Some of my friends, and a lot of players on boards, are worried about getting a deal. I know guys who will actually pass on a good guitar if it isn't a "deal". Seems like these people are very concerned with value, and I don't get it.

You see, I'm concerned with good tone, comfortable neck and body and build quality. If I play a guitar that is excellent in those areas, and I can afford it, I'll buy it. And sure, I'd like to spend less if possible, but if the price is firm and the guitar is right, I don't worry about getting a deal. If I truly can't afford an excellent guitar, I won't try and get a guitar that isn't excellent but is a better value just because I now have GAS.

When I'm buying a guitar, I listen with my ears and not my wallet, and I need it to be comfortable to play.

I buy the best guitar that I can afford, regardless of whether I can afford $400 or $2400. Of course, being a more expensive guitar doesn't mean a better guitar, either. The best sounding parlor I've found costs $915, yet another I tried the same day was over $1500 and didn't even come close. And I'm not saying you should spend more than you have to. But I AM saying don't spend less than you have to to get the best guitar you can own.

Getting a great deal on a so-so sounding guitar in the long run simply means you have a so-so sounding guitar. The deal is over once you buy the instrument and all that's left is an uninspiring guitar with meh sound. But even if you spend the full going price for a great guitar, once paying for it is over you'll be able to enjoy the sound and feel of a great guitar for years to come. A great guitar will inspire you to play more, which will make you a better player, which in turn will make playing more fun.
but i only hav $120 dollar 2 spend lolzzzz

I'd skimp on everything else to afford an instrument that had really caught my eye. Though I'm sure many wouldn't do the same, I figure when splurging on an already expensive passion, why not do it to the fullest and end up with something that really inspires? It's not like I buy guitars to save money.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Nov 26, 2009,
if you have enough money to shop for a guitar without looking at the price tag then good for you, but most people don't like shedding 5 thousand dollars for a "great" guitar.

best guitar buying advice ever: buy used. cheaper + they don't make them like they used to (in most cases like fender, gibson, etc.)
i think you have the wrong idea.

most people have no money to continuously buy another guitar, so with the money they initially have, they would buy the best guitar they could for their money. they also don't neglect tone; people dont look at pricey guitars only for the price.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
I totally agree. I bought my MIA Strat recently; yeah, money is tight, but I got what works because I am, in entirety, a musician, so why skimp out on my tools?
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
The best way to buy is try all guitars in your price range and then choose the one that looks right, plays right and sounds right. Buying a guitar without playing it unless you can't play the guitar means you will miss out on some really good guitars. So try everything even those that you don't really feel like playing.

Once you know what you want check the internet for prices, find the lowest and use that to get a good price at a local guitar shop with a good reputation. They may not match the price but the bit extra you pay is worth it in the service they will give you.

Thats what I do and that way you get the guitar you want for a good price. If you know what you are doing second hand guitars can give you an even better deal.
Sometimes it works out that some of the more inexpensive guitars actually turn out better, though. My local GC has a Taylor Big Baby Acoustic for $250, and I'm very much considering buying it over a $2000 Gibson I played just a few days ago because it fits me better than the Gibson. It's just a more basic design, no frills, nothing flashy. It's a "15/16," and I have a kinda small frame, so it fits better, and it just sounds clearer and better than most anything I've played over there. Given, they list for $450, but this thing has been sitting there for two years at least. Also, who can say no to a guitar that has the screws holding the neck in going right through the fretboard at the 16th fret? It adds character to the thing.
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Nov 26, 2009,
Well, I don't see why you can't get both, but I don't want a deal on something that I'm not going to be happy with. That being said, I don't need expensive gear to be happy (not that I really have the option ), but I do need it to play a certain way, feel right and sound good, and looks are really not that important.

I generally don't like to search for used deals on a guitar because it's a big hassle for me since I can't even tell if I want to buy something until I play it. I know people buy from ebay without ever playing, but I could never do that; besides, even if I can try it first I always feel somewhat pressured to buy even though I might not be sure I want it (and there are always problems that you never notice until you get it home) and you'd be surprised how easily insulted and nasty people can be if you don't want to buy their gear after trying it... it's just a big hassle.

So I basically find myself trying to find gems in new guitars that I can afford; and yes when it comes to buying new I definitely try to use every promotion and coupon that I can... but I can always take it back and try another if I don't like it.

Amps are a different story, there's much less variance between preowned amps than there is between preowned guitars... so if I can get a good deal on a used slightly used amp then I will always go that way.
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Nov 26, 2009,
^On the subject of eBay, I will NEVER buy something on there that I haven't tried before (an in a comparable model). For instance, I'm in the market for a '72 Telecaster Deluxe reissue at the moment, and those are very few and far between on places like craigslist inside my budget (~$500). However, eBay is full of them at about my price range because they're, for the most part, guitars made before Fender raised the price of the guitars, new, to $900. Those guitars used sell for $750+. I have enough faith in Fender Mexico's high-end quality to buy one somewhat blind. Like I said though, I would NEVER buy something I haven't tried at least a comparable model of.

I agree with the notion that price is unimportant if its a guitar you love, but only to a certain extent. For instance, I will buy a solid top/laminate sides-back guitar over an all-solid guitar if in fact the tone of the former is better and I enjoy the guitar more. However, I will not shell out obscene amounts of money just because I love the tone.

I value money since I'm a broke 17 year old with no job, which is why I appreciate the beauty of a used guitar. I've seen guitars for less than half their retail price in like-new condition before on craigslist and evil-bay. My idea of value is find your tone, and then get the best possible deal on said tone.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Nov 26, 2009,
You honestly don't get it? This whole site is populated with the people who could tell you. Most of us are not exactly rich enough to just buy a guitar because it's 'great'. We don't want a bad guitar but we still have to be able to survive as well. Also, think about it, a majority of these users are in bands, if they showed up to practice or such without a guitar saying 'I was going to get one, but I found this really great one, I'ma save up for that instead.' you would likely get the boot. I don't know or care to be more specific really, just my two cents.
So I don't get it, why doesn't anyone like Squiers?

GEAR:
Red Affinity Series Squire Fat Strat [guitar]

Little Big Muff Pi [pedal]
i said the best guitar you can afford. for some people, that might be a yamaha fg700s for $200 or seagull entourage s6 for just over $300 where for others it might be a gibson j-45 for $2400.

maybe i don't get it. if a guitar player has $129 to buy a crappy guitar, why not give a few guitar lessons or mow a few lawns or give up cable tv for one month or eat spaghetti instead of mcdonald's to make the difference to buy a $200 guitar or else buy a $200 to $300 guitar used for $150 or so?

one could get a $200 yamaha or $400 seagull by laying it away for $75 or $100 and then paying it off across 6 months. as far as what you say about being in a band, if that person is already playing in a band, it seems that they already have a guitar, so they could just keep playing what they have for a while longer. or could buy something decent from AMS and pay for it over 3 or 5 months and get it immediately. or go used with something decent rather than getting a low quality guitar.

i really wanted a rickenbacker bass - wanted one for over 15 years. i can't really afford one, but finally laid a used one away at guitar center and it took me the better part of a year to pay it off, $100 at a time. yes, i hated to wait to get it, but i ended up with what is for me the PERFECT bass. i did without some things i would have ordinarily bought in order to pay for it. we gave up cable tv to pay for it, and the little extra things we usually buy. and i did a little side work. it was worth it to me.

Quote by Tsuwibble
You honestly don't get it? This whole site is populated with the people who could tell you. Most of us are not exactly rich enough to just buy a guitar because it's 'great'. We don't want a bad guitar but we still have to be able to survive as well. Also, think about it, a majority of these users are in bands, if they showed up to practice or such without a guitar saying 'I was going to get one, but I found this really great one, I'ma save up for that instead.' you would likely get the boot. I don't know or care to be more specific really, just my two cents.
Last edited by patticake at Nov 26, 2009,