Hey pit, how ya doin?

I'm gonna see if i can get away with posting something slightly guitar related in the pit.

No TL;DR, sorry

Ever since the beginning of the winter i've been feeling a bit moody, not sure what it is but i'm feeling different. Alot of things about me have changed. Attitude, appearance, but what worries me most is that i don't even have the drive to pick up my guitar anymore. I don't feel like putting effort into it anymore.

I'm sorry for coming to you guys like this, but i feel like it's getting really bad, i've searchbarred and i've tried a lot of the pit's suggestions, but none of them seem to work. I've taken a prolonged break, that lasted a few weeks, i've tried learning different styles to inspire me, and i took another break after that. To no avail. I feel as if playing guitar is becoming a chore and the only thing preventing me from selling my gear is that i have to teach people how to play, occasionally. I honestly never thought i'd be one of the guys that posted a thread like this, but it's worrying me.

I'd really love to hear about anyone's similar experiences and how you resolved it if you even did. Thanks for your time, pit.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Maybe you could pick up another instrument for a bit, and then get back to it.
Either that, or you could learn to sing whilst playing guitar.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Yea, I'm feeling the same way, the only thing keeping me from selling my gear is the fact I spent so much on it and I own it... I have a habit of doing things on impulse like selling everything and then later regretting it and buying shit back. I have only been playing like 30 minutes a week or so... No joke though, whenever I fap I always feel more inspired to play... I know, weird, right?
Quote by Iriathz
Maybe you could pick up another instrument for a bit, and then get back to it.
Either that, or you could learn to sing whilst playing guitar.

Yeah, done that haha, as for the guy above you, i play Guitar, bass, drums, alto sax and i do sing. There's not much of a music industry down here, so that's pretty much all we can learn. Our school's music system prevents me from learning another orchestral instrument because they need me to play sax mostly because of the 5 years of experience.
CALL ME JOHN

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
buy mounds of new gear and guilt yourself into continuing playing guitar cause of all the cash you just blew....... and if that doesnt work learn a new instrument. that does wonders
What they said^^^^

Piano?
Harmonica?
Harmonica AND guitar??
Vocals?

Hit it up for sure dude!
Quote by Tyrus97
buy mounds of new gear and guilt yourself into continuing playing guitar cause of all the cash you just blew....... and if that doesnt work learn a new instrument. that does wonders

haha, check out my sig. my cash has been blown, thrice.

Quote by Code-E
What they said^^^^

Piano? *i can, somewhat not sure if i could ever find a proficient teacher in the area
Harmonica? Never really thought of that, i might hit it up soon.
Harmonica AND guitar??^
Vocals? Check*

Hit it up for sure dude!

I'll see if i can find anything around here.
CALL ME JOHN

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Last edited by IbanezRGS at Nov 26, 2009,
Well, like they said up there, you could learn a new instrument and then come back to guitar. Or you could learn a new style/genre. Listen to some new music and explore new ways of playing.

LTD EX-351
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1960A
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
Take up an entirely new outlet then maybe? Do you like to paint, draw, or write?

Other creative things not your thing? I like exploring a lot, find some new neat secret places where you live. I recommend cliffs/caves as well as secret tunnels like storm drains beneath parking lots.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
well then blow your money thrice over again
Last edited by Tyrus97 at Nov 26, 2009,
Quote by IbanezRGS
Yeah, done that haha, as for the guy above you, i play Guitar, bass, drums, alto sax and i do sing. There's not much of a music industry down here, so that's pretty much all we can learn. Our school's music system prevents me from learning another orchestral instrument because they need me to play sax mostly because of the 5 years of experience.

I was once at a similar stage. Then a friend of mine invited me into his band, and it soon turned out that the reason they called me in was because they too had run out of ideas and out of inspiration. One day, in this dude's studio I picked up my strat and started thinking basics. I had been listening to Black Sabbath quite a lot at the time, so I decided to formulate a simple Sabbath style riff. It worked, and I found myself listening to the one thing that motivated me to pick up a guitar in the first place: the music I love. That riff ended up becoming the basis for our song Ultra-Violent Light.
What is this that stands before me?

