I was just wondering if there is a difference between bass and guitar power amps or if all the difference is in the pre-amp.
And can anyone recommend a good power amp? I'm open to tube or solid state. I'm just starting to figure out what I want in my future rack.
the wattage of bass power amps is usually much higher than that of a power amp made for a guitar, but when it come to bass amps, I would probably just go the way of getting a rack mountable head and not worrying about separating pre and power amps

also just out of curiosity, what all are you planning on having in your rack?
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Fender Jazz V
Yahama Pacifica 112
Acoustic B200h
2 custom 1x15 cabs
Vox AD30VT
too many pedals
Last edited by BamaBlues at Nov 26, 2009,
Quote by BamaBlues
the wattage of bass power amps is usually much higher than that of a power amp made for a guitar, but when it come to bass amps, I would probably just go the way of getting a rack mountable head and not worrying about separating pre and power amps

The idea of having a couple of (very) difference pre-amps really appeals to me that's alot of the reason why I'm looking into this.
Quote by consecutive e
The idea of having a couple of (very) difference pre-amps really appeals to me that's alot of the reason why I'm looking into this.

I actually didnt think of that, cool idea. You will defiantly want a bass power amp not a guitar one, they lack power/wattage. For come companies that make nice power amps that I know of off the top of my head, look into Fender, Eden, Ampeg, Ashdown bass power amps
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Fender Jazz V
Yahama Pacifica 112
Acoustic B200h
2 custom 1x15 cabs
Vox AD30VT
too many pedals
Back in the 70's, bassists just used a PA power amp in conjunction with a good preamp; usually one by Ampeg, Alembic or some other pricey manufacturer. This arrangement works great - even more so today because we have a better selection of preamps from which to choose. Pairing a 700 to 1000-watt good quality power amp with a first-rate preamp like the SansAmp RBI or RPM and a couple of 4x10 cabinets (or even a 4x10 and a 1x15) gives you a great rig that will make even the loudest guitarists beg for mercy.

There are some dedicated bass power amps out there; notably the Fender MB-1200. But you would be better off buying the Fender TB-1200, which is the MB-1200 power amp combined with the TB-1 preamp. I would stay away from a power amp dedicated to guitar, as it probably will not exceed 100 watts or so, and you will want more for bass. Of course, you could use such an amp for your bass if you like.
So far from responses I'm gathering the only difference between a "dedicated" guitar and bass power amp is wattage, nothing in the actual circuitry of the power amp itself?
I'm hopefully about to enter a very well paying job where money really wont be an object when it comes to getting the sound I want out of gear and I want to start building the rig that will stay with me for as long as I can still play.
Theres no point in going for dedicated poweramp, get any preamp thats the wattage you want. Make sure the tone levels from the preamp to the power amp match, and put them together. Dedicated poweramps are alot more expensive.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Nov 27, 2009,
Quote by fatgoogle
Theres no point in going for dedicated preamp, get any preamp thats the wattage you want. Make sure the lone l;evels from the preamp to the power amp match, and put them together. Dedicated preamps are alot more expensive.

Preamps don't have wattage they just shape the signal before it reaches the output power stage.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Sorry swap all the words preamp with poweramp in my last post.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul