I'm looking to get into bass but right now I only have the money to get the bass itself without the amp. Might sound a bit stupid but my question is if playing the bass without the amp would be audible enough for practice, I went to the store and tried a few out just playing random notes and found that it was but I had to pick the strings rather hard as opposed to how I would pick strings on my acoustic guitar (which obviously would have a higher volume). And I wouldn't want to pick the strings that hard if it's not supposed to necessary, if I had an amp. Then again it was a busy store which is a completely different atmosphere to my home which would be quieter.
I usually practice by pushing the headstock against a wall. as one would assume, the drywall is a bit of a mud machine, but for free amplification, it is quite nice.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
I usually practice by pushing the headstock against a wall. as one would assume, the drywall is a bit of a mud machine, but for free amplification, it is quite nice.

That, sir, is a very good idea.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Yeah, I guess I could try that but can you still hear the bass properly if you didn't do that?
I seldom take an amp with me. Bass amps are generally huge and heavy, and though I like the sound and feel of all that air moving, I’m just too lazy to carry the amp and cabinets around. During practice I play over our P.A. and live I generally have a floor monitor stationed near me. Add to that the fact that bass waves tend to spread out more, it’s not so critical as to where you’re standing.
If I had my own roadie I would probably see this whole subject much differently. LOL
Arguing on the Internet is a lot like being in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded
if it's pretty quiet. playing with anyone would not be an option.

what bass do you intend to get anyways?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Then you can go ahead and plug em into any other speaker you have....for instance, your pc speakers.....
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
Probably the Squier P or J Bass. I don't intend on playing with anyone anytime soon, so I'm just wondering about this in practice conditions.

Edit:
Quote by kennethdave
Then you can go ahead and plug em into any other speaker you have....for instance, your pc speakers.....

You can do that!? Won't it damage your speakers.
Last edited by Jecc at Nov 26, 2009,
Quote by kennethdave

not unless you have an interface and a program that will play back for you.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Perhaps you could simply pickup a cheap acoustic bass, and save money for an electric and an amp? A cheap acoustic bass will only set you back $100-$150, less if you go used, and you'll be able to hear yourself.
Agile Intrepid Pro 828 Natural w/ Maple fretboard
Agile Hornet 7 w/ custom steel pickguard
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier w/ 2x12 G12T-75 cab
Maxon OD808
Boss HM-2
Along the lines of self-amplification. I sometimes play with hooded sweatshirt on, just put up the hood, bring the bass close to your chest and the sound will travel through the fibers right into your ears. It's like a really warm pair of headphones.

You should get the bass you want. Technique is really the only thing you need to work on when you begin playing. Getting plugged in isn't necessary for that.
It's probably much harder to perfect technique when you can't hear yourself.
Agile Intrepid Pro 828 Natural w/ Maple fretboard
Agile Hornet 7 w/ custom steel pickguard
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier w/ 2x12 G12T-75 cab
Maxon OD808
Boss HM-2
Thanks for the help guys and not to be rude but none of you have really answered my question. Can one of you guys just go to your bass, unplug it and see if you can play and hear yourself. I understand that it may be different depending on what bass you have but it would give me a better idea of what to expect.
If it's really quiet I can hear myself playing slap bass. Just using fingers though it's pretty quiet, although I pick pretty hard so I can hear decently enough.
  • Fender American Standard Stratocaster
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30
Quote by Jecc
Thanks for the help guys and not to be rude but none of you have really answered my question. Can one of you guys just go to your bass, unplug it and see if you can play and hear yourself.

Yes you can hear yourself play. Do you honestly think its going to be completely silent?

If you want to buy a bass with no amp then get an acoustic bass. If you want an electric bass then just get a cheaper model than you are looking at, so you can afford a small practice amp.

Rondo makes some nice basses that are good quality for the price - http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html
Last edited by Matt420740 at Nov 26, 2009,
yeah you can hear yourself alright. I play in my room at night unpluged sometimes.And I practically learned guitar on an unplugged electric because I didn't want people to hear me practicing simple things over and over.
no sir away a papaya war is on
you should be able to hear it enough to practice, unless your deaf
Rig:
Jay Turser ES-335 w/ 2 Burstbuckers OR
J&E Custom w Duncan SSL3 and SHL59>
MXR Dynacomp>
Ibanez TS-9>
Dunlop Crybaby>
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212
effects loop:
Boss BD-2>
Danelectro Vibe>
Boss DD-6>
Morley Volume

my shit screams.
Solution: Get an acoustic bass.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Matt420740
Yes you can hear yourself play. Do you honestly think its going to be completely silent?

If you want to buy a bass with no amp then get an acoustic bass. If you want an electric bass then just get a cheaper model than you are looking at, so you can afford a small practice amp.

Rondo makes some nice basses that are good quality for the price - http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html

No, I didn't think it was gonna be completely silent but I thought I might have some trouble hearing myself to practice normally. I considered an acoustic bass but have found nothing new or used, then again I've only been to a couple of stores.
It gets a little harder on the lower tones, but that's how I managed for the first few months, not having sufficient funds for amplification. Then I realized that a 1/4 inch to headphone jack and around ear headphones work fine. It sounds a little weird, but whatever. This is also assuming that your bass is active. I'm too lazy to find that out myself.
Rondo > squire. and yes you can hear an electric bass unplugged fine. I leave my brothers bass on a shelf in my closet and play it that gives you some sweet low end
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Quote by Jecc
Probably the Squier P or J Bass. I don't intend on playing with anyone anytime soon, so I'm just wondering about this in practice conditions.

Edit:

You can do that!? Won't it damage your speakers.

Nope, unless you wana play till the whole neighbourhood hears ya then be my guest....
~Bruce Dickinson~

"Various equipments"
Quote by the humanity
not unless you have an interface and a program that will play back for you.

That aint necessary.....unless you want some preamps and stuff, if the TS just wants to practice and play with cleans tones, why need any interface....just plug and play.....
~Bruce Dickinson~

"Various equipments"
^so as to not completely kill the speakers, I would guess.
I've been using my amplug ac30 headphone amp and it works just fine. They do a bass version as well.

Mark
Quote by Halakar
^so as to not completely kill the speakers, I would guess.

this.

though a USB cord would help avoid the expensive interface.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Matt420740

Lol, I love when Rondo misplaces things.

That said, it would be a very good idea to grab a bass from here. You'll get better quality compared to a squier affinity, and should have enough left over for some form of amplification. Playing is really a lot more fun and interesting when you can hear yourself properly.
Nope, no sig here.
I have been without an amp for a very long time; since my previous amp broke down and now I am waiting for tomorrow's Black Friday sale so I can even afford one. So to your question, it is audible when playing by yourself and even more so if you place it on some drywall or a bed like someone else already mentioned; that method will make the lows louder.

So if you are just starting out, I would not say it is needed at all, I wish I hadn't of even bought a practice amp when I started out, would have saved a few bucks.
You can't party without an amp. And what's the point if not to party?
yea i do this sometime at night so i dont wake people up, just make sure your in a quiet room ie, no tv on
Yes you'll hear yourself, but not practicing with an amp early on can create bad habits. I still play around without plugging in but not actual "practice" more like lazy noodling and such.
no sig for joo
Quote by smb
You can't party without an amp. And what's the point if not to party?

this man makes a valid point.
no sir away a papaya war is on
instead of getting an electric you should buy an acoustic with an output signal for amps
It's good to practice without an amp, and since you're starting out I'd say just wait to get an amp. It's a lot harder to sound good without an amp, so it will help you become a solid player in the long run.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
While we're on the subject of playing without a big bulky amp

http://www.voxamps.com/amplug/

Has anyone tried those before? I was thinking of getting em since they only cost around $75 AUD around my area, since I cant afford an amp aswell.
Quote by Matt420740

Quote by TechnoLp
Rondo > squire. and yes you can hear an electric bass unplugged fine. I leave my brothers bass on a shelf in my closet and play it that gives you some sweet low end

Got any particular recommendations? I was looking at:

http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa2rnbk.html

Because it's in the style of the Jazz bass, which I've heard is more suitable for slapping and I intend to learn at some point.
Quote by the humanity

Works quite amazingly!