Figure in black that points at me...

FUCKETH THINE SELF
move to a new genre, get a new teacher
GO Islanders!

J!E!T!S! JETS JETS JETS!!!!!
Quote by Bushinarin
Take up an entirely new outlet then maybe? Do you like to paint, draw, or write?

Other creative things not your thing? I like exploring a lot, find some new neat secret places where you live. I recommend cliffs/caves as well as secret tunnels like storm drains beneath parking lots.

I like that idea a lot actually, behind my house there an open field and shallow lakes. The occasional water drainage pipe-looking-thingy and a dirt hill. a big dirt hill, made of dirt.

I do find it hard to do half of the things i wish i could do that, between school and work it's kind of hectic.

Quote by sketchy z
move to a new genre, get a new teacher

I'm self-taught in guitar, haha
CALL ME JOHN

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Quote by IbanezRGS
I like that idea a lot actually, behind my house there an open field and shallow lakes. The occasional water drainage pipe-looking-thingy and a dirt hill. a big dirt hill, made of dirt.

I do find it hard to do half of the things i wish i could do that, between school and work it's kind of hectic.

I'm self-taught in guitar, haha

i have been for six years, recently got a teacher. Best decision i ever made
GO Islanders!

J!E!T!S! JETS JETS JETS!!!!!
Apart from above options, try getting your music out there. When your just a small gig player or bedroom player, it can be hard to be motivated. But there is nothing like performing to crowds
RIP Gooze

cats
finding new music is my solution. when i find a band i haven't heard of that makes me go wow, ...it just makes everything better for a moment.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
start running bro, you feel a bit sore after the first few jogs, but then after that you get home all happy like, its amazing.
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
Iwent off guitar for a while lasted most of a year then one day booom the drive was back and I was also learning alot faster don't worry and give it some time
* If my punctuation seems off, it's because my shift button is broken *
Quote by IbanezRGS

I hear you man, it is really hard to find the time. About shallow lakes though, be careful. A lot of time there are pipes that can have enough suction to pull you under the water and drown you.

Don't die, just explore.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Buy a backing tracks CD and just have fun soloing or jam with other people.
it sounds like you have seasonal affective disorder
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
I suggest trying out a new instrument and a totally different genre, like piano jazz or classical.
Tbh if the bloke is saying that he is finding guitar to be a chore then i dont think getting into jazz is the right course of action because it requires quite of a lot of practice (the more boring type of practice).
i'm not sure if it's been posted, but get some sun. if it's too cold go to the tanning bed. vitamin d deficiency can make you feel like shit. i just occasionally sit at a table in my house where the sun shines in and i feel better afterward.
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
Go watch some real bands live.

In real life. Youtube does not count.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by Zeroxsk8er1
make some friends who also play guitar, and are good at it.

jam with them for fun, and you'll slowly get back into it.

it happened to me.

I only know a handful of people that can play guitar decently well around me. They have time management issues as well =(

Quote by bellamy_morello
it sounds like you have seasonal affective disorder

What's that?

Quote by Randal37
what would motivate me, is if I could convince all my friends to go buy musical instruments and then teach them to play, and then start a band lol. I actually really think two of my friends should take up bass, but they both poor =/

I'm buying one of my friends a guitar (of her choosing)for christmas, she's taking lessons from someone else though.

Quote by skwelcher
i'm not sure if it's been posted, but get some sun. if it's too cold go to the tanning bed. vitamin d deficiency can make you feel like shit. i just occasionally sit at a table in my house where the sun shines in and i feel better afterward.

Winter is pretty cold aroun here, but i'm not too confident on how much sun that i take in. I spend most of my school day inside and the sun is usually down by about 5pm.

Quote by osXtiger
Go watch some real bands live.

In real life. Youtube does not count.

Only been to one concert, which was in july. Great concert i must say, i don't get the opportunity very often though.
CALL ME JOHN

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong