's my opinion